• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski recommendations east coast

Denis Head

Booting up
Skier
Hello

i am new to the forum but have been reading quite a bit. I am looking for new skis and looking for recommendations. I am an advanced intermediate skier that skis front side most of time but I am looking for a fun easy ski that can handle the hardstuff and the crud at the end of day or spring. I ski the soft bumps and don’t venture much into the bush. I currently have dynastar powertracks 89 that I like but find stiff and tiring. I weigh 195lbs and I am 5ft8. I was thinking of the Elan Wingman 86cti, 88 ripstick or blizzard bushwacker. What would you recommend or maybe there are other skis.

thanks

Denis

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Hello

i am new to the forum but have been reading quite a bit. I am looking for new skis and looking for recommendations. I am an advanced intermediate skier that skis front side most of time but I am looking for a fun easy ski that can handle the hardstuff and the crud at the end of day or spring. I ski the soft bumps and don’t venture much into the bush. I currently have dynastar powertracks 89 that I like but find stiff and tiring. I weigh 195lbs and I am 5ft8. I was thinking of the Elan Wingman 86cti, 88 ripstick or blizzard bushwacker. What would you recommend or maybe there are other skis.

thanks

Denis

Think you’re on the right track with the skis you’ve got listed and would add K2 Ikonic 84 and wouldn’t rule out the Brahma(either one) if the right length is chosen.

The Powertrack 89 was a bit of an odd ski as it was quite soft up front and quite stiff at the back, had lots of tip/tail taper like a powder ski then no tail rocker. That stiff tail and no tail rocker made it less forgiving, the soft tip/shovel made it not great in crud and the tip/tail taper is great for soft snow/powder but not for grip on harder snow. All the new ski options will be easier to ski and more versatile for you I think.

What length did you ski of the Powertrack 89?

noggin

Getting on the lift
Skier
Welcome Denis! That is a great question and one we enjoy talking about here immensely at PugSki.
I believe here in the east you can go narrower and get a great mixed conditions ski that excels on the hard pack. My two favorites, that I own, for the east are The Head Titan(80MM waist) and the Salomon Max Bold (83mm waist). I used to ski the Nordica Enforcer 93 as a daily driver but knees kept hurting at the end of the day.
Demo if you can!

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I would tend to go narrower than 88 or 89. I like the Titan or Max Bold suggestion. In general for my daily driver I tend to like something under 80mm for the east. I have a set of Head Rallys that I like and frankly I might go a little narrower for my next skis. The Stockli AX would probably be great. I would imagine that Quebec is similar to VT for conditions and there is way more hard pack than anything else.

TS
D

Denis Head

Booting up
Skier
Think you’re on the right track with the skis you’ve got listed and would add K2 Ikonic 84 and wouldn’t rule out the Brahma(either one) if the right length is chosen.

The Powertrack 89 was a bit of an odd ski as it was quite soft up front and quite stiff at the back, had lots of tip/tail taper like a powder ski then no tail rocker. That stiff tail and no tail rocker made it less forgiving, the soft tip/shovel made it not great in crud and the tip/tail taper is great for soft snow/powder but not for grip on harder snow. All the new ski options will be easier to ski and more versatile for you I think.

What length did you ski of the Powertrack 89?

I ski the 172 or 173

TS
D

Denis Head

Booting up
Skier
I would tend to go narrower than 88 or 89. I like the Titan or Max Bold suggestion. In general for my daily driver I tend to like something under 80mm for the east. I have a set of Head Rallys that I like and frankly I might go a little narrower for my next skis. The Stockli AX would probably be great. I would imagine that Quebec is similar to VT for conditions and there is way more hard pack than anything else.

I will look into the wingman 82 cti, the Brahma looks very stiff and that’s why I was thinking of thé bushwacker
I do want a ski that is forgiving and fun especially at the end of the day.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
If you skied the 172cm size of the Powertrack, I’d choose the similar size in the Bushwacker for a ski that’s FAR more more forgiving but is still going to be good in crud etc. With the Brahma, you could go to the 166cm and get an even easier to pivot ski that will still be stable for your size.

The Ikonic 84 in 170cm would be an excellent choice. Like the Bushwacker/Brahma they have a metal Ti version and a more forgiving, lighter version without metal. Both are more forgiving than your old ski but more stable and have a shape that’s more forgiving in crud or moguls than carver skis like the iTitan(which are actually stiffer and less forgiving in tail flex than the Brahma and also in shape in crud/moguls). Ikonic would be in between a carver ski and versatile frontside ski. Great grip yet very versatile.

Last edited:

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you skied the 172cm size of the Powertrack, I’d choose the similar size in the Bushwacker for a ski that’s FAR more more forgiving but is still going to be good in crud etc. With the Brahma, you could go to the 166cm and get an even easier to pivot ski that will still be stable for your size.

The Ikonic 84 in 170cm would be an excellent choice. Like the Bushwacker/Brahma they have a metal Ti version and a more forgiving, lighter version without metal. Both are more forgiving than your old ski but more stable and have a shape that’s more forgiving in crud or moguls than carver skis like the iTitan(which are actually stiffer and less forgiving in tail flex than the Brahma and also in shape in crud/moguls). Ikonic would be in between a carver ski and versatile frontside ski. Great grip yet very versatile.

I can't find any recent review on the Ikonic 84 TI. Are they good for east coast (mainly Catskills)?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I can't find any recent review on the Ikonic 84 TI. Are they good for east coast (mainly Catskills)?

As you will see in these reviews, the Ikonic skis(80 and 84 versions both available in a metal Ti version or without metal version) are perfect for someone in the East or West hat wants a front side ski that grips hard snow almost as good as a carving ski yet is more forgiving of turn shapes and friendlier in the bumps. Kinda in between a carving ski and an all mountain ski.

The all mountain skis sacrifice carving chops for a bit more off piste capability which it sounds like you’re not interested in. The Ikonic could still go off piste and would do a better job there than most carving skis but not as good as an all mountain shaped ski like a Brahma would do there.

https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2017-2018-k2-ikonic-84-ti

https://blisterreview.com/winter-buyers-guide

Open the guide and go to page 46 onward to see short descriptions of many popular front side skis in this class and a comparison at the end.

Talked to 2 Ikonic 84 ski owners today on my hills opening day and both LOVED THEM. One rented them during a holiday and bought a pair when he returned home and the other tried on a demo day and bought a pair the next day.

TS
D

Denis Head

Booting up
Skier

Really great information, I will look into the shorter ski option, would be easier to ski but do you think they are long enough considering my weight 195lb?
In the end I need to find a place to demo but there aren’t many places here that have a lot of options.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The 170cm Ti versions would be fine for your size and ability I think. More advanced skiers your weight should be on the 177cm. Think the 80Ti is a bit more forgiving vs the 84Ti so that’s might be an option instead of going to the non Ti version with your size.

Popular demo rental skis as it’s so versatile so doubt you’ll have too much trouble seeing it somewhere. Lots of demo places selling last years models off a big deals too so worst case you could flip it if you don’t love them without losing much.

https://www.powder7.com/sale-skis/search.php?q=Ikonic

TS
D

Denis Head

Booting up
Skier

I can traded in my olds skis skis with my other equipment lying around at a local shop that carries Blizzard and get a brand new pair of blizzard Brahma 82 or bushwacker including bindings. I am not sure what to chose. What would you recommend and what length?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The 173cm Bushwacker would be a playful, forgiving ski that would still be good in the bumps and stable at your size. The 166cm Brahma 82 will be quicker edge to edge, better edge grip, more powerful but still lighter and easier to ski than your 172cm Dynastar skis. Either would be better than what you have but I’d lean towards the 166cm Brahma 82 myself. Griffon 13 or Attack2 13 for bindings with my preference towards the Attacks but both are nice solid but light bindings.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
If bushwacker hasn't changed much over the year, no way I would do 173cm in east coast. Way to soft. I'm 5'9, 155#.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
I will look into the wingman 82 cti, the Brahma looks very stiff and that’s why I was thinking of thé bushwacker
I do want a ski that is forgiving and fun especially at the end of the day.

If you are going to look at a Blizzard, don’t pass over the Rustler 9 172. Great New England daily driver.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Since it sounds like this will be your only ski, something in the mis 80s makes sense. My favorite ski in that size range is the Head Monster 88.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Head V8. A very capable advancing intermediate through advanced ski that is more forgiving and less demanding than some others. Similar shape to the Supershape iRally but lighter and more "friendly".

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
If you are going to look at a Blizzard, don’t pass over the Rustler 9 172. Great New England daily driver.

I think for a daily driver on the east coast 92mm is wider than optimal. To me an east coast daily driver should be 80ish mm or less. Unless you live near a ski site you go up on weekends and ski what the conditions are on that day. I know that is the way I ski. The day is very rare and fortunate when there is lots of soft snow that the Rustler would be ideal for. You would be under optimal performance for 90% of the days. I would rather have fun with a less than optimal ski on a powder or soft snow day then struggle on the hard pack/frozen conditions that are much more regular in the east.

I like the V8 recommendation of @Andy Mink. While wider than my preferred a Monster 83 would work fine in that slot also.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid