• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ski day pocket food

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I put a cold cut sandwich in my pocket, or better yet left over beef teriyaki.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tricia may or may not have been known to carry a chicken finger in her pocket.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Bacon. Always Bacon.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
For me it's usually pretty simple, our standard MO is that we do a potluck every shift we work. always a great choice of food and the company is pretty good too.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
I've tried sandwiches in pockets, but they got kinda squished, so quit doing that. Going out to the car a couple times to find my sandwich frozen, plus having to hike to it, was a turnoff and time waster, to me. Have always kept a Clif bar in my pocket to lengthen time between stops. Nowadays, though, I prefer to go inside, whether on the hill or at base restaurants, for a bowl of chili and coffee to warm up at lunchtime. For me, chili is often the best bang for the buck and warms my innards quite a bit without making me drowsy and sluggish for the afternoon.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like Epic Bars as I prefer savory over sweet much of the time. The lamb is my favorite. I have a friend who carries a pack of prosciutto because she has lots of food sensitivies.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Oops , Got off track there a little, forgot that this is about pocket food. I usually have a pack or two of Nibs in the pocket or some hard candy or both, sometimes a sandwich in the back pack part of my patrol vest. Reality is that as one of the very few smokers out on the ski hill nicotine craves my urges to eat.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Lunch is a couple chicken dumsticks or a sandwich, either PBJ or some sort of meat in a baggie in my parka back pocket and carots in a different pocket. I eat in a lodge where I can use my collapsible cup for water.

PBJ is three slices with the jam on both sides of the middle slice.

Sandwich meat is either ham or beef standing rib roast leftovers from holiday meals.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Underappreciated ski snacks, provided free of charge by the resort: sugar and salt packets. Yep.
Don't forget the catsup, mayo, and mustard packets. Mmmmmm...

And you could probably put the mayo on your bases if things get a little slow!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I usually go into the lodge and get a cheap cup of soup and a roll. But the hard cheese and salami idea sounds pretty good for a pocket snack. The costs add up when you eat a cup of soup several times per week in the lodge.

@4ster brings a tuna salad wrap if I recall. Less prone to getting smooshed. Not sure if I'll go that route or not. Maybe a PB&J wrap or PB&H wrap. Roll it up like a dooby and it won't get squashed and hopefully won't get all over the bag. :roflmao:

TS
SSSdave

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Lunch is ...PBJ is three slices with the jam on both sides of the middle slice...

I knew there was someone else on the planet that makes 3 decker PBJ's. And yeah sometimes those go into my pocket too. ogsmile.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
You said the magic words!

Another Men At Work fan.:)

In case you didn't know, this is the same Colin Hayes...

And back to topic. One of my buddies carries a hard boiled egg on hill and uses it to supplement whatever food he buys.

Seemed a reasonable idea to me. About the 2nd day of this I had a fall - the hard boiled egg wasn't.:(

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier

And I thought I was the baseline cheapo. ogsmile
LOL. I am totally serious too. I will carry my own food. But I don't hesitate to supplement. If they have lemon wedges out, you can make yourself a passable lemonade too!

One of my favorite hacks if I am cold is that 4 sugar packets plus one salt packet (parachute and rinse down with water) will warm you right up. Increases your blood volume which makes blood flow more readily to extremities.

Also, sort of related to snacks, is I have several soft sided water bottles. They pack in pockets and back packs much better than round bottles do.

B002LSS68C_platypus_softbottle_1_lg.jpg

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Bagels hold some structure in a pocket. Cup a soup, jerky even a micro popcorn pouch will also work well.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One of my fondest memories of food on the mountain took place at Snowbird, way back in my younger/poorer days... when a week of skiing in Utah involved a 12 hour drive from Phoenix in my Datsun pickup, staying in SLC at the Motel 6, and daily drives up the canyons to the various ski areas... tailgate lunch...etc.

That day, I rode the tram with a sandwich and beer in my jacket and found a spot on the top to enjoy my lunch and take in the outstanding view. This was back in the early 80's way before the Hidden Peak restaurant structure was built, the only building was a small wooden patrol shack perched on the edge of the Gad valley side.

Back then, after the tram unloaded, everyone would step in and head off down the mountain, after a few minutes the peak would be basically deserted and quiet for 10 minutes or so until the next tram arrived.

As I cracked open the beer and unwrapped my sandwich, enjoying the silence and the view, I faintly heard music. Intrigued, I got up and sought out the source. Around the back side of the patrol shack was a deck overlooking the canyon and on the deck was a fellow playing a concertina style accordian (squeezebox), rocking out some Bavarian style tunes.

I sat back, grinned, closed my eyes and thought to myself "I must be in Switzerland!"

Sponsor

Staff online