• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Plug Removal

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
Is there a good way to remove plugs from filled in drill holes? If possible, I’d like to reuse the holes on a plugged ski as I have the same binding and it’s within my size.

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am assuming you are talking about the plastic ones? Either way you can just drill them out with a 3.5 and it should be fine. I do have to throw some caution out as this does not always work. You can also have them tapped and put some sort of insert into the ski, they hold very well.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, the plastic plugs.

Is that 3.5mm drill bit?

Yes. I do it frequently in the shop. Use a collared bit if possible to prevent going too deep.

Often times you drill into the plug and leave a little bit of the plug in the hole. Don't worry about it. It will get squished and might make putting the screw in a tiny bit harder, but it will hold. Other times, when you pull the bit out, the plug will come out attached to the bit. Don't worry about it.

I would recommend against re-tapping the hole. It had a screw in it before, so it won't need it.

Put waterproof glue in the hole. I avoid epoxy as it can sometimes take too tenacious a grip on the screw so that removal is difficult or near impossible. The glue is to provide some retention, but mostly to seal the hole against moisture.

Do try to get the threads of the screw into the threads of the hole. You can do this by slowly turning the screw counter-clockwise in the hole while applying a slight downward pressure. You'll have it aligned when the screw 'drops' into the hole. Stop counter-clockwise turning and begin clock-wise turning.

TS
oswaldr2

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
Is there a standard depth to set the collared drill bit, or would that depend on the ski? For reference they are Salomon Q115’s.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Personally I use a slightly smaller drill through the center of the plug to let you pull pull it out. I may not be as accurate as Doug but I have found it can be difficult to get properly centered on the plug unless you have the jig, (and have it exactly lined up) and you then run the risk of enlarging the hole.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Personally I use a slightly smaller drill through the center of the plug to let you pull pull it out. I may not be as accurate as Doug but I have found it can be difficult to get properly centered on the plug unless you have the jig, (and have it exactly lined up) and you then run the risk of enlarging the hole.

A jig makes it a lot easier, but you also need to be really careful locating it to line up perfectly with the old holes.

I use little pressure so if the drill 'swims' its way through the plug it might graze the core/topsheet, but int will follow the existing hole pretty reliably. Knock on wood, I haven't messed up a previously plugged hole yet. ;)

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online