• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Pants Question

Jimski

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What's the difference between GoreTex Pro and GoreTex Performance? Would I notice the difference on ski pants? My old, and now departed, ski pants were GoreTex XCR, which worked fine for me.

Thanks!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Pro has heavier outer face fabric and a bonded inner lining.

Would you notice the difference? Eh, probably not in the first season, but if you're the type of guy who keeps his pants twice as long as he keeps skis, then yes, as the better durability of Pro begins to tell.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Jimski - Performance is their more basic membrane, Pro is more breathable, but damaged more easily by contaminates (dirt, oil, sunscreen), so it should be washed more often. Gore requires that any company that licenses Pro use a 40 denier nylon or higher for the outer face. Gore Performance doesn’t come with the same requirements, but I’d guess that most brands meet or exceed it regardless.

XCR is one of the lines that evolved into Pro.

TS
Jimski

Jimski

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks to all.

In general, ski pants style seems to have gotten a lot more baggy since 2006, when I bought my 2004 Alpha SK pants (hereinafter referred to as "the departed"). Arcteryx told me that the Stinger bib pants was the best replacement for the departed, but I found the Stinger to be like clown pants. The Alpha SV is a good fit for me, but doesn't have boot gaiters (is that the right term? -- the snow skirts with elastic that fits over your boot).

Sponsor