• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I wish I'd known that patrol does this. In December at Killlington I was taken out by the hit n run snowboarder on a black. I wasn't injured but my nerves were so toast and my confidence obliterated from what I considered a very traumatic experience that I would have loved a ride down the rest of the trail. I layed there for a good 15 minutes getting my wits about me before getting up and skiing down the rest of the trail I had countless people ski by me asking me if I was ok. I hope this never happens again but I was secretly wishing a patroller with a sled just happened by.

Yes. I always stop when I see someone down, to see if they need patrol. Well, not always, sometimes it's not safe. Unfortunately, sometimes the person tells you they are resting. In the middle of the run. Sigh. What gives?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Yes. I always stop when I see someone down, to see if they need patrol. Well, not always, sometimes it's not safe. Unfortunately, sometimes the person tells you they are resting. In the middle of the run. Sigh. What gives?

I do that too, sometimes I see them go down and I'll bring them their poles because I know I appreciate when someone does that for me. I always ask if someone is ok if they are down. I've had to blast down before and alert patrol a couple times. In my incident I moved myself over to the side of the trail to minimize my being in anyone's way. I had someone tell me they were resting once too, at least they were on the side though.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I think it would be fun to be on ski patrol one day. However, I'm not an advanced skier so as an intermediate I think the Bromley's, Mount Snow's and the Killington's of the world are beyond my reach because I can't ski the entire mountains which I'm assuming you have to be able to do to work as a patroller. I believe that would limit me to the smaller hills such as Butternut in western Massachusetts. They have 22 trails including 4 blacks and I can ski the entire mountain. Somewhere like that I'm assuming might be a good place to start to gain some experience. Still having fun and learning lots as an instructor so not ready yet but just thinking of the future.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^ maybe not. I would check with Patrol at the location you are considering. They may have different levels of patrol including an entry level or have different teams that do a little different job. I would also check on what the requirements are on the medical side. EMT or OEC? Do they provide certification training or do you need that up front to apply. Being able to ski all over is just one piece and may not be required when starting out.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
We have some people who are on our patrol who are not strong skiers. While we would like all our people to be qualified to pull sleds we know that's not realistic. I personally love to pull sleds and because of that I station on the hill 95% of the time. I really dislike working the aid room and most of the time I take a support role in on hill injuries. However if I'm on the scene 80% of the time I'll pull the sled regardless of who delivered it. I'm not afraid of the Med work I just don't like doing it. Some mountains require that all their patrollers be able to ski the whole mountain but from the chatter I hear it's not all that many. As a matter of fact people that are not that strong of skiers that are out on the working face doing intermediate and beginner runs free up the really strong skiers to work the more exacting terrain.
You may be surprised at the value you can bring to a patrol and conversely the value that being on the patrol can bring to you.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Thank you :). I definitely would LOVE to be out patroling the mountain as opposed to being in the first aid room. I'm good on any blue I've ever skied for example and even the occasional black. Even now when free skiing around I'm always bringing someone their poles if they go down, scurrying down to get patrol if someone's gone down and needs help or simply helping someone up from a fall that's having a hard time clicking in their binding due to angle of the slope, etc. My very patient SO is used to waiting for me because there's a good chance I'm helping someone along our way down the run.

I've never pulled a sled but I have a feeling I'd be good at it because side slipping is something I've worked hard on and I'm in a wedge much of the time when I'm working as I teach beginner and novice adults. I've only been instructing for 3 seasons and I'm still very much enjoying this but I definitely know I'd love to patrol in the future.

I wasn't sure being an expert skier was in the deck for me so thanks for giving me hope I can still do this

:beercheer:

Last edited:

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Thank you :). I definitely would LOVE to be out patroling the mountain as opposed to being in the first aid room. I'm good on any blue I've ever skied for example and even the occasional black. Even now when free skiing around I'm always bringing someone their poles if they go down, scurrying down to get patrol if someone's gone down and needs help or simply helping someone up from a fall that's having a hard time clicking in their binding due to angle of the slope, etc. My very patient SO is used to waiting for me because there's a good chance I'm helping someone along our way down the run.

I've never pulled a sled but I have a feeling I'd be good at it because side slipping is something I've worked hard on and I'm in a wedge much of the time when I'm working as I teach beginner and novice adults. I've only been instructing for 3 seasons and I'm still very much enjoying this but I definitely know I'd love to patrol in the future.

I wasn't sure being an expert skier was in the deck for me so thanks for giving me hope I can still do this

:beercheer:
you would be absolutely amazed at how your skiing will progress from doing patrol work especially the sled. For me at least it went from conscious thought about what I was doing to being an autonomic response to what I was feeling under my skis. It's funny....now when I talk about skiing most of the conversation is about the feeling instead of the technique.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

I do the same and occasionally point out that they may not be in the best place to stop. Strangest one I came across was a snowboarder sitting in the middle of a narrow cat track (Road Runner at Mammoth). Not hurt, or even (as far as I could tell) messing with bindings or anything. I think I just yelled something like "that's a terrible place to stop" as I went by.

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
We give the odd ride down.Usually if they close to the bottom we will carry there gear while they bumski. During sweep we would use snowmobile. We have talked more than a few people down a hill that was over there heads by calming them down and guiding them turn by turn. Found my skiing improved by packing bamboo. I know this sounds silly.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We routinely give rides down for guests who have gotten in over their head, majority of the time we call for a snowmachine as it's faster to respond with and doesn't remove one of our sleds from our ability to respond to a call. Thankfully last year, management actually put in a bit of a beginners slope near the base lodge, so that has cut down on our courtesy ride calls on the rest of the mountain.

Our patrol takes skiers and boarders of an intermediate level or higher, what we count as most important is a willingness to learn and improve upon their skills. We can teach you to ski and board, you have to have the desire to learn and improve. We want to get every patroller to a point where they can safely ski any portion of the mountain, it doesn't need to be fast or good looking, but it does need to be safe and capable. I don't care if they have to sideslip the entire way down, as long as they can get down, we are good.