• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I will be spending a few days a week at my local hill teaching never-evers. My ski school runs clinics every AM which I plan to take advantage of. In fact, I’ll probably do some on days I’m not working there, because it’s close by. I have some twin tips that are fun with kids, but currently I’m lacking a narrow-ish carving ski that rewards good technique yet thats a bit forgiving. I don’t want to spend much $$....chances are these skis will be sitting in the snow at times, unattended, or might be used in lessons. (The Laser AX would be grand, but at this point I’m not willing to spend the money, and I want a low profile ski that won’t attract much attention). Ha.

I also need GW bindings that are system bindings.
I am 5’10”, almost 170 lb, advanced skier. My ski hill is in PA.

My best deals are on the Dynastar Speedzone 12 in a 166 and the Dynastar 4x4 Pro 82 In a 171. So for simplicity sake, let’s keep it to those two, or the women’s versions of those....the Intense 12 and Intense 4x4 Pro.

Which would be best for mostly hardpack, but some soft days and sometimes new snow? Doing drills? I will be in mostly groomers with a bump run or two.

Last edited:

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
In my experience shorter is better. I'm 5'10" @ 200# and teach on 151-165 cm. You can find them for around $100. Demo binding.

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In my experience shorter is better. I'm 5'10" @ 200# and teach on 151-165 cm. You can find them for around $100. Demo binding.

Did you read my whole post? I asked about 2 ski choices.
I need GW compatible bindings, so likely a $100 demo ski might not fit that bill. And there is nowhere around here to get $100 demo skis. I can, however, get a screaming good deal on the Dynastars.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Right. I ski 2 Dynastar models. Some of my favorite skis. Speed Zone would be my choice.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I love my Dynastar ommeglas SL skis which I believe are the predecessor to the speedzone, think the 16 is the new version of mine when I talked to the Dynastar rep. Love my skis for clinics and teaching. I think this series is awesome so if you can get a great deal I'd say it's a win win.

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
Since telling you to buy my 168 Laser AXs for $700 is out, I'd go with whichever of those is narrower and if that's a tie - go with the one that's less forgiving (aka more precise).

EDIT - Get the Curvs

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know a few ladies (instructors as well) who have the Intense 12, and love them. Dynastars have always been good value.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'd buy a used pair of something.
Teaching the Never ever's they tend to ski ALL Over the tops of your skis.

I use my old BP's they are light weight so I can 'run' around on them, they are easy to ski backwards, and the top sheets are getting more wrecked from the kids who 'can't stop' yet...

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Since telling you to buy my 168 Laser AXs for $700 is out, I'd go with whichever of those is narrower and if that's a tie - go with the one that's less forgiving (aka more precise).

EDIT - Get the Curvs

I bought the Fischer My Curv RC4. After entering a coupon code. I paid $301 shipped for a new pair. Plus they threw in a ski bag? Can’t beat that.

I wonder how these compare to the old Progressors.

The Laser AX is forever in my mind....weirdly they might be a replacement down the line for my Z90’s since I’d ski them in similar conditions.

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd buy a used pair of something.
Teaching the Never ever's they tend to ski ALL Over the tops of your skis.

I use my old BP's they are light weight so I can 'run' around on them, they are easy to ski backwards, and the top sheets are getting more wrecked from the kids who 'can't stop' yet...

I‘ve got twin tips for this.i know they get skied all over, lol.
I wanted something more carving specific for clinics.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
My experience is, that it really does nt matter. I teach never evers on what ever I want to be freeskiing that day from my SL ski to 110mm powder skis.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I normally do that too. I just teach on whatever I'm on that day. I try to pick something narrow and turney when clinicing but for teaching I just teach on whatever. I am thinking about picking up a pair of very short skis in the 140s for teaching just for the carpet. A few of our instructors are on Fischer Curvs, I suspect you'll like them :)

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I normally do that too. I just teach on whatever I'm on that day. I try to pick something narrow and turney when clinicing but for teaching I just teach on whatever. I am thinking about picking up a pair of very short skis in the 140s for teaching just for the carpet. A few of our instructors are on Fischer Curvs, I suspect you'll like them :)
I leave a pair of 140 at the instructors shed. My regular ski, I cart it back and forth from home.

When I teach never-evers, I use the shorty. For higher level kids (teenagers who started to parallel), I put on my twin tip. I feel more comfortable doing jumps and such on my “regular” ski (the twin tip). But I don’t want to totally trash those going up and down the carpet.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Hart F17's you are selling actually ve some pretty good shape...other than the binding not being GW, they could have worked in a pinch or your could just swap toe lugs for those mornings. But, the Fischers will be fun, fast but fun.

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Hart F17's you are selling actually ve some pretty good shape...other than the binding not being GW, they could have worked in a pinch or your could just swap toe lugs for those mornings. But, the Fischers will be fun, fast but fun.

Yeah, I thought of this, Phil. But I don’t feel like swapping toe lugs. I need to simplify. I’m still dreaming that somebody here can do justice to the Harts. They are TOO quick in bumps for me. Fun tree ski, though!

Fischer’s should be great. Yeah, faster than the Intense 10, but such a nice ski that I’d like to own aside from ski clinics. I have progressed enough that I can ski a “fast” ski fairly slowly. I can always partake of the Nastar races at my local bump after my shift is over. If I end up teaching on them, that’s OK. I just....for $301 for a ski of that quality, shipped second day air....hard to beat.

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My experience is, that it really does nt matter. I teach never evers on what ever I want to be freeskiing that day from my SL ski to 110mm powder skis.

Yeah, I see your point and I’m not the type that needs a specific “teaching“ ski. I just happen to own twintips that’ll work well. But my school runs very good clinics, and to get the most out of them, a carving ski with a narrow waist is best.....and I was lacking that.

Sponsor

Staff online