• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Lesson Prices (Examples from your mountain)

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
A few posts here on PUGSKI have prodded me to be serious this upcoming season about taking some lessons. So I decided to review what lesson options are available to me at the ski areas on Mt Hood.

I have a full FUSION pass that allows everyday (and night) skiing at Mt Hood Ski Bowl and Timberline.
I have a "value pass" for Mt Hood Meadows which enables skiing day/night but not on weekends or peak holiday periods.

Lesson-Prices.JPG

Above are the lesson prices for various areas on Mt Hood. Meadows is the largest area and has the most options available.

I'm going to pull the trigger on the 3-time group lesson at Meadows because:
  1. It is very flexible for which day I might want to take a lesson, and whether I prefer the morning or the afternoon
  2. If it pans out and I like it, I can do another 3-day purchase
  3. Midweek is important to me because weekend/holiday skiing is reserved for my son and grandsons
  4. A very reasonable cost. The only lower cost option is the 8-week consecutive lesson. But that is fixed days (e.g. Wednesdays) and fixed time (afternoon only). I'd hate to sign up for that and have rain on a lot of Wednesdays...
Hopefully after 3 lessons I might find THE instructor I like and hopefully then I can purchase 3 more and choose days/times when that instructor is available. Also: Being midweek it might work out well to have very few people in the group lesson .... maybe?

What are your prices and lesson options?

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
You can't go wrong with Meadows. They have an excellent development program. See if John May is around.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I've taken the steep camp at Meadows twice. Great value, good instruction and of course the terrain.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
I purchased a 3-Class Pass at Loveland ... 3 1/2-day group lessons plus a season pass for $579. The season pass also gives me Powder Alliance benefits.

After those classes, I can take 1/2-day group lessons for $99. Or if I find a particular instructor I want to work with, 2-hour private lessons for $179 or 3-hour for $249.

Like you, I will do midweek lessons and hope that results in a smaller group.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I always have reservations about the efficacy of a two hour group lesson, or even a two hour private lesson with an instructor new to you, as far as that goes. It's just so time consuming getting things sorted out at the start of a lesson, and then going through the evaluation process and putting together an individualized lesson plan. I have no personal experience at Meadows, but options to consider:

o The four hour steeps camp, if that fits your needs. See slowrider's recommendation.

o Four hour group lessons are advertised, though the price is only stated to be "dynamic."

o If you go for a two hour group lesson, angle for a private lesson at the group price. Go mid-week, non-peak period, preferably in the afternoon. At most resorts, if you're anywhere above novice level, you'll have a great shot at getting a one-on-one lesson.

I'm a long way from being tempted to use the word "cheap" in describing anyone's private lessons, but the advertised rate at Meadows is far less than I've seen at any of the megaresorts.

Last edited:

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
I have found the best success with 2-3 hour private lessons. Loveland has had the best prices, in the $150-180 range depending on year etc. I have not had any issues settling into a lesson and getting a lot out of them. But, that is me, and maybe my expectations are low or I just have that many bad habits that are easy to correct.

This year the best deal at our "home" mountain, Keystone, is their Family Freedom Pack. $415, complementary close in paid parking, four full day group lessons, sharable within family. Great deal for the most part in Summit County, and especially when you are talking $105 for an all day kids lesson for a pre-schooler.

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How many people have found real benefit from a two hour (group) lesson?

I was a long time Breckenridge Lesson Club guy. We have (now, past was different) 10 weeks of full day lessons/guiding. I almost always teach full day lessons. I hove no context that allows me to appreciate the value of only two hours of lesson (unless is is One-on-One; rather than a group environment).

Who finds value in a lesson where you have two hours of your instructor's time (in a group, rather than private context)? (and am I reading this wrong, in that MHM is doing private lessons for these prices?)

No snark in there...real questions.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Alpine Meadows:

o Adult group lesson, advanced, full day, 4 1/2 hours (10-12 and 1:00-3:30), $159 advance purchase.

o Take two full day group lessons, get one free!!!

o Adult group lesson, advanced, half day, 2 3/4 hours, morning only, offered early season only, held at Squaw Valley, $129 advance purchase.

o Unlimited lessons all season, $1,099. If you're serious about your skiing, this can be a great product. You'll have an opportunity to form continuing relationships with some very good instructors.

o Private lessons--if you have to ask.... Much better value to get the unlimited lessons and angle for those effectively private sessions.

o Women of Winter clinic, Wednesdays and Sundays only, 2 1/2 hours, $59 advance purchase. Seems like a smokin' deal.

TS
pchewn

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I've taken the steep camp at Meadows twice. Great value, good instruction and of course the terrain.

Thanks for the feedback. That does look interesting. I'll do the group lessons first and ask the instructor if they think the Steep camp is something that I would get a lot out of.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Some good, some bad. Yes, there have been occasions on which I've found real benefit from those two hours, but you have to recognize that the benefit has been of the tuneup of existing skills variety. What most of us could really use is rebuilding skills from the snow up, which is a hard, long term project, requiring real dedication. The odds of that being promoted through a one-time two hour lesson are slim to none, and Slim just left town.

TS
pchewn

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
(and am I reading this wrong, in that MHM is doing private lessons for these prices?)

No snark in there...real questions.

All of the lesson prices in the 1st post spreadsheet are group lessons, not private.

For private lessons, Mt Hood Meadows costs are: (Way out of my desire to pay)
  1. $130 for 1 hr
  2. $220 for 2 hr
  3. $310 for 3 hr
  4. $400 for 4 hr
  5. $499 for 6 hr
So for around $250 I can choose:
A) One 2-hr private lesson.
B) Six 2-hr group lessons. (12 lesson-hours)
C) One day of cat skiing at Soldier Mountain

And I'm sure not going with choice A

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

I have once a few seasons ago.... BUT I was the only person who showed up for the group lesson.... so it was really a two hour private, so doesn't really count.

I've taken a mix of 1 and 2 hour private lessons over the last few seasons. And the last two seasons I've done a ski week (6 straight days of 2 hour group lessons) at Taos. Both have been very beneficial to me... though I don't know if a single day group lesson would be nearly as beneficial. I don't think it would.

TS
pchewn

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I just realized some background might be useful:

I'm 62 yrs old, been skiing every year since 1967 (52 years of skiing).
I took lessons my 2nd year of skiing (same instructor for all season), age 11, whole winter at Loveland Basin CO
Skied A-Basin, Loveland, then they built Copper Mountain and Mary Jane, so skied those moguls through Jr High and High school. Improved keeping up with older brothers and their friends.
Moved to Oregon in 1980 and learned to ski on some thicker snow and the value of good rain-proof ski-wear.
City League racing and race camps in my 30's and 40's
Assistant coach for kid's race team in high school, ran lots of gates and got race coaching from the head coach.
Now retired and skiing mid-week (weekends with son and grandsons), 62 days on snow last year.

Goal of lessons is to improve efficiency so my old muscles can last all day (Although I did ski 12 full days in a 2-week road trip last year.)

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
I have gotten real benefit from a short (2 or 3 hour) group lesson. The most memorable was with Stu at Snowbasin. I think he had taught for so long that he could start a group with a generalized lesson plan then tweak and customize as he went. He was teaching from the first run, if not on the lift ride up.

nunyabiz

Putting on skis
Skier
I signed up for the 3 day camp (jan2-4) at Meadows. It seems like an excellent deal.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Working pt at SS gives you the opportunity to hit some gates, clinics and the price is right.

nunyabiz

Putting on skis
Skier
I finished up my 3 day camp yesterday. It was well worth the money and I feel very satisfied with the instruction and help I received. They offer the camps again in the spring and I may do it again. I liked having 3 days in a row and the repetition it allowed. I certainly have some things to work on going forward.

Sponsor