• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stefan

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I passed down my skis to my growing son (head ipeak pro 172 cm), and need new skis! I am a 48yo advance (not expert) 5'11" 185lbs skier, mostly skiing groomed trails in the east.

Since I'm not getting younger, I think I am looking at a forgiving ski, but I still like to carve fast.

I am looking at mid to upper 170 for length. My question would be on width. Current skis are 78. What width range should I be looking at? Would 84 be too wide for east coast groomed trails, or would I be better off with something much thinner than my current skis?

There are sweet deals up here on blizzard quattro skis, and the width ranges from 69 to 84. There is also a good deal on volkl rtm81.

Thanks

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Love my Rossi Hero's ST's. 68 underfoot. You're missing a demo at Mont Ste Marie TODAY!! Check in with Knudstat's for their demo tour. It's on facebook, or call one of the stores.

TS
S

Stefan

Skier
Thanks for the heads up, will definitely look into it.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
For a single ski for the east, I would look at an all-mountain ski with width from the mid 70s to mid 80s. The narrow side if you mainly ski groomers and wider side if you like to venture off them. You say you want something forgiving but will still will carve on firm eastern groomers. Lots of choices. I am a Fischer and Head fan. For Heads, the Rally, Monster 83, V8 and V10 all come to mind. For Fischers, one of the new RC Ones, or a leftover ProMtn 86 would work. I'll let others chime in on other brands, but you do want something with above average hard snow grip. It is for the east.

CBR

Booting up
Skier

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Blizzard Brahma 82 or Head Monster 83. Both would kill it...do kill it...on groomers...while also offering some off piste versatility

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I skied the Brahma 82 out at Lake Louise this fall. Yes, great eastern all mountain ski, but for the Gatineau hills...a tuned down slalom would be a better tool.

Ski essentials is a great shop, but with a 30% premium to bring anything into Canada....not in my price range and I would suspect the OP's either...

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Liberty V76 or V82, Stockli AX or AR, Rossi Hero Elite Plus Ti, Head V10, Nordica Navigator 85, or one of the Volkl Deacons all come to mind.

TS
S

Stefan

Skier
Thank you all for the great advice. I rarely ski the Gatineau hills, preferring bigger mountains. We actually have a family trip in upper Vermont coming beginning of March. Seems the skiessentials store is in Stowe, so I could pick up a pair at the start of the vacation. There are very good deals on 2019 Volkls (always wanted to have Volkls since skiing my friend's ones quite a while back). Looking at a width between 75 and 85, choices would be:
-Deacon 76
-RTM 81
-RTM 84

All are about the same price, and have very good reviews. I saw a deacon 84 at a local store, it's so wide compared to what I'm used too, so I'm a bit worried for east coast carving. At the same time, the 84 could maybe allow for a future west coast trip without renting over there....

Which one would you recommend I go with?

Sponsor

Staff online