• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Pole Baskets

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I picked up a new pair poles and they came with two sets of baskets. One was the snowflake type and the other is the small cap type. So I thought it would be good to find out some of your ideas on baskets.

When answering this tell me snowflake or cap type basket and why?

Thanks

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Small basket is for skiers who ski mostly groomed, hardpack, etc. Small baskets don't "catch" on the return and are lighter.
Big baskets are powder baskets, designed for handling deep, off-piste conditions. They provide more of a platform in the deep.
Which you mount depends on which condition you mostly ski.

Some people (like me, b/c I happen to have two sets of adjustable backcountry poles) actually have two sets of poles mounted with different baskets.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My poles have two sets as well... I plan to have the small ones on most of the time, and put the bigger ones on if I expect to ski any deeper stuff.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I picked up a new pair poles and they came with two sets of baskets. One was the snowflake type and the other is the small cap type. So I thought it would be good to find out some of your ideas on baskets.

When answering this tell me snowflake or cap type basket and why?

Thanks

There are two other significant styles that you did not reference - aerodynamic cone baskets (racers) and touring baskets (just as large as your powder baskets (or bigger) and either asymmetrical or mounted on a flexible platform, so that the front end doesn't dig into the upslope snow when climbing (or pushing behind you)). The latter type has evolved into XC baskets.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The snowflake baskets are called powder baskets. They work fine for hard snow and a lot better for soft snow.

n black

Booting up
Skier
Since I quit racing, I've only kept powder baskets on my poles. Big baskets do fine for general purpose groomed condition skiing (if you look back in time, all baskets were big by today's standards, even those on racer's poles), but small baskets are no fun at all in the deeper stuff.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Here is a pic of touring baskets in downhill action - notice the basket on the right is deflecting up off the snow. I don't have a good pic of them adapting to uphill slope angle yet, sorry.

199695_10150217314201138_1260381_n.jpg

Photo by @Philpug, April 2011

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Remember the Scott "Pointless"? No basket or point, just a 1" diameter metal inverted cup where the point is on other ski poles.. Looked like a wrist JARRING idea to me. Someone here has some, @Dave Petersen or @Doug Briggs ???

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Remember the Scott "Pointless"? No basket or point, just a 1" diameter metal inverted cup where the point is on other ski poles.. Looked like a wrist JARRING idea to me. Someone here has some, @Dave Petersen or @Doug Briggs ???

It is Doug.

Yes, it is.

And yes they were. Pointless - no tips but WHY? They jarred the whole arm as they were springy. While they are a great addition to a few outfits, they really are not fun to ski with.

2013-01-16_09-38-24_165.jpg
2013-01-16_09-38-47_208.jpg
2013-01-16_09-38-53_785.jpg

17799045_10154492622923947_2473987013896394175_n.jpg

The gloves were a mistake. I had two vintage gloves in the truck. Both were rights.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Yes, it is.

And yes they were. Pointless - no tips but WHY? The jarred the whole arm as they were springy. While they are a great addition to a few outfits, they really are not fun to ski with.

View attachment 37297 View attachment 37298 View attachment 37299

View attachment 37300
The gloves were a mistake. I had two vintage gloves in the truck. Both were rights.

I'll retro race you someday. I'll go with my split tails and Lange XLs. How fun that would be!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.