• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Nitrobunny

Taking care of business...it’s what I do.
Skier
There’s a new Ski Patrol member in the making. PisteOff’s prodigy started his classes tonight So proud of him for answering the call to keep our slopes safe. Yay Kevin!
BBF64597-A920-46C8-AB53-6ECCB2C8455B.jpeg

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@PisteOff maybe you can get him to do a thread documenting the program. I think there may be some folks with an interest here.
I'll talk to him. His step dad just died unexpectedly and tragically. I was happy to see that he pulled himself away from all that is going on to carry through with this. Bodes well..... He will have his driver's license within the next week or two as well. The young man is growing up. I think he will make a great patroller. He has patrol training twice a week until October when he tests for Patroller. Then he will have to work the hill through the season and do the on hill transport/alpine training etc. We are all excited for him and looking forward to watching his development through the program.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
wow you guys get an early start, I don't think we start the OEC till Aug, but we also won't be testing till early Nov.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Woo! Ski Patrol has been one of the most fulfilling and door opening groups I've ever been in. Made friends in University because I had a NSP shirt on at orientation and met a couple other students who also were ski patrollers, I've met many great leaders that have taught me more than a thing or two, and mostly I've gained a group of friends throughout the country even if I have not met them yet, we share a great connection through patrolling.

My Region has mostly done away with summer courses now, we have done summer classes in the past, but we always had difficulty getting potential candidates for a summer course as no one is really thinking about winter or skiing during the snowless months. We now do OEC as a self study, self paced class during the ski season as it seems to work better with everyones busy schedules nowdays. Our instructors spend the beginning of every ski day doing a OEC module with practice and then the afternoon is spent on the slopes doing toboggan and ski skills. Toboggan and ski skills are of course done throughout the OEC course time so we can teach our candidates how to integrate OEC with the unique challenges that Ski Patrol actually sees on the slopes. Most finish during the ski season from December to March and end up testing for their final at the end of March. I actually prefer our self paced course now as it seems to produce more dedicated patrollers as they had to motivate themselves to complete the course.. as a volunteer patrol director, I value that sort of motivation because I simply don't have time to badger people into becoming a patroller if they are not motivated to do it.

TS
Nitrobunny

Nitrobunny

Skier
I am so very excited for him. There were about as many instructors as there were students and he seems to be very happy to begin his studies. Kevin is a young man who is very passionate and “all in” when it comes to things he’s made a commitment to. An example of this was when he broke his leg in a car accident last year and couldn’t perform his normal part in competitive drum line, he literally learned a non marching part in under a week well enough to perform it to perfection in competition. Another thing I just love about him was when he was challenged with the mountains of the West for the first time. Unlike the molehill he learned on, Mammoth (where I spent much of my youth) was something he never experienced. We have video of him cussing and swearing when he wiped out but every single time he got back up and went after it no matter how hurt, angry or pissed off hr was, he kept on going. This last ski season he really got to test his mettle at several mountains with his father and I can see he’s happier than anywhere else when he’s on skis. A month ago Kevin immediately jumped into a pool to rescue his 2 year old nephew who had fallen in and was at the bottom of it. I’m told he did so without hesitation and was the only one who did jump in. I’m not surprised. Kevin has the right stuff. I spent a great deal of my career training and working with men and women who have what it takes to be great at what they do. I know it when I see it and I saw it in Kevin and his devoted father who has taken so much time to show his son what it means to be a man. I think Kevin made an excellent choice in Ski Patrol and I can’t wait to see where the future takes him.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So I just got off the phone with him and mentioned this thread to him. He is really stoked about the patrol. Really stoked. He says he will login and share. We will be spending the holiday weekend together rebuilding the front end and doing a bunch of maintenance on a 2003 Ford Explorer that his mom hasn't driven in a few years now. He is ready to take his road test and get his drivers license. So he is pretty excited. He says he sees the patrol being a big part of his future and wants to take his training all the way. I'm happy for him, and proud like only a father can be of his son. I'm interested to see what he would write as well.

TS
Nitrobunny

Nitrobunny

Skier
He’s really on fire with his studies and truly enjoying spending time with his cohorts. He comes bouncing out of class enthusiastic and happy. I’ve always said the sun doesn’t shine as bright as Kevin does when he’s truly happy. I’ve been shuttling him back and forth across town until he gets his wheels on the road and passes his road test for his license which, with the help of his father is eminent. I have no doubt he will ace this as he does everything else he applies himself too. He also just scored in the top three percent in the nation on his SATs. The world is truly his and what he chooses to make it. I share his father’s sentiment of being excitied to see where the future takes him.

TS
Nitrobunny

Nitrobunny

Skier
Kevin in his natural habit when not skiing or in school. He’s a fan of lobster. I once had to explain to his father why I bought him four lobster tails LOL. He’s a great kid.
935208DF-EDCF-464C-80C6-5DBDF901CA0A.jpeg

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well he passed his mid-terms last week. He's as stoked as ever and really enjoying the experience thus far. He definitely won't be in Michigan must past his graduation from high school this coming year!

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
He’s doing really good. They’re off this week. Now that the season draws near he might start poking his head into PugSki for some stoke.
Looking forward to hearing from him....Tell him that for extra OEC credit he has to write a 2000 word essay on OEC class and post it here on Pugski.:D

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, here we are.....Today @ChunderBlunder graduated the OEC with the National Ski Patrol. He's got 4 consecutive days patrolling this season already. His alpine training commences tomorrow. His peers think and speak very highly of the young man. I watched him on his first call last night when a young boy broke his collar bone. I am very proud of him. Congratulations Kevin!!

View media item 2932View media item 2931

TS
Nitrobunny

Nitrobunny

Skier
Well, here we are.....Today @ChunderBlunder graduated the OEC with the National Ski Patrol. He's got 4 consecutive days patrolling this season already. His alpine training commences tomorrow. His peers think and speak very highly of the young man. I watched him on his first call last night when a young boy broke his collar bone. I am very proud of him. Congratulations Kevin!!

View media item 2932View media item 2931

Congratulations are also due to the proud father for facilitating the making of a young man’s dream into a reality. He’s the driving force who took Kevin’s casual interest and showed his son the possibility of making a career out of doing something you love.

Sponsor