• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski lift chairs

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Who else has a ski lift chair?
Our one is off of the National Downhill Chairlift at Whakapapa Ski field New Zealand. It now looks out over the suburb of Miramar in Wellington NZ

Attachments

• 4D11C1DF-AE79-4736-AF1F-F0C87058B73A.jpeg
    4D11C1DF-AE79-4736-AF1F-F0C87058B73A.jpeg
    288.1 KB · Views: 188

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
I have one....buried under leaves in my backyard. Plan is to restore it into a porch swing but still trying to rehab the porch. Mine is from the Pats Peak double in NH, its where we taught our daughters to ski & the we purchased chair #51, my husbands high school football number

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mine hopefully will go up next early spring/summer after 7 yrs just sitting around. will be a swing which I find more tempting for use ...

Can't recall who off of Epicski had a similar chair up in Michigan, thought Tricia but .. mine will be modeled off of that one.

The chair came from Devil's Head Wi ...
chairliftnoseat.jpg

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
From the Sugar Loaf (MI) Awful Awful lift.

Attachments

• 20170930_181441.jpg
    20170930_181441.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 130

David

Skier
I probably sat in that chair at least twice. Sugar Loaf was my home away from home from '68 thru '72.
Chair #27. I'm pretty sure I rode in it a few times as well. From what people remember it was installed new in 66 or 69.

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This was from Crystal Mountain WA old chair one. I had it sand blasted and powder coated. It is a great place to sit in the summer. or for Christmas lights in winter. It swings and rotates.

P1050118.jpg

Nelliefj40

Putting on skis
Skier
We badly want one, but a bit hard to come by in central Iowa it seems. Very nice everyone.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We badly want one, but a bit hard to come by in central Iowa it seems. Very nice everyone.

keep some hope up. I got mine up out of Milwaukee 7 yrs ago, was from Devil's Head. Not sure of whose upgrading but maybe a hill under new management and an older lift.

Pajarito-bred

Getting off the lift
Skier
Loveland is selling the chairs from the soon-to-be replaced Chair 6 for $650 each, but only to season pass holders, and deadline is TODAY. About 25 years ago, I bought a chair from them for $75, a whole lot better investment return than just paying to ride them. Sure seems like a whole lot of lifts are being replaced this season, the market for old chairs should be awash in ancient chairs. Sitting on my patio in a windy and cold fall storm can be added to my pre-season training regimen.

Mine looks the same as the lift #6 chairs, which appears to be from Heron or Heron-Poma, based on info posted by Pete Landsman on his site, although I suspect it may be from one of the much older Heron lifts, # 1 or #2, not #3 which was replaced in the late 90's when I got my chair.

1654007821867.png

My chair is now getting sandblasted and painted, and I'm getting a frame built to support it-- will post some photos once I get it installed. Those chairs are heavy, 125 lbs, the chair plus two skiers and their beverages sitting on my patio needs a tall and beefy frame. I'm planning to mount it to a concrete foundation. No wonder it hurts when the liftie's chair-bump is out-of-sync and I get whacked by 125 pounds moving at 450 feet per minute. I found a couple of folks that will sell you a complete chair or swing, and OMG, I have my next project! I really hate how my best Cornhole tosses slide off the back, making a set of boards from old skis is a fantastic idea!

Now I don't feel so bad about how much my frame and painting will cost, final tally tbd. I really did not want to take the simpler route and build a stationary brackets.

vtrich

Booting up
Skier
Occasionally I ride up toward Jay Peak and a few years ago I noticed this one in the middle of nowhere. Past Belvedere but before Montgomery. At the foot of a driveway that disappeared up a hillside. Really cool setup.

Attachments

• 5DF2453B-D393-4D65-82D4-DD9F821F3E58.jpeg
    5DF2453B-D393-4D65-82D4-DD9F821F3E58.jpeg
    399.6 KB · Views: 146

Pajarito-bred

Getting off the lift
Skier
Here's some pictures of my finally-finished chairlift chair swing!

1685029383132.jpeg

I had a local fabrication shop weld and powder-coat the 3" steel tubing frame to allow the chair to swing, built in three pieces to allow for transport and assembly. Toughest part was figuring out how to use the original cable clamp while permitting swinging in both x and y directions - I suppose I could have just forced the side-to side motion to be rigid, but for some reason was reluctant to take that shortcut.

Official color is "Chairlift Blue" even though actual chairlift chairs built this century all seem to be galvanized (Zinc-plated, silver/gray) instead of painted.

Total cost for fabrication and painting: $2,175. The frame is bolted to four concrete footings 10" dia. x 2 ft deep. I used a couple of raft straps to gradually lift the chair up onto the bushing that replicates the cable attachment point.

No safety bar on this (approx.) 1961 chair, might have to disinvite my one particular ski-buddy who annoyingly swings his skis while riding the lift. Greatest hazard of riding this chair-swing is from stray golf balls off the first tee, across the street.

Construction photos:
1685029804266.jpeg

Two pillow-block bearings, plus the original cable clamp, well-greased to preserve the original old-chairlift riding experience of grease dripping onto ski pants.

Lifting up and securing the cross-bar was the toughest part... needed another, taller ladder.
1685029602160.jpeg

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have one....buried under leaves in my backyard. Plan is to restore it into a porch swing but still trying to rehab the porch. Mine is from the Pats Peak double in NH, its where we taught our daughters to ski & the we purchased chair #51, my husbands high school football number
I know this is an old post....but....if you ever decide to sell it, please reach out! Pat's is where I skied through elementary and middle school (until Crotched re-opened when I was in high school, and that was closer to home). Lots of amazing memories learning to ski and snowboard there.

I'm guessing you have a chair from the Peak Double? If you did end up refurbishing and hanging it, I would love to see pics!

David

Skier
No safety bar on this (approx.) 1961 chair, might have to disinvite my one particular ski-buddy who annoyingly swings his skis while riding the lift.
What's wrong with swinging your skis? I do it so my legs don't tighten up or get cold.

Sponsor

Staff online