• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

kingsalami

Booting up
Skier
I posted this on TGR a while back, but figured it may be helpful to fellow beanpoles...

SKI PANTS FOR TALL DUDES - THE QUEST
A public service announcement for guys over 6’ 3” tall:
I posted this for lanky guys like me who may be struggling to find decent ski pants with an inseam over 34”.
I’m 6’ 5”, 220 lbs, and wear 36 x 36 jeans, and have been looking for good-quality (uninsulated, with 10K/10K or better waterproof/breathability) ski pants in longer lengths.

A couple seasons ago, I retired my trusty XL-Long Marmot Randonnee ski bibs. They had a 36” inseam and fit a bit loose on my frame. Excellent 2-layer Gore-tex XCR pants with full side zips, a cargo pocket and an abbreviated integrated bib.
Since then, in my quest to find a worthy replacement, I’ve discovered a few pants that come close to fitting the bill for me. These brands/models are offered in either Long inseams or at least 34” inseams in their larger sizes.

- Scott Enumclaw pants (XL = approx 34.5” inseam)
These are the only insulated pants I tried. The XL offered a generous, but not baggy fit, but they were a bit too short for me. I didn’t like the insulation due to its mediocre breathability and the fact that the pants were just too warm for milder conditions. Insulated pants just don’t work for me. If they fit & you like insualted pants, they're pretty nice.

- The North Face Freedom Pants (XL-Long = 34” inseam)
These are a decent pant for the price. The fit was fairly generous, but they were just a bit too short for me. Breathability was just O.K., but I was coming from a thinner Gore-tex XCR fabric that breathed really well.

Mountain Hardwear Returnia/Returnia Cargo Pants (Large-Long = 34” inseam)
I was really impressed with the nice fit and features of these pants for the price, but they were just a bit too short for me. I liked ‘em so much that I bought a pair for my 15-year old son. You should be able to find a pair of these on sale for less than $100. Killer pants for the price.

- Mammut Stoney Pants (38-Long = 35” inseam)
Very nice pants! Mammut makes excellent gear, and these pants are a great example. A somewhat generous fit with great knee articulation. The 36” waist I initially tried on was just too constrictive through the hips and thighs, so I stepped up to a 38” waist. I would have kept these, but the microfleece lining caught on my base layer thermals and restricted movement. Bummer! I really wanted these to work for me. If you use tights as a baselayer, these will probably work just fine.

- Patagonia Snowshot Pants (Large-Long = approx 34.5” inseam)
As with the other pants, these fit on the generous side, but were just a bit too short. I really liked the overall fit through the waist and hips, the articulated knees, and the pocket size and placement. Fairly burly fabric, but pretty breatheable. I liked ‘em so much that I had a tailor add about an inch of black nylon fabric to the hem to eliminate the high-water look when I bent my knees. These are my go-to pants until I find somehing I like better.

Marmot Mantra / Palisades / Mainline / Freerider / Storm King pants are all available in 34” inseams if you opt for the XL. I think the Mainline & Storm King are the only ones offered in a Regular fit vs. Relaxed or Loose. I tried the Palisades and Spire pants in XL, but both were too short (about 34"), and ridiculously wide. The XL equates to a 38" - 40" waist.

Flylow makes the Chemical pant in Tall sizes (34” inseam), and has offered the Magnum Pro in Tall in the past.

I know Arc‘teryx makes ski pants like the Sabre with 35” inseams, but I don’t ski enough to drop $350+ on a pair of ski pants. And the Sabre got a really mediocre review on Outdoor Gear Lab recently.

If anybody else has any information they’d like to add, feel free to keep it going. Who make a no BS 36 inseam in ski pants?

TS
kingsalami

kingsalami

Booting up
Skier

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I struggle with this too. I know we are a small market, but you’d think out of the millions of models out there, one of them would come in true extended sizes.
At 6’5”, with long legs, (about 37” actual inseam), 36” inseam pants are just barely long enough for me. At 175 lbs, with skinny legs and a 33” waist, I need a M or skinny L to keep from looking like a tea clipper under full sail.

I found Cioch Direct, they make custom garments, and special sizing is only a small up charge. You also get to choose which features you want and of course the color. I also have some old soft shell pants from Beyond, but they don’t do custom anymore. It’s great to finally have some pants that actually fit.

Online I found this too: Burgess custom, no experience with them, and their website I sent very informative.

Last edited:

toddmanley

Booting up
Skier
I've had great luck with Norrona products (https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/products/lofoten/). I'm 6'9, 220lbs and bit the bullet on these pricey items 5+ years ago - they've held up really well. I have tried on some of the Helly Hansen gear this fall to see how they fit and have been pleased, but only had the chance to try on shells...not pants/bibs.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
You're doing important work, KingSalami.

I like bibs rather than pants, and like the back to have a bit of material before splitting off into suspenders, which initially rules out the Strafe Temerity pant. Bought some Spyder Dare tailored pants in XL-L last summer. They seem a bit thinner than I'd like, but really haven't had a chance to get them out yet. I think I paid $190 for them. I was a bit dismayed to see how short the side zippers were - barely mid calf. I'm used to pants that zip up the entire side. They might be better suited to hiking the headwall rather than a sticky snow day.

Why can't manufacturers put out a 36" inseam? I'm so tired of everything ending at 34" . You can't buy pants at Costco, Walmart, any big box store. Even on line, most of the really cool cargo pants top out at 34" inseam.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I currently use Burton XL Long snowboard pants. I'm 6'6", 230 lb, and nothing else I've tried on has worked out. These are even a little baggy, while some Salomon XL/L bibs I tried on last weekend were too tight and not long enough in the suspenders or pant legs. Some web stores will even tell you whether the garments are cut Slim, Regular, or Relaxed, so I'm guessing the Salomon's were Slim. The Burton's are nice because they are cargo-style (relaxed?) and the leg pockets can hold my Yaktrax's for my boots. The inner pants around the ankles are getting a little cut-up from the skis edges, which is not a problem for boarders. I've not seen Long ski pants with the cargo pockets.

TS
kingsalami

kingsalami

Booting up
Skier
I struggle with this too. I know we are a small market, but you’d think out of the millions of models out there, one of them would come in true extended sizes.
At 6’5”, with long legs, (about 37” actual inseam), 36” inseam pants are just barely long enough for me. At 175 lbs, with skinny legs and a 33” waist, I need a M or skinny L to keep from looking like a tea clipper under full sail.

Arcteryx Med Tall would probably work nicely. The Stingrays offer a more streamlined fit compared to the Sabres and Stingers.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Arcteryx Med Tall would probably work nicely. The Stingrays offer a more streamlined fit compared to the Sabres and Stingers.

I already have some custom pants from Cioch.

Arc‘teryx sizing chart is a little strange, but if I go by my measured inseam (94cm), none of their pants work for me, a LT is supposed to be for people with an inseam of only 87cm! It might be only that their chart is bad.

Then of course their is their price. I don’t mind paying for good stuff, but Cioch-Direct will make me a completely custom pair of pants for Less than that! And then I get arguably nicer material!

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you do not want insulation look for rain pants they are made to keep you dry. I have used them from time to time and have had good results. Also tall but not as tall as OP the link below is available in tall.
I agree that rain shell pants are an option, but it doesn’t help with the issue of pants not being long enough.
You can decide which features you want, but first they have to be long enough. Most “longs” have an inseam of only 34”. Rain pants are usually cut a bit shorter too, since you don’t have a ski boot to keep them off the ground.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I agree that rain shell pants are an option, but it doesn’t help with the issue of pants not being long enough.
You can decide which features you want, but first they have to be long enough. Most “longs” have an inseam of only 34”. Rain pants are usually cut a bit shorter too, since you don’t have a ski boot to keep them off the ground.
Did you follow the link and find that they are available in a Tall? All you have to do is select the tall option on the EB web site.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you follow the link and find that they are available in a Tall? All you have to do is select the tall option on the EB web site.
I figured they were available in tall, but so are many of the true ski pants, as found by Kingsalami and others. The problem remains that for most of them, 'tall' is still not very tall. IE, only 34" or 35" inseam, not 36" or 38"

I remember once ordering the 'long' version of a pair of soft-shell pants, and my friend the 'short'. Pant length differed by 4", while I am foot taller than him. His were still too long, and mine were still too short...

Uncle-A

Skier
I figured they were available in tall, but so are many of the true ski pants, as found by Kingsalami and others. The problem remains that for most of them, 'tall' is still not very tall. IE, only 34" or 35" inseam, not 36" or 38"

I remember once ordering the 'long' version of a pair of soft-shell pants, and my friend the 'short'. Pant length differed by 4", while I am foot taller than him. His were still too long, and mine were still too short...
Every manufacture is different and sometimes the proof is in the ordering and a return option if they turn out to be short. I have not been disappointed with the EB product line.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I already have some custom pants from Cioch.

Arc‘teryx sizing chart is a little strange, but if I go by my measured inseam (94cm), none of their pants work for me, a LT is supposed to be for people with an inseam of only 87cm! It might be only that their chart is bad.

Then of course their is their price. I don’t mind paying for good stuff, but Cioch-Direct will make me a completely custom pair of pants for Less than that! And then I get arguably nicer material!

I can tell you that the women's Arc'teryx MT Sentinel pant has a 35" inseam, even though the chart says it's only 32. Longest pants I've found, for sure.

Marty McSly

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have the opposite problem of short legs. Very few retailers here in Australia stock short or long fitting pants. I've resorted to buying Bugaboo pants online direct from Columbia and having them sent via a reshipper.

I know Columbia do long fittings in the Bugaboo pants. Not sure of the exact inseam length. I can say that the short fitting is usefully shorter than the regular fitting pants.

Ecaj

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Try: 2tall.com
I know they have tall clothes.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
TNF makes a tall size pant. My wife tracked some down for me and they fit great. She said it was not an easy task though.

Uncle-A

Skier
According to the Eddie Bauer web site size chart the tall size pants fit someone up to 6ft 6in.

Sponsor

Staff online