• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ski day pocket food

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
As we still wait for white flakes...

The topic of this thread is food on ski days for those frugal among us that avoid eating at pricy resort cafeterias, lodges, and restaurants. Yes we that brown bag, tailgate, eat out of food brought in our cars, or carried in our coat pockets. Not always convenient if one's vehicle is parked at a remote resort lot at the base or one took public transportation to the resort. Of course one can rent a locker for $10 or so that I also tend to avoid if all I need to store is some food that otherwise is a wee too bulky for my coat pockets that already has too much stuff.

So what does this person do? Well a small candy bar, energy drink, or nutrition bar if that is all, can easily find a pocket to fit in, however a plastic packaged sandwich from a market among others things like an energy drink bottle do not. So herein am admitting my misdemeanors. I hide such things out in snowy woods areas on ski slopes. Something a resort would denounce but over many years doing such, have never had a problem. Obviously might be an issue if numbers of others began doing same. As someone occasionally going into such woodsy places for skiing and taking breaks, I'm pretty much an expert at such spots at the 2 resorts I frequent. Very easy on first runs down, to hide a Ziplock bag with a little food under snow beside a tree where others are never going to track. Someone might wonder if animals might get at the food but my experience is that has never happened to this person and is probably because it is easy to cover with snow. Even if it hasn't snowed for a couple weeks, snow just below a firm crust is usually loose unless it is late season.

Another issue is what to do with packaging after eating whatever? Well one could of course just carry wrappers in a pocket the rest of a ski day though I rarely do so and instead at the 2 resorts I frequent, there are always trash containers down at lift mazes.

So what kind of food? Well as a lightweight, I more often bring a store bought sandwich, or yogurt, or nutrition bar, and or candy. These days, the only food I actually carry in my pocket all day tends to be a Momma Chia, Chia Squeeze drink as I stash the rest. This winter I've got a more expensive food habit that has developed the last couple summers that I expect to add to my pocket. I began bringing hard aged Gouda cheese on my summer backpacking trips because it keeps well for extended periods of days without refrigeration and has a wonderful rich cheese flavor. In fact such cheese was developed before our current modern era because European people could carry it with them.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Sounds like a man after my own heart. You got the cardinal rules down, pack it in, pack it out - hard cheeses (I love to add bison or venison jerky or a dry sausage), and classic pb&J's made at breakfast. Fruit is easy but best left in the 'stash'. We always stash something on short section hikes on the AT for the 1st night, usually frozen steaks, and beers :), for an epic camp dinner. And yeah all that trash comes with us the next couple of days.

I used to be into power bars and cliffs and all that but my guts don't like it, plain old food is best for me. If we're staying at the mountain or in a nearby town then it's big breakfast and not much of anything again until dinner time. Sometimes that pb&j packed at breakfast. Sometimes we splurge on the mountain. Something for everyone!

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
If i'm staying at a motel without comp breakfast I use this and English muffins: https://www.amazon.com/Chef-Buddy-8...rowave+egg+poacher&qid=1572923498&sr=8-9&th=1
Yes you need to bring the eggs and whatnot in a cooler for the commute up, however the small cooler I pack with sandwiches and bring to the resort and carry it up the lift (at Alpine) or Funi (Squaw) and stash is somewhere. Also have carried the lunch in pockets but getting tired of that. Bagels seem to work best if going that route. Cliff bars and Bananas work for a light lunch and a great incentive not to fall! I have been packing those 1/2 size water bottles, but looking for an alternative. I did try a Camelbak this past spring with good results, but I'm sold on this solution as a standard. Maybe I need to fill it up with something other than water? :rocks::cocktail::mojito:@mendieta and ideas??

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
backpack. ham sandwich in low-profile tupperware thingy. boom.

60CD07BF-3BDA-4E7A-94D2-9648F555AFEA_4_5005_c.jpeg

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The tailgate with beer and food is always only one run away. Playing pack mule seems as silly as playing camel unless you are in the backcountry.

I think that may depend on where you ski, GIS. Killington is easy to get an early parking spot and ski to car/truck. Jackson Hole, Squaw? Not so much. Even Alta is hard to plan on an early arrival due to road and traffic issues.

Back on topic: The funniest thing I've seen pocket food wise was a cooked Pork Chop. Friend on mine was on the Atkin's diet years ago and on the lift whipped out a plastic ziplock bag with a cooked pork chop.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've moved on to eating my own food in a lodge b/c as I get older I need a warm-up and a rest, but for years I packed a tuna fish sandwich and some brownies in my chest pocket. They're soft and actually respond well to pressure; the sandwich actually gets easier to eat the more it's been smooshed together.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I've moved on to eating my own food in a lodge b/c as I get older I need a warm-up and a rest, but for years I packed a tuna fish sandwich and some brownies in my chest pocket. They're soft and actually respond well to pressure; the sandwich actually gets easier to eat the more it's been smooshed together.
I always smushed my tuna sandwiches, even at home, when I was a little kid. Something satisfying about it.

I rarely pack a lunch on freeski days unless I'm not at a resort. Work days sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've started taking these along on hunts or hiking and as a mid-morning pick-me-up when I was working at a mine this past summer. They are, like other bars, very dense and I don't feel the need to eat it all at once. There's no chocolate or other stuff to melt and make a mess in your pocket. Simple and pretty tasty. They do have some other flavors but I haven't had them yet. Best of all they're easy to grab and go.
bar.jpg

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I don't ski enough for the cost of lunch to be a major factor in the overall expense. Big breakfast, then granola bar eaten on the slopes if conditions are awesome. That way I get more ski time if snow is great. If conditions are "meh," I eat *gasp* on mountain soup/chili or whatever is high calorie per $$. I'll take it easy and soak in the ambiance in the lodge.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We eat breakfast and then ski straight through until late lunch time - 2ish and call it a day. Locally, we quit earlier because the conditions in SoCal generally deteriorate by then. At most resorts, light is starting to get flat around 2:00 and, truthfully, we are tired and ready for après. The exceptions are when we are skiing with friends and meet up for lunch for the social part of the day. On those days, we just buy lunch.

Sponsor

Staff online