• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ski day pocket food

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Don't get me started. :D

Always clip the toe nail prior to cooking. We are not barbarians.
Them chicken feet are finger licking good.
Hmmm... or perhaps it should be toe sucking good? :roflmao::roflmao:

That's the way to do it, but a good chew of the comb (just above the finger in the photo) adds that "je ne sais quoi" to the whole gourmet experience!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think we need to find out whether @dbostedo has been converted.

e24665_8cffb70c60984670b8b8ad8be8f16866~mv2.jpg

They were pretty good... not good enough to keep ordering them though.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I gave up on chicken fingers when a chicken gave me the middle finger near the Great Wall (look carefully) ...
One day in more peaceful times I was at the park at Victoria Peak in Hong Kong. A vendor was selling broiled chicken feet. A young gent bought two and gave one to his ladyfriend. Quite sweet.

On a chairlift I snack on whatever energy bars my generous buddy got on his last trip to Costco. For lunch, a sandwich in a flat plastic storage box, a Kind bar, and a cup of resort coffee. The purchase of the coffee gives me the right to sit in the lunch room with my friends while they enjoy their $13 paper bowl of Vail Resorts soup.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Confess not to have viewed all suggestions, but Taos Bkes Pinon Coffee bars are made with all real food and dont get rock hard and taste really good. PB&J always works in a pinch. Doesnt matter if it squishes.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
From a country that thinks a toque is haute couture.:P

There's a couple a things needed to enjoy vegemite:

1. Spread density is really, really important:
7f18cba4df57cbc867b1f6000e14a409.gif

2. Start consuming it at a very young age - 3 y/o may be too late.

On another hobby, I have been known to travel with American amateur astronomers to a meeting of amateur astronomers in NSW, Australia. One of the highlights is the vegemite eating contest, which tends to cause imminent intestinal discomfort (a/k/a retching) from most Americans while the Australians are having no problem. The "vegemite for those who want to die" picture is kids' stuff. The winners (including moi) are eating it by the spoonful right out of the jar at the end … of course one CAN upgrade one's gourmet experience to Marmite.:roflmao:

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
On another hobby, I have been known to travel with American amateur astronomers to a meeting of amateur astronomers in NSW, Australia. One of the highlights is the vegemite eating contest, which tends to cause imminent intestinal discomfort (a/k/a retching) from most Americans while the Australians are having no problem. The "vegemite for those who want to die" picture is kids' stuff. The winners (including moi) are eating it by the spoonful right out of the jar at the end … of course one CAN upgrade one's gourmet experience to Marmite.:roflmao:

You must be at Vegemite L3.;)

Yeah, it's kind of an acquired taste. Although I suspect by this point it's taking an evolutionary slant. Vegemite is rich in B complex vitamins which is supposedly useful in coping with the effects of excess drinking. Drinking is practically compulsory Down Under so there's a selection pressure. :)

A guy I know working for a food company once had to taste test 80 batches of Promite in a row. Wasn't the same person afterwards...:eek:

Funnily enough for a Vegemite eater it took a while to get used to the Canadian Caesar. That's a drink made with any food things that happen to be laying around at the time - bacon, green beans, asparagus, cray fish legs, whatever...:bloodymary:

The worst 'comfort' food ever imho has got to be salted plums - intensely salty and intensely sweet. :crash:

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
I keep it simple -- Clif/energy/cereal bars and a half bottle of water. Goes for my kids, too, because kids go from fine to "I'm starving..." in a flash.

In the past I've done hard salami / cheese but find that it doesn't go down all that well -- especially bump runs...if we want to eat on the mountain we find a "salle hors sac" and stash a backpack with sandwiches/chip/thermos of hot chocolate...always a winner. Although in Italy half the reason to ski is the lunches at the huts...

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Buttered slices of toast slathered with Pecks anchovy fish paste. Delicious. When I was observed eating them by the very kind lady who did scheduling for the national race team she suggested that I should get a pay raise so I wouldn’t have to eat “cat food sandwiches”!:D

Sponsor

Staff online