• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
But Z-rankings must be right because they have an algorithm, even if it is so secret they can't tell you what it is.

And here I was thinking that conditions had something to do with all this! Guess the algo predicts snow and overall conditions as well. That’s one hell of an algorithm. They would be wiser to use it to predict lottery numbers.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
As far as Whitewater goes it has no overnight accommodation and few amenities that today's skiing public wants. So WH20 ranking must be very heavily weighted toward snow volume and quality. WH20 and Whistler are tied for most snow in Canada but the snow at WH20 is light and dry, while at Whistler they have garbage bags with their logo and arm and neck holes already cut.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
As far as Whitewater goes it has no overnight accommodation and few amenities that today's skiing public wants. So WH20 ranking must be very heavily weighted toward snow volume and quality. WH20 and Whistler are tied for most snow in Canada but the snow at WH20 is light and dry, while at Whistler they have garbage bags with their logo and arm and neck holes already cut.
Agreed. But Grand Targhee beats WH2O on both Snow Volume and Snow Quality, but falls way behind overall (#19 to Whitewater's #9). It could be that Grand Targhee's lackluster onsite lodging actually hurts them more than a complete absence, but I still suspect a big "editor's opinion" score in there somewhere.

James

Out There
Instructor
Crested Butte's highest score is "Travel Ease," which just doesn't make sense
Yeah right. What a joke. If that was actually true things would have been very different for the Mueller's and likely wouldn't have sold it.

marjoram_sage

newly addicted to skiing
Skier
I stumbled upon Zrankings when I started skiing last season. I read up a lot of stuff there and ended up getting an Epic pass based on their family and beginner lists. I now realize that it would have been better and cheaper to go to a place that was not on their lists. Most of Zrankings' advice is geared towards people with seven figure income. The advice I have found on Pugski is far more sensible and objective than any of those magazine lists.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, despite smart and clever people putting considerable effort into quantifying data on “snow” (quality and/or quantity), “terrain”, “travel convenience”, “amenities”, “local vibe/culture;” despite all that, most of these attributes are subject to interpretation and individually variable values. The belief that this accumulation of stats, data and its summary results are “scientific” and a more accurate predictor of one’s enjoyment of their experience is IMO a fallacy.

Or they could just be throwing darts.....oooh, I hit Crested Butte, it wins for...let’s see, what’s still available....Easy Access!

Sponsor

Staff online