• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
And the web page has been updated, though it doesn't look like they have the category rankings listed anywhere. You can see the overall ranking only by clicking on each resort.

https://www.skimag.com/ski-resort-life/resorts-of-the-year
Those are last year's write ups and rankings if you click on them. The date is 2017 and word for word is last year's write-up. It may indicate something about this year's list. Number is less than 30 and includes Bridger, which hasn't been in the top 30 in the last five years.

Last edited:

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
I received my issue today. Very disappointing. No rankings...no sub-categories. Just a very bland "here are some nice resorts" with short/basic write-ups.

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm wondering if they are going to stretch this out over two issues with the reader's choice results in an upcoming issue. This last issue was such a departure from what they have done in the past. Now that I think about it, I don't remember if I completed a survey this past year.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have not seen the issue yet because it has not arrived in our public library, but the Aspen Times claims that Aspen Snwomass was named resort of the year in the west.https://www.aspentimes.com/news/ski...nowmass-inaugural-resort-of-the-year-in-west/

If this is correct, it is something new and a departure from past practioce where Aspen was never on top because the mountains were ranked individually rather than collectively.

TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
https://www.skimag.com/ski-resort-life/numbers-game

Why they changed things.

Snip: ". There’s no longer a No. 1 resort in the West or East, or any other ranked resorts, in our new “Resorts of the Year” feature. We took the information gleaned from the survey data, combined it with the collective expertise of our editors and contributing writers, and focused our resort coverage on answering that singular question: “Where should you ski this winter?” You’ll find intel and insights on more North American resorts than ever before—67 to be specific—with reviews designed to highlight the very best aspects of a vacation at each one. If a resort performed well in a survey category, such as Terrain Variety, Challenge, or Après, we’ll let you know via the sidebar, and if it scored exceedingly well, look for our new Resorts of the Year badge. We also doled out “Editor’s Choice” awards at staff discretion, so you’ll find those sprinkled throughout, as well."

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Shocking how they managed to make an uninspiring magazine even less inspiring. It feels like one long advert. Thank God for Powder and Ski Journal and Freeskier.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Long live Ski Journal!! Actual articles with interesting content and pictures. Kind of like if there was a "National Geographic : Skiing".

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, I got my copy yesterday and I’m reading through it now. I actually like this approach. Once of the things mentioned in the “backstory” on page 19 is the past problems with rankings: “Does the No. 11 resort offer a lesser experience than the No. 3 resort? No.” I like the regional sections, and observing what makes that particular resort unique or noteworthy, rather than simply a numeral ranking. For example, for Western Canada, they write about Big White, Fernie, Banff Sunshine, Lake Louise, Kicking Horse and Revelstoke, as well as Whistler. They identify which pass products (Ikon, Epic, MCP, Powder Alliance, Power Pass, Peak Pass) are able to be used as each resort. I like the inclusion of more resorts, and I’m finding the information to be more useful than they did in the past.

My .02 FWIW. Still wouldn’t necessarily buy the thing, it comes with my PSIA membership.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Someone told me they have some weird distribution issues this season. I got mine earlier than I ever had in the past.

Whitefish is simply a relatively affordable visitor experience compared to many other places and happens to have a lot of fun terrain.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just read the issue and IMHO, the magazine has gone from bad to worse, both in content and format and layout:

Some of the captions, headings and short blurbs are in a nearly unreadable colored font.

After reading for a while I noticed some of the resort write-ups had a barely readable badge on the photo apparently indicating winners in the various categores such as snow, lifts, etc. There is no listing of other top scorers in these categories, as in the past.

Aspen-Snowmass has one of these badges stating best in the west. If there is no ranking, where did this come from?

Aside from the resort content, as previously mentioned, the article discussing investments in gold, under the title of how to afford your dream ski home, is totally idiotic and inappropriate.

In summary, I think a seventh grade journalism class could have done better.

TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online