• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Country Coffee

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I just realized my two favorite coffee places are in ski country. World Cup Cafe in Taos and Ink in Aspen.

Are they really that good, or is it the warm glow of skiing? What are your favorites, and are they near skiing?

Last edited by a moderator:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Roaster: Vermont Artisan Coffee in Waterbury http://www.vtartisan.com/

I like these guys because they a) keep varietal flavors the way they're supposed to be so Bulo Batak will taste plummy, the Yergacheffe will taste flowery, the Brazilian Santos will be the smoothest caramel b) their prices are extremely reasonable for a small-batch roaster c) there is something for everyone, for example if someone you know considers DD coffee 'strong' (ha!) the Brazilian Santos in a city roast will be light enough for them and full, rich both.

Coffee Shop/roaster: Speeder and Earls in Burlington. http://www.speederandearls.com/

These guys do dark roasts really, really well. The house blend ( Speeder's blend ) is an in-your-face morning jolt that can wake up the taste buds of two pack a day smokers (we have tested this). Without being the burnt off-tasting acidic mess that something like Starbucks Pike Place is.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Hey now. This is a tough crowd. Yes th new baby will be delivered on the 8th. It will be ready to pull multiple shots. And, yes i can make @Drahtguy Kevin and @FTM cafe Americanos In big gulp cups.

I prefer to serve in cups; serving in bed is messy.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hey now. This is a tough crowd. Yes th new baby will be delivered on the 8th. It will be ready to pull multiple shots. And, yes i can make @Drahtguy Kevin and @FTM cafe Americanos In big gulp cups.

I prefer to serve in cups; serving in bed is messy.
Thats what Housekeeping is for.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I prefer the coffee in My House as well.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I haven't been impressed with the coffee in any of the Colorado Summit County spots I've tried yet.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was in Starbucks the other morning using the wi-fi (not a fan of their coffee) and overheard a guy ordering hot chocolate. He told the girl behind the counter to leave some room in the cup. She asked "for milk?" He chuckled and said "Sure...for "milk" ".

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
I haven't been impressed with the coffee in any of the Colorado Summit County spots I've tried yet.

I used to get my beans from a little place in Silverthorne called Red Buffalo I think. I can't speak to the quality of the brewed coffee, because I always made my own. My home town has a fantastic artisan coffee shop with small batch roasted, flavor profiled hand brews and they have really spoiled me for life. I can't go back to regular drip so now I hand grind my own beans every morning and use an Aeropress. The only other coffee place I can think of is Big Shooter on the way to Steamboat but I don't think the coffee is particularly outstanding (although its decent for sure!) it's just convenient and has become a bit of a tradition to stop there.

Reactions: Ron

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I used to get my beans from a little place in Silverthorne called Red Buffalo I think.

Thanks! If I'm in the area I'll check it out. The ones I have gone to here are Rocky Mountain Coffee Roasters in Frisco, and Coffee Depot and Clint's in Breckenridge. None of them are especially great; I like Clint's because it has gluten free treats.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
My long-time time go to go coffee (espresso) is counter culture coffee. Hologram and big trouble are my favorites. For regular coffee try some of their single origins.

Www.counterculturecoffee.com.

New machine shipped today. I'm shipping my good grinder to steamboat tomorrow.

TS
mdf

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I get to make sure World Cup is as good as I remember. I'm going to Taos at the end of February.

TS
mdf

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I get to make sure World Cup is as good as I remember. I'm going to Taos at the end of February.

If the coffee is disappointing, I guess I can always ski. ;)

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I have had Delonghi super automatic espresso machines for years. The latest one has an automatic capuccino function, which my wife loves.

Delonghi ESAM5500B Perfecta Digital Super Automatic Espresso Machine with Cappuccino Function
41xxqEI7GwL.jpg

It doesn't exactly exude old world charm, but it makes a killer cup of whatever you want! :D
Plus, it's now a discontinued model available on Amazon for half price.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't think I have had a truly good cup of coffee in my life. Always crap I make, Kurig stuff and gas station brew. I had espressos last January at Irwin, but I was a virgin and wasn't sure if it was good or great. I did enjoy them except for the tiny cups, those were bullshit.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Next time you are in my neighborhood (North of CR 74 & East of 257), you stop by buddy, and I will hook you up with a good coffee.

Sponsor