• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Ski Hesperus

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
I'm staying in Durango for three weeks visiting my daughter and getting in some turns at Purg. On Wendsday evening I decided to try out Hesperus for some night skiing. Turns out I completely underdressed and was chased off by cold after five or six runs,but what a hoot that place is an at $31 for an after 4 lift ticked a bargain to boot! Three days after the big weekend storm and nothing except the run coming from the midway lift exit was groomed. All runs we knee deep plus cut up powder and no one was there. The owners run the place and were super nice people.

If you are in the area, you owe it to yourself to stop by and ski here. Get a taste for what skiing used to be. Unfortunately not many places like this left out there and who knows how much longer the ones that are still spinning can continue to do so.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm staying in Durango for three weeks visiting my daughter and getting in some turns at Purg. On Wendsday evening I decided to try out Hesperus for some night skiing. Turns out I completely underdressed and was chased off by cold after five or six runs,but what a hoot that place is an at $31 for an after 4 lift ticked a bargain to boot! Three days after the big weekend storm and nothing except the run coming from the midway lift exit was groomed. All runs we knee deep plus cut up powder and no one was there. The owners run the place and were super nice people.

If you are in the area, you owe it to yourself to stop by and ski here. Get a taste for what skiing used to be. Unfortunately not many places like this left out there and who knows how much longer the ones that are still spinning can continue to do so.

I love places like this!

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
Yeah, big fan of Hesperus here. I actually heard a really juicy piece of info, from a pretty unimpeachable source, about the future operation of that ski area, but don't want to go into detail out of fear of souring the deal. Lets just say finger's crossed.

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
As far as the grooming, I don't think anybody on the current staff is trusted to run the groomers onto the upper mountain, which is pretty steep (near the limits of non-winch grooming).

Their groomers are some of the most valuable assets the ski area has on its balance sheet.

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
Yeah, big fan of Hesperus here. I actually heard a really juicy piece of info, from a pretty unimpeachable source, about the future operation of that ski area, but don't want to go into detail out of fear of souring the deal. Lets just say finger's crossed.
I've heard a certain name as a potentially interested party, but I fear the further consolidation of 4 corners region ski ownership.

Michael R.

skiNEwhere
Skier

:useless:

Next time I'm down in SW Colorado I'm gonna check out hesperus and DMR. I love the little under the radar resorts that have great terrain.

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
I've heard a certain name as a potentially interested party, but I fear the further consolidation of 4 corners region ski ownership.

I can see that concern, but I don't see another viable option than consolidation with another player. The mountain desperately needs to own the land it is on, it needs water rights for some snowmaking to get a December-April season, it needs the snowmaking infrastructure, it needs a new base lodge, and I would be surprised if it didn't need some chairlift love.

Between buying the land, buying water, a modest snowmaking system and a lodge, you are at least a couple million deep, and in the end, you have a ski area that can't go head to head with Purg for Durango guests, or Telluride for Cortez ones. Few people have the cash to spend and the knowledge to make it work, and the ones that do already own ski areas.

However, I can see the mountain paying as a complement area, with skier visits helping somebody sell more passes through the appeal of night skiing weekday afternoons. With a modest lodge with a stage, I could see Hesperus being a great Friday night hangout with local bands playing, beer getting drunk, and people having fun. I bet you could sell enough passes to make it work.

As far as reduction in competition, I don't see that Hesperus is much competition at 5000 skier visits a season (if even that number is believed). It will be no competition when it is gone, and that mountain is either going to sell soon or be gone. I have also seen the local trend is for much more in the way of affordable skiing options.

TS
SShore

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
However, I can see the mountain paying as a complement area, with skier visits helping somebody sell more passes through the appeal of night skiing weekday afternoons. With a modest lodge with a stage, I could see Hesperus being a great Friday night hangout with local bands playing, beer getting drunk, and people having fun. I bet you could sell enough passes to make it work.

I think this is the path forward for not just Hesperus but a lot of mom and pop hills. While there are a lot of wealthy folks in Durango, this is part of the state is not "wealthy". A lot of the kids that live here or go to Ft. Lewis can't afford an $85 lift ticket at Purg or a $120 one at Telluride for an occasional day of skiing. A farsighted resort owner might view a place like this as a perfect opportunity to bring a whole strata of skiers that they would ordinarily never see and provide opportunities to make some money off their regulars by offering them something they don't currently have, like what Jeff mentions above.

I know my daughter would take some of her non skiing friends there that can't or won' spend $85 to ski Purg if she could use her Purg pass there.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interesting thread and foreshadowing.

So, @Jeff N @SShore @Dryheat How have things turned out for Hesperus. I stopped by there to ski a few years back while doing a 3 day trip to Durango but the lift shut down before they loaded after we waited for a couple of hours to open. We weren't bummed about it and I thought the terrain looked really fun.

TS
SShore

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
My daughter graduated from the Fort 4 years ago and I haven't been back to the area since. I hope the new ownership has been a positive on the area, but I have no idea.

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
Well, the sale I mentioned did happen, Hesperus sold to MCP. The unimpeachable source was the former owner, who told somebody in my presence that James Coleman (owner of MCP) was going to buy the ski area once he had sorted out a land lease or purchase (the land the ski area is on is owned by a rancher that uses it for cattle in summer, rumor is that the previous owner didn’t even have a written lease. Not sure if Coleman bought the land or leased, but cows are still on it in Summer).

Has the purchase been positive or negative? Kind of neutral. Coleman promised some capital improvements, namely snowmaking and even hinted Purg’s chair 8 would be installed. Basically none of those have come to pass. The only notable capital improvement is replacement of the Riblet chair clips, and that only because the tramway board shut the ski area down until it was done.

For a few years Hesperus was getting a longer season and was staying open as long as there was snow on the ground, but that stopped. Last year they closed in Mid March and had great snow deep into April.

There is a TON of deferred maintenance. They regularly have major issues with their lights, at one visit we had last season we had to skip it because their lighting system was down, when we came back a few weeks later half the system was down, other times we have come they got it going right at dusk by frantically digging out electrical boxes and patching stuff. Even worse is the on-mountain staff isn’t empowered to price accordingly, like heavily discount tickets for folks that drove an hour to find they could only ski an hour till dusk because the lights were broke. Nope, full price.

Their groomer broke, and for weeks last season, zero grooming. Remember Purg is 40 minutes away- you can’t load a Purg groomer up on a trailer and bring it down? They still do not groom anything on the upper mountain (would be nice for most to have one groomed top to bottom run) and word is because they don’t pay the hours to get it groomed and have it be part of another job at the ski area- and usually the person grooming doesn’t have the skill to groom the steeper terrain up top.

Lots of grumbling from the ski patrol and staff that the mountain is treated as a red headed stepchild, and the above examples are definitely a part of that grumbling. The parking lot is another, it has needed more gravel for years and at this point is a bog where even AWD/4WD vehicles get regularly stuck. They “addressed” this by putting “park at your own risk” signs up.

The positives are that the ski areas future is more secure, and the reality is that all of the infrastructure issues I mentioned would almost certainly be as bad or worse if the ski area hadn’t sold. It is still an awesome throwback place to ski, but I still feel with modest money it could be so much more…

Coleman strikes me as an executive with ADHD. Says and does a lot of impulsive things, namely buying up marginal ski areas, showering them with love and attention for 1-2 seasons, then getting bored and doing the same with another. The current infatuation seems to be Nordic Valley with huge expansion promises, but he’s also done that at Sipapu (expansion plan tripling the size of the ski area, I haven’t heard a peep about in years…) and at Purgatory, he stated that the old chair 8 would be installed going up from Gelande and Styx “next year” like 5 years ago to alleviate mountain access issues. Note that is two places he stated the old chair 8 would be used. He installed the old chair 8 mid load station on chair 6 to make the terrain park lappable, regularly ran it for 1 season, and then went back to mothballing the lift. Now he is talking about the Ice Creek expansion lift using a FIXED GRIP TRIPLE (which again sounds like the old chair 8 in its third promised reuse). Basically you need to take everything Coleman says with a grain of salt.

Sponsor