• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Gloves - Which ones

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
I am starting to look for some new gloves. I currently have a 4 year old pair of Hestra "crab grip" gloves that I love. Comfortable, warm, functional, wrist strap, etc...

Before I get another pair of Hestras thought I would see what others are liking.

Go!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Is there anything you wish were different about them?

I ski with mittens, and I love my Hestra heli mitts.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Several years ago, I was new glove shopping, and, would ask friends on the mountain to let me try on their gloves after a few hours of skiing. Hestra gets a lot of great reviews, but, I always found them to be wet inside due to condensation. When I finally made the purchase, it was from the Mountain Hardware Out Dry series of gloves. They may not be the warmest, but, they remain dry inside throughout the day. On my second pair now, still love the Out Dry process for venting moisture.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cabela's Men's Pinnacle Gloves with GORE-TEX® and PrimaLoft®

Very similar to Marmot's Ultimate glove at a fraction of the price -- on sale now for $59

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Cabela's Men's Pinnacle Gloves with GORE-TEX® and PrimaLoft®

Very similar to Marmot's Ultimate glove at a fraction of the price -- on sale now for $59

Absolutely the best bargain in ski gear out there. I finally put a hole in the leather of a pair I got in 2005 while patrolling, which was shredding all my other gloves. The replacement pair is just as good.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am a mitten man,of the convertible type. My favorite gloves are generally $15-$20. Finding them local is hard but alway got my eyes out. Finding them with insalation is generally hard. Not waterproof but we don't exactly slay pow on the east coast. I find it much easier to text momma,monkey with zippers or picking your nose.
image.jpeg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The main thing I don't like about economy gloves is that sharp ski edges cut them through the areas where you grip and carry your skis. Good LEATHER around where you grab stuff is critical if you want a pair of ski gloves to last a long time.

TS
Daves not here

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks all - will either get another Hestra lobster claw or try the black diamond guide version.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
re Black Diamond Guide gloves: very good BUT that boiled-wool insulation can/does/will rip the living shite out of your cuticles if you have dry hands. I like my lobster mitts but have to wear a pair of thin inner gloves to avoid blood loss.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Guess I'm with @tch. Just bought into FTP gloves, so am in the honeymoon phase with them. They're much warmer than my "The POW" goretex, but still get a little cold. Haven't yet wicked up moisture, which was the reason for the new ones. Wish I had gotten the larger cuff. Maybe wished I had gotten mittens.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Hestra gloves are great, OutDry technology does work, so lots of great choices out there. The best performing glove is probably Arcteryx Alpha SV but it is super-pricey. I'm curious about FTP gloves as well. My vote wood be for Hestra in dry or moderately wet conditions and OutDry gloves for wet.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hestra gloves are great, OutDry technology does work, so lots of great choices out there. The best performing glove is probably Arcteryx Alpha SV but it is super-pricey. I'm curious about FTP gloves as well. My vote wood be for Hestra in dry or moderately wet conditions and OutDry gloves for wet.
I've come close on the Alpha SV more than once but I think I paid less for my first car.

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
The Alpha SV isn't even listed on the Arcteryx website. I wonder if they discontinued it. I would guess it might be hard to sell a non-heated glove for nearly as much money as a heated glove by Outdoor Research or Hestra or Sidas or Chaval.

Last edited:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Alpha SV isn't even listed on the Arcteryx website. I wonder if they disconued it. I would guess it might be hard to sell a non-heated glove for nearly as much money as a heated glove by Outdoor Research or Hestra or Sidas or Chaval.
The Lithic is the replacement. It's supposed to be warmer but liners aren't removable. (what do you expect for $250?)

There are still SV-s in stores here.

MattL

Booting up
Skier
Anybody using the Kinco 901 winter works gloves? I looked at our local hardware store and they had every version except those. I'm wondering how they fit (true to size?)

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anybody using the Kinco 901 winter works gloves? I looked at our local hardware store and they had every version except those. I'm wondering how they fit (true to size?)
I use them at work (which I do full-time). If I was getting Kincos just to ski in, I'd look for the 94HK, which is pretty much the same glove but without the leather patches on the palm and fingers. That makes the 94HK easier to break in than the 901s, and you don't have the annoying issue of the stitching on the patches wearing out and getting flapping patches.

FWIW, I only use the 901 at work - I prefer other gloves for freeskiing and backcountry:
https://forum.pugski.com/threads/glove-quivers.704/#post-13056
And to add to that^ post, I'm impressed with the Black Diamond Dirtbags for over 20 degree weather.

IME Kincos fit true to size.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
FTP: Not a lobster claw, but I bought the gloves last year and couldn't be happier...esp. at the price.
http://www.freethepowder.com/collections/gloves

I've had a pair for a year now and been really happy with them. I was a little skeptical because I always have had waterproof gloves (living in the PNW), but after using them I do believe their claim that gloves w/o a waterproof membrane breathe better. And it turns out I don't need waterproof gloves most days, even in the PNW. They've turned into my go-to glove.

My only complaint is I have the long cuff version and I don't get why they insulated the cuff. It just adds bulk and don't think it provides any functional warmth.