• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski prep and storage.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Just needed to put more skis away last night. I summer prepped 7 pairs last night. Instead of just staring at them I decided to actually take care of them and then put them up until winter.

1591902828110.png

1591902838705.png

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, but fortunately they are in my basement. Only 20+ pairs to go.

Been a busy few months. :)

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
We fled Europe back to the US in mid march when everything was shutting down. Basically the day after the kid's school announced they would close for COVID. Skis were all in our storage room/workshop. I regret not waxing them after returning from our last training and races , but normally I do that the few days before we go. No idea when we will get back there to take a look- maybe not even until the Fall/Winter, so I hav no idea what to expect the condition of the bases and edges will be when we return. The space is not cooled in the summer.
I guess worst case I can use it to tell my wife that we need to buy new skis! The kids will probably need new race skis anyways due to growth.

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Were the skis dried very, very well before storage? Most. Important.

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
Were the skis dried very, very well before storage? Most. Important.
Yes, completely dry. Separated so not base to base, and just leaned against the wall.
Just summertime temps in a non climate controlled room are probably between 80-90 plus some humidity like 50%. We regularly tune and wax, so whatever was still in the bases is what is there. Race type wax on the kids, normal CH stuff on mine and my wife's.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Question for the waxer experts: is there any reason NOT to use a final baked in coat of fluorinated race butter for summer time storage in a climate controlled environment? Discovered butter for wet spring snow a couple of years ago and hypothesized it should keep bases in excellent condition as the last application prior to putting away fro the summer. rub on, cork in a bit, then set in direct sun for absorption, final wipe down to remove liquid excess, then into 65 F for the entire summer/fall. Seems like the perfect way to eliminate some work starting up the next season ..... and so easy too!

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't think I have ever applied summer storage wax. The worst thing I have seen is some light rust where the ski straps are holding the tips and tails together. I could take off all the straps and that will probably solve that issue. I will say that if I let a ski sit for say, 5 years without wax and without using it, there will be light rust on the edges and the bottoms might have some whiteish oxidation on them. So I do agree storage wax is a good thing, and if your skis are in high humidity, then a very necessary thing.

I have now applied DPS Phantom to all my skis, and I wonder if that eliminates the need for summer wax. I suspect not, as it doesn't do anything for the edges. I suppose I can put a thin layer of glide wax (Dominator Zoom) on them and then just let it wear off at the beginning of next season. My son and wife don't ski nearly as often as I do, so probably it would make sense to wax their skis for the summer (they have Phantom as well).

Sponsor

Staff online