• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been thinking a while about all this kerfuffle (to borrow a Canadian term) about rankings. Since there's so much variability year-to-year, for no apparent reasons, I'm thinking a useful metric would be a running 5-year average for each category.

TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Omg. You want me to do research.

Here you are. Not going to establish a running average for each category, would require a lot of work since I don't have all that data.

Screenshot_20170927-114231.png

I'm thinking maybe those resorts with blanks should be scored at 31 for that year...

The blanks seem to add a bit of confusion to things. Yet I don't quite want to eliminate those resorts.
Screenshot_20170927-115754.png

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^. Actually, I was thinking SKI mag could do all the 5-year-running averages since they have been collecting all the data and publishing those rankings in the first place.

That said, I think what these spreadsheets show is a pretty good indicating of what SKI mag readers value in a ski vacation.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Omg. You want me to do research...

I'm thinking maybe those resorts with blanks should be scored at 31 for that year...

The blanks seem to add a bit of confusion to things. Yet I don't quite want to eliminate those resorts.

Thanks for taking the time to research, this is great! I think those blanks should all be "31" except for Canyons, which should be blank (as it was no longer in the running the past three years).

What jumps out to me is that the new PCMR's scoring worse than the old PCMR or Canyons did individually. What's driving that dynamic? I could definitely see it scoring lower on "value," but otherwise it seems like all the other categories should've gone up.

James

Out There
Instructor
EAST
1 - Smugglers Notch
2 - Sugarbush
3 - Mount Snow
4 - Tremblant
5 - Jay Peak
6 - Mad River Glen
7 - Sugarloaf
8 - Stowe
9 - Okemo
10 - Loon
11 - Bretton Woods
12 - Killington
13 - Whiteface
14 - Sunday River
15 - Stratton
16 - Holiday Valley
17 - Waterville
18 - Cannon
19 - Wildcat
20 - Wachusett

Amazing. Okemo at 9 only one behind Stowe and above Killington. How Mt Snow is at 3 is beyond me.
Clearly Aspen/Snowmass wins their poll because they treated them as separate areas. Highlands, Snowmass, and Aspen all place well. Combined they should be #1, but they're saying the parts are greater than the sum?
How come Whistler and Blackcomb aren't treated separately?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

My guess? It's because you can't ski from Snowmass, to Highlands, to Buttermilk to Aspen Mountain.

If you had to take a shuttle to get to Blackcomb from Whislter, they'd be listed separately too. Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows are that way - same lift ticket, but it takes a drive to get between them. (It will be interesting to see if they merge them if/when the gondola connection opens.)

EDIT : Just realized that this doesn't quite explain the separation of Alta and Snowbird... hmm... maybe because individual lift tickets are available for each, they don't merge them?

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Amazing. Okemo at 9 only one behind Stowe and above Killington. How Mt Snow is at 3 is beyond me.
Clearly Aspen/Snowmass wins their poll because they treated them as separate areas. Highlands, Snowmass, and Aspen all place well. Combined they should be #1, but they're saying the parts are greater than the sum?

I can see Okemo there - no reason why it should not be ahead of Kmart. If you are surprised with Okemo being ahead of Kmart then how about Loon Mountain being ahead as well?

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Have to PAY?

giphy.gif

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Between free subscriptions with paid Warren Miller movie tickets and free subscriptions with different multi-day passes (Snowbird and Mt. Hood Meadows, maybe?), I think I've had at least one or two "free one-year subscriptions" active for the past five years, at least. And yet, during that time, I think I've received about 8 different issues (though I got duplicates of at least two of them). Given their track record for delivery, there's no way I'm gonna pay.

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
Interesting development...I must admit though, this is my favorite magazine issue of the year. I expect it to land in my mailbox at some point...

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
What jumps out to me is that the new PCMR's scoring worse than the old PCMR or Canyons did individually. What's driving that dynamic? I could definitely see it scoring lower on "value," but otherwise it seems like all the other categories should've gone up.

TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I'm actually hoping that the page is just up before the results are released. I saw a Sept. 25 newsstand date somewhere, maybe the results will appear online then.

TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
It looks like this year they are having not just survey results, but also editors picks and some other Resort of the Year thing. Not sure where the additional categories will fit into the old lists.

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
While I do not have the magazine in my hands just yet, you better believe I will be checking my mailbox every day now hoping it's there.

Sponsor

Staff online