• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Country Coffee

TS
mdf

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think I saw something similar on an Italian site when I was researching the question of whether American espresso servings are grossly oversized.

Stumptown has a whole page of how to use the aeropress.

I may have to get one. I have not been happy with my coffee since I gave up half and half.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
It makes about the amount of an espresso cup, but for black coffee you just dilute with hot water to your desired strength.

AKA "Americano"

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
Sure, but when I'm making coffee for myself I don't call it fancy names. ;)

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Sure, but when I'm making coffee for myself I don't call it fancy names. ;)

When I'm making coffee for myself I don't even use a fancy coffee maker =P

Okay, that's a lie, it's fancy - but it's still just drip.

Redleg

Groomer Gooner
Skier
Thanksgiving this year we were invited to dinner by one of my wife's colleagues. In their kitchen they had a very nice Italian built-in coffee/espresso maker. When my wife expressed her desire to eventually have the same in our home, the couple told us they never used it, didn't know how, and pointed to the Keurig on the counter. :eek:

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Here's the new setup. Keep in mind this is a hobby and an obsession of mine....

LaSpeziale Dream and a Mazzer Mini Grinder, Scale and Espro Tamper... goes on at 4am each day...

LeSpaziele.jpg

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I had a french press, even when I did a course grind, I still had sediment. The aeropress is like a french press but it also adds in a filter. Cleaning is as simple as dissassembling and rinsing. You can get reusable filters, but I haven't tried them. There are a few different methods of brewing (I think there are some easy to follow youtubes out there), I use the upside down method. Basically assemble the unit sans screw on top/filter, add grinds, water and wet the filter onto the cap, then let sit for about 3-4 minutes, then screw the cap on and flip, press out. It makes about the amount of an espresso cup, but for black coffee you just dilute with hot water to your desired strength. I also like that its plastic, because the number of glass french presses I've broken is too damned high.

Cons are that it only brews one cup at a time. I believe there might be 2-cup models out there, but I'm not sure.
If you are into good coffee and don't have the money/time/interest in going down the espresso rabbit hole, I'll recommend the Espro "french" press. It is stainless steel and has a double filter, so you get all the richness of french press, but none of the mud. It turns out a clean, clear-but-rich cup every time (assuming you get the beans and grind right).
Expensive...but worth it for sure. You can buy them in small, med, and large sizes, so you can turn out 2-4-6 cups as desired.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
:eek: I spent my formative years drinking nothing but turkish.

How in the blazes am I going to apply all those mad fortunetelling skillz I learned from great-gram without mud?
;)

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Years ago in Frisco CO all you could find was "2 Bean Coffee" So pathetically weak I think dishwater
would be better ! :nono: Hope it changed.

TS
mdf

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Just wanted to confirm that World Cup in Taos really is that good. I only got there a couple times last trip to Taos -- a downside to staying outside of town. (And by the way, in the several years since I gave up half and half, as mentioned upthread, I've come to prefer black coffee.)
20200427_111124_resized.jpg

Last edited:

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
https://www.bigironcoffee.com.

Our's is Big Iron Coffee. $4.00 shipping. Bags are $9-$10 for 8oz. I can only drink Decaf but he roasts a surprisingly complex, smooth and flavorful one.

View attachment 100971
On non- skiing days we walk from the Rabbit Ears to Big Iron on 6th for a cup of their dark roast - the best coffee we've found in the 'Boat. The Steamboat Coffee Roasters kiosk on 5th was (was) good, too.

Reactions: Ron

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
How did I miss this thread originally? I am trying @kimmyt's aeropress trick immediately.

Was fascinated to learn that @Ron only drinks decaf.

Those of you who know me know that I require late afternoon fully caffeinated coffee or I just kind of become immobile. So this is a thread that's very close to my heart! Fortunately after a day of skiing I'm not that fussy. (For me. I'm still not letting Draghtguy make my cup.)

Sponsor

Staff online