• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Recommendation

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
What's your hard pack ski?
My hard snow skis (all full cambered all 68 mm waist):
I have an older Fischer RC4 WC SC, 165 cm, 13 m radius full camber no rocker no early rise, almost a full-on race ski for smaller hills. I got it when I weighed 165 lbs, lost 45 lbs last year, but it still rocks for me, once I get it up to 35 mph.

I have an antique Kastle National Team Super Giant Slalom ski for misbehaving at large hills, 208 cm, 70 m radius. It was my one-ski quiver, 'till I bought the SC. (in my younger days I was a bit of a speed addict)

To fill the gap I've bought a couple of bargain pair at deep discount. I have a 2002 190 cm Volant Machete G, mid twenties radius. Works well except due to the stainless steel cap I have to go with a 1:1 tune, so not the best for ice, and I have a 2002 188 cm Volkl P50 F1 Energy, mid twenties radius. Works well enough to give you plenty of confidence to attempt stupid stuff, but does not have the longitudinal stiffness to rescue your butt when you do (softer than the Volant), so unless it's icy I'm on the SC or the Machete. At my new lower weight maybe I need to give it another good try.

Would buy a GS if it were not for my next purchase is going to be a deep snow tree ski. Mostly, I patrol at a (very) small hill, so not really that much need for a GS.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wait.... you weighed 165lbs and lost 45?????

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yes, and that was when I was still on the see food eat food diet and eating as if I were feeding a dozen tape worms. Now I'm holding at 120 - 123 lbs on the diabetic low carb, almost no sugar, but not too much protien, and no alcohol diet (I miss my beer! EDIT: and my sugar pie, and butter tarts, and scotch, and margaritas and spaghetti and lasagna and....).

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Now I'm holding at 120 - 123 lbs on the diabetic low carb, almost no sugar, but not too much protien, and no alcohol diet

Well, that's....lightweight. How tall are you? How does it feel now compared to before?

I need to take a page out of your book diet-wise as I consider myself lucky if I can go bellow 175 in the summer and significantly more in the winter.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Well, that's....lightweight. How tall are you? How does it feel now compared to before?

I need to take a page out of your book diet-wise as I consider myself lucky if I can go bellow 175 in the summer and significantly more in the winter.
My diet has always (until I got diagnosed with diabetes) been eat as much of whatever you want whenever you want, but make sure you exercise enough to burn up all the calories. Energy in - energy out = energy stored. Looking back, I'm thinking maybe I should have eaten less sugar.

My Volants are now too stiff for me, whereas at 165 they were a tiny bit too long, but not too stiff, and at 150 lbs they were one size too long and stiff.

Sponsor

Staff online