• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski length for 11 y/o girl

TS
Danno Ski Dad

Danno Ski Dad

Booting up
Skier
Shorter skis will be easier to turn, and more forgiving of mistakes like getting backseat).
Longer skis will give more stability at speed.
When you combine those two you see that:
In general, with new skiers, it’s better to err on the side of too short than too tall.

The same goes for adult (for heavier skiers) vs kids (for lighter skiers) skis.

You did not mention her weight, which, as @Jilly mentions, is more of a factor for ski size/type than height, especially for front side (on piste) skis.
Thanks Slim. She weighs about 45 kilos. She likes going fast, but at the same time she's always dragging me down steeper and steeper slopes which require her to turn and control her speed. I want her to get onto her edges more, so I'm looking for a slim waist. I also read somewhere that if there are rockers, then this reduces the effective length of the ski.
I imagine kids' skis are more flexible, so I'd like to go for something designed for lighter skiers. This will also help her carve turns, won't it?
Many thanks

TS
Danno Ski Dad

Danno Ski Dad

Booting up
Skier
These might be options

severou

Booting up
Skier
Another consideration is that there is a big jump between kids/jr basic skis and not. The cheapest skis you see have very soft cores, more expensive skis are built like adult skis but for lighter skier.

Since you live in Europe check out Decathlon, their short turn JR skis seem pretty great. I bought a pair for my 9 year old. Super short turn radius, full sidewall, construction seems to be what Dynastar uses on their mid range skis. https://www.decathlon.ca/en/p/8759245/kids-downhill-skis-with-bindings-boost-900-black#/ Turn and BURN they come really sharp tuned too.

I would also recommend taking some lesson yourself, kids can progress REALLY fast you do not want to be left behind. Both of mine now can easily outski my wife and can ski terrain she would not even consider, it is a problem because wife feels left behind but does not want to take lessons.. and I do not want to get divorced so I do not offer to teach her myself.

Most importantly enjoy, it is such a blessing to ski with your kids.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
She really needs a tweener ski. She's just under 100lb. A lot of light women ski junior race skis. Not junior skis, junior RACE skis. I'm concerned with the ones you've listed above for the bindings. I'm not up on junior bindings as to age.

I think the S/Max HT might be too much ski. But I haven't seen her ski, so don't know.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Another question is her weight and strength. Skis don't know how tall you are, but they will or will not bend based on weight and strength. Since this is still a new sport to you, unless your daughter has ice skated or has other leg sport (soccer?) background, you don't want a stiff skis. Depending on the weight and her BSL for boots, you might be looking for women's skis too.

@Danno Ski Dad - you can simplify the measurement to cm only. 1m40, 140. These Yanks are getting better at metric.
I will at Skill to that mix.

TS
Danno Ski Dad

Danno Ski Dad

Booting up
Skier
Another consideration is that there is a big jump between kids/jr basic skis and not. The cheapest skis you see have very soft cores, more expensive skis are built like adult skis but for lighter skier.

Since you live in Europe check out Decathlon, their short turn JR skis seem pretty great. I bought a pair for my 9 year old. Super short turn radius, full sidewall, construction seems to be what Dynastar uses on their mid range skis. https://www.decathlon.ca/en/p/8759245/kids-downhill-skis-with-bindings-boost-900-black#/ Turn and BURN they come really sharp tuned too.

I would also recommend taking some lesson yourself, kids can progress REALLY fast you do not want to be left behind. Both of mine now can easily outski my wife and can ski terrain she would not even consider, it is a problem because wife feels left behind but does not want to take lessons.. and I do not want to get divorced so I do not offer to teach her myself.

Most importantly enjoy, it is such a blessing to ski with your kids.
I hadn't thought about Decathlon, but the ones you've linked to look really nice. I'll look into them. I like the camber on them.

Yes, progress rates are sometimes an issue. We've had a few private classes together which have been really good. My daughter did start to get quite a bit better than me at one point, but I've managed to close the gap. She is much better at getting down slopes quickly, but I carve better. She's more instinctive and fearless, and I watch a lot of youtube tutorials and try to work on technique.

As you say, a lovely thing to be doing together, especially at an age when she needs me less.

TS
Danno Ski Dad

Danno Ski Dad

Booting up
Skier
She really needs a tweener ski. She's just under 100lb. A lot of light women ski junior race skis. Not junior skis, junior RACE skis. I'm concerned with the ones you've listed above for the bindings. I'm not up on junior bindings as to age.

I think the S/Max HT might be too much ski. But I haven't seen her ski, so don't know.
Junior Race Ski - I like the sound of that.
I can't really describe her skiing - she is completely fearless and sort of instinctively gets skiing, and even does little jumps, but she hasn't really got the hang of carving.
I can see where you're coming from with the weight. My skis (Atomic Skicross SX7s) seem to flex just about right under my weight when I go into a turn but have enough tension in them to flick back out when I come out of it. But if I was lighter or heavier that might not be the case.

James

Out There
Instructor
These Yanks are getting better at metric.
Skis are like the only place. Weirdly, I still do poles in inches! Hate cm for poles.

As to the girl’s ski length, you’re starting to get into a zone where length can be a preference based on ski type. I.e., (Latin is metric, no??), she could be 6ft…er 183cm tall and a 155-57 could be perfect in the right ski.

That’s probably a year or so of experience away.

Here’s an example of a ski too short. I skied with a kid and his mom the other day. He is 4, is on 70cm skis. Ok, that sounds just fine, but in reality, he completely out skis the skis. He goes shockingly fast, fully parallel. It was actually really scary seeing him come down at first, I got out of the way. But he reliably shuts things down, and the skis are so short they just burrow in sideways and stop.

At his speed, in the soft spring snow, the skis don’t have enough length to actually turn him in a round arc. I would put him on 90 or even 100cm skis right away. He’d have to learn to turn them, or what happens when you turn them. If he skied the exact same way, he’d shoot off into the trees. I doubt it would take long to adjust though.

Ski design doesn’t have to concern you much at this point. Just know that longitudinal stiffness, how stiff a ski is when you flex it, is not the only stiffness that matters. There’s torsional stiffness, twisting along the width. Racing skis and advanced skis are torsionally stiff, you put them on edge on hard snow and they hold. Beginner skis are softer torsionally, so they release that edge very easily, and don’t grab and hang on.

TS
Danno Ski Dad

Danno Ski Dad

Booting up
Skier
Skis are like the only place. Weirdly, I still do poles in inches! Hate cm for poles.

As to the girl’s ski length, you’re starting to get into a zone where length can be a preference based on ski type. I.e., (Latin is metric, no??), she could be 6ft…er 183cm tall and a 155-57 could be perfect in the right ski.

That’s probably a year or so of experience away.

Here’s an example of a ski too short. I skied with a kid and his mom the other day. He is 4, is on 70cm skis. Ok, that sounds just fine, but in reality, he completely out skis the skis. He goes shockingly fast, fully parallel. It was actually really scary seeing him come down at first, I got out of the way. But he reliably shuts things down, and the skis are so short they just burrow in sideways and stop.

At his speed, in the soft spring snow, the skis don’t have enough length to actually turn him in a round arc. I would put him on 90 or even 100cm skis right away. He’d have to learn to turn them, or what happens when you turn them. If he skied the exact same way, he’d shoot off into the trees. I doubt it would take long to adjust though.

Ski design doesn’t have to concern you much at this point. Just know that longitudinal stiffness, how stiff a ski is when you flex it, is not the only stiffness that matters. There’s torsional stiffness, twisting along the width. Racing skis and advanced skis are torsionally stiff, you put them on edge on hard snow and they hold. Beginner skis are softer torsionally, so they release that edge very easily, and don’t grab and hang on.
Very interesting. I've spoken to a few people and you're the first one to talk about skis being too short! We ski on a lot of hard snow, and for a long time I had problems getting edge grip and did a lot of sideskidding on steeper slopes. I've got my technique a bit better now and don't do it as much, but it's still an issue. And I want my daughter to feel confident digging her edges in as well. So torsional stiffness might be something we should think about.
Thanks ;)

TS
Danno Ski Dad

Danno Ski Dad

Booting up
Skier
I'm quite taken with these babies and would welcome any feedback. https://elanskis.com/gb_en/rc-ace-jrs-aeljns22 They seem to offer everything my daughter might want, and she likes the design. Seem to be just a notch below the more serious racing skis, but above the more basic 'have fun' skis.

There is also a special price on these ones https://elanskis.com/gb_en/outlet/skis-outlet/slx-team-plate-aafgjl20 , with the price being about the same. Would this be the right ski for my daughter? Part of me thinks it's a ski she could grow into and progress with, but I worry that she'd be getting plates which make it stiffer and heavier, and not so manoeuvreable.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Elan makes some great junior skis. My grandson has some and he loves them. We won them right here on the Elan/Pugski photo contest. https://www.skitalk.com/threads/elan-and-pugski-com-contest.17222/post-419688

Archer-skis.jpg

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm quite taken with these babies and would welcome any feedback. https://elanskis.com/gb_en/rc-ace-jrs-aeljns22 They seem to offer everything my daughter might want, and she likes the design. Seem to be just a notch below the more serious racing skis, but above the more basic 'have fun' skis.

There is also a special price on these ones https://elanskis.com/gb_en/outlet/skis-outlet/slx-team-plate-aafgjl20 , with the price being about the same. Would this be the right ski for my daughter? Part of me thinks it's a ski she could grow into and progress with, but I worry that she'd be getting plates which make it stiffer and heavier, and not so manoeuvreable.

Of those two ski models, I would think that the rc-ace is the better suited model for someone just entering the sport. They will be easier to turn at lower speeds, they are symmetrical, so you don't have to worry about left/right skis, and they are more forgiving of mistakes.

TS
Danno Ski Dad

Danno Ski Dad

Booting up
Skier
Of those two ski models, I would think that the rc-ace is the better suited model for someone just entering the sport. They will be easier to turn at lower speeds, they are symmetrical, so you don't have to worry about left/right skis, and they are more forgiving of mistakes.
Excellent. I'm on my way to making a decision:)

TS
Danno Ski Dad

Danno Ski Dad

Booting up
Skier
Just to update. I was set on the Elans, but couldn't get the disocunted price on the 140cm version. Then I came across an offer for these Nordica Comi Pro S and started looking into them, and they seemed really similar to the Elans, and so that's what I ended up getting. They seem to combine a reasonable amount of vertical flex with torsional stiffness, so I'm hoping they'll suit my daughter well for the type of skiing we'll be doing. They seem surprisingly light too. I ended up picking up some similar Nordicas (Spitfire Pro) for myself as well on ebay.
My daughter has now grown to 1m54, and she weighs 49 kg, so she'll only get one season out of them, but they should be easy to sell on.
So we're all kitted out and counting down to the new season.

Sponsor