• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
Any recommendations?
Background: Maybe it's a bad idea, but we have a car that doesn't get used much, and ends up being more of a garage queen, and I wouldn't mind taking it out on a short ski weekend trip here or there. It has AWD, snow tires and even the ability to lift the air suspension a couple inches for deeper snow.
Downside is it is a soft top convertible- it is insulated so warmth isn't the issue. The issue is how to bring skis. The trunk pass through doesn't exist because of some factory upgrade stereo amplifier in the way.
Does anyone have a suggestion or have experience with one of the below ideas I saw online ? The suction one might work since the rear window is glass, but I don't know how well those suction devices work at speed on a highway with the forces wind and skis would exert. The other trunk one bolts on and I cringe about the possible paint damage, however it might be the a more secure possibility.

Ski_Rack_Instagram_4__46123.1487378029.PNG.jpeg
Ski_Rack_2017_No_1_2017__91647.1522011361.png.jpeg
convertible-ski-rack-1024x821.jpg
convertible-ski-rack.png

TS
AlpsSkidad

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
@Philpug - I am good with that scenario, but my wife "doesn't like cold weather", so I consider it a huge win that I have her skiing. I'm not sure I should push my luck...

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Install some Xpel on the car where the rack would rest on the paint. I am considering having a trailer hitch installed behind the license place so I can use a hitch mounted bike rack: www.willwoodsystem.com

TS
AlpsSkidad

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
Install some Xpel on the car where the rack would rest on the paint. I am considering having a trailer hitch installed behind the license place so I can use a hitch mounted bike rack: www.willwoodsystem.com

Thanks @bbinder - I am aware of those hitch mounts, but just to make this project idea more difficult, I am not willing to cut, drill, weld anything onto this car. It's a nice car, and while I love to drive it, I want to keep it original. Just was hoping to find something that might work so that I can drive it more and enjoy the trip to and from the mountain that much more. It's too bad there is no hard top option for it.
Xpel or other clear films would be a possible idea. The front of the car is covered in it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is/was a license plate hitch mount, one came with my first yellow Miata. I am guessing that they are not made any more. I listed mine for sale locally and I immediately got a call from someone fron Colorado that was willing to pay extra for it and reward my time to ship it to him. His Nigerian Prince uncle would cover the extra costs. Kidding about the last part. ;) Here are pictures of it, if you can find a 1 1/4" hitch mount rack this might be an option too.
fullsizeoutput_6224.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_621e.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_6226.jpeg

TS
AlpsSkidad

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
@Philpug that's a cool mount! I can see why the Nigerian's nephew would want it.
The vertical license plate area is in the soft bumper material so I am not sure if it would be structurally sound enough to support that rack assuming the vertical surface isn't solid enough .
Maybe this is heading to be an exercise in futility.

Last edited:

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
42D6C01F-981D-4597-9B7D-B8D05FD45350.jpeg
I SO want to drop off our U-14 at the training center in THIS!!!

(Good luck with your search it can be done).

Gatopescado

I never go to the base lodge
Skier
I've got a Fiat Spider with a factory luggage rack on the trunk lid. I got ahold of a handlebar rifle holder setup and modified it to fit the rack. Works pretty well.

I'm guessing you don't have a rack on your trunk, however.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
suction one might work since the rear window is glass, but I don't know how well those suction devices work at speed on a highway with the forces wind and skis would exert.

Even with a rack secured to a glass window, a window in a soft top vs hard top is not a good idea, imo.

A trunk mounted rack with a thin soft material or rubber between ski rack clamp and trunk lid is what I would suggest. Also straps running from the leading edge of the trunk lid to the ski rack would add extra wind speed protection.

TS
AlpsSkidad

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
I've got a Fiat Spider with a factory luggage rack on the trunk lid. I got ahold of a handlebar rifle holder setup and modified it to fit the rack. Works pretty well.

I'm guessing you don't have a rack on your trunk, however.

Correct, no rack on the boot lid. looking for something temporary/removable.

TS
AlpsSkidad

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
Even with a rack secured to a glass window, a window in a soft top vs hard top is not a good idea, imo.

A trunk mounted rack with a thin soft material or rubber between ski rack clamp and trunk lid is what I would suggest. Also straps running from the leading edge of the trunk lid to the ski rack would add extra wind speed protection.

Thanks, I tend to agree that the window isn't a good fixed mounting spot. I am still researching temporary/removable options for the boot/trunk lid.

Sponsor