• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A1ex

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi all. To keep it short, i'm 6'2 and 210lbs, upper advanced, can really ski anything, sometimes hitting hard, sometimes chilling, i generally like short to medium turns. I like my skis fairly stable when going fast but playful and light feeling with some pop and energy. Conditions-wise skiing everything, mostly chopped up and soft snow, a bit of really hard snow and courduroy, a bit of pow and trees.

Right now i have a pair of 160 fischer superrace sc rc4 slalom skis. They're awesome on hardpack and ice but after noon when the snow gets destroyed they are hard to enjoy to their potential and they are wobbly when going straight at big speeds.

I can get a pair of brand new 18/19 head kore 105 w bindings for just 500$, but they're 180cm, so i don't know if they wouldn't be compromising in stability. I saw many reviews saying that they're quite stiff considering their construction and that they perform really well in conditions similar to mine

Also i can get a pair of demo 17/18 salomon qst 99s w bindings in both 181 and 188cm for 400$. Only concern is that i've heard that they wouldn't be as good for someone this heavy. Don't know how true is that and if they would be more stable at 188cm.

My third choice would be a pair of new dynastar legend x96 in 186 for around 540$. Heard good stuff about them, but the price of kores is giving me a hard time.

Considering just these 2 rn because of the deals.

Thanks in advance for all reccomendations and help!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hi all. To keep it short, i'm 6'2 and 210lbs, upper advanced, can really ski anything, sometimes hitting hard, sometimes chilling, i generally like short to medium turns. I like my skis fairly stable when going fast but playful and light feeling with some pop and energy. Conditions-wise skiing everything, mostly chopped up and soft snow, a bit of really hard snow and courduroy, a bit of pow and trees.

Right now i have a pair of 160 fischer superrace sc rc4 slalom skis. They're awesome on hardpack and ice but after noon when the snow gets destroyed they are hard to enjoy to their potential and they are wobbly when going straight at big speeds.

I can get a pair of brand new 18/19 head kore 105 w bindings for just 500$, but they're 180cm, so i don't know if they wouldn't be compromising in stability. I saw many reviews saying that they're quite stiff considering their construction and that they perform really well in conditions similar to mine

Also i can get a pair of demo 17/18 salomon qst 99s w bindings in both 181 and 188cm for 400$. Only concern is that i've heard that they wouldn't be as good for someone this heavy. Don't know how true is that and if they would be more stable at 188cm.

My third choice would be a pair of new dynastar legend x96 in 186 for around 540$. Heard good stuff about them, but the price of kores is giving me a hard time.

I demoed the Kore 105's in 189 and they felt a bid odd, stiff but light so not really damp but somewhat stable. The 180's should feel similar.

Depends on where you ski and what are you looking for in this pair of skis.

I would pass on the QST99's.

The x96 in 186cm seem like a good choice for a OSQ but the Kore 105 would serve much better as a soft snow / powder ski.

TS
A1ex

A1ex

Skier
Thank you for the opinion. I'm from central europe, mostly skiing my local mountains. The snow gets chopped up really fast so most of the time the skiing is jumping from one pile of snow to another. I'd love to have a ski which would be fun to ride anywhere, mainly looking for a playful ski which can carve well but likes to get turned and pivoted in variable conditions. I like to go off piste into soft snow and between the trees as much as i can (basically everytime when it is possible). I'm not there to chase fastest times and stuff, i want to have fun anywhere! I hope i can make more and more trips to alps as well, so looking for a true OSQ ski.

And on the stability note, i guess any ski would be more stable in bigger faster turns than my 160 slaloms. My fear is that the 180cm kore wouldn't be burly enough at my weight.

Last edited:

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I think you need longer. I'm 5'4 and 155lb and OLD! I ski a 161 tuned down slalom. Not familiar with anything other than the Solly and I wouldn't buy it based on my experience with the Myriad 85!!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You say you're looking for a One Ski Quiver. There are very few places where a 105 is an ideal OSQ, pre-season fantasies about powder days notwithstanding. If you live in Utah, sure. But you don't. Also you're coming off a short slalom ski, so anything is going to seem like a pow ski to you.

Lot of good options in the 90 - 95mm range. @Ron is selling some Stormrider 95s, I think, although shipping to Europe might be a problem.

TS
A1ex

A1ex

Skier
You say you're looking for a One Ski Quiver. There are very few places where a 105 is an ideal OSQ, pre-season fantasies about powder days notwithstanding. If you live in Utah, sure. But you don't. Also you're coming off a short slalom ski, so anything is going to seem like a pow ski to you.

Lot of good options in the 90 - 95mm range. @Ron is selling some Stormrider 95s, I think, although shipping to Europe might be a problem.

Thanks for the opinion. I'm thinking about the kore 105 solely because i can get them for a very good price and i heard that they're really good for this kind of skiing. I want a more relaxed wider ski mainly for the fact that i mostly ride in soft and chopped up snow and i go off piste everytime i can, but i still ski a good amount of pistes. I don't consider myself as a powder skier, because i'm not skiing exclusively off piste, you just don't have the opportunity to do it everywhere...

A ski like the enforcer 93 or kore 93 (i could've had a great deal on those, sadly i was too slow) would be awesome but there are not many nordica dealers in my country and if they do have them, they're too pricey :(

TS
A1ex

A1ex

Skier
I think you need longer. I'm 5'4 and 155lb and OLD! I ski a 161 tuned down slalom. Not familiar with anything other than the Solly and I wouldn't buy it based on my experience with the Myriad 85!!
Thanks for the opinion :)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm thinking about the kore 105 solely because i can get them for a very good price

Start with what you need. Nothing is a good choice if it's not what you need, no matter how "good a deal" it is. If cheese is 90% off this week, it's still a losing proposition if you don't need cheese.

TS
A1ex

A1ex

Skier
Start with what you need. Nothing is a good choice if it's not what you need, no matter how "good a deal" it is. If cheese is 90% off this week, it's still a losing proposition if you don't need cheese.
Thats why i'm asking. If somebody can relate to my requirements and has this pair, i want their advice

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier

I can only comment from experience on the Salomon QST 99’s.

I don’t think at 210lbs you are way out of the frame for these skis, particularly now the newer model has been stiffened up a touch. However, they are more of a middle of the road, friendly approachable ski than a stout one, and at 210lbs I’d personally be looking into double metal laminate wood core skis.

That Kore isn’t that either and like I say I can’t comment on it. I note Head no longer does wider Monster model skis and Heads are normally stout and stable, so who knows?

TS
A1ex

A1ex

Skier
Sweet pair but that would be way out of my budget shipped to europe.

I can only comment from experience on the Salomon QST 99’s.

I don’t think at 210lbs you are way out of the frame for these skis, particularly now the newer model has been stiffened up a touch. However, they are more of a middle of the road, friendly approachable ski than a stout one, and at 210lbs I’d personally be looking into double metal laminate wood core skis.

That Kore isn’t that either and like I say I can’t comment on it. I note Head no longer does wider Monster model skis and Heads are normally stout and stable, so who knows?

The qst 99 i would buy would be the 2018 model, so not the super charged one. I really have split opinions about them. Some say that they're too soft and others that they are great all round and they would handle my weight.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm having a hard time getting my head around someone your size skiing off-piste on 160cm SL race skis. Anything wider and longer will be a step up. I would look for an all-mountain ski with a width between 85 and 95 mm. Lots of good choices out there.

I don't think you would be happy with the Kore 105. Last December I demoed three Head skis back to back on a typical firm day at Killington - Rally, Monster 88 and Kore 93. Loved the first two but not impressed with the Kore. I'm sure it was the conditions. The Kore may be a delight in soft snow, but it would not be my choice as my only ski in the east. If limited to one ski, I would pick the Monster.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
At 210 lbs, that Fischer you own is too short for you; sell it at a ski swap.
Whichever ski you end up with, you should go for the longest length, unless you avoid higher speeds.
At 150 lbs I found the Volkl 100-eight in a 181 cm length great in the snow (not enough grip on the groomed runs for my taste, but for soft snow it was the ticket). For you though, I would suggest the 189 length.
If you ski hard snow get Fischer the Curve, as well. That would be preferable to the one ski quiver in the 80 to 100 cm range.

TS
A1ex

A1ex

Skier
I'm having a hard time getting my head around someone your size skiing off-piste on 160cm SL race skis. Anything wider and longer will be a step up. I would look for an all-mountain ski with a width between 85 and 95 mm. Lots of good choices out there.

I don't think you would be happy with the Kore 105. Last December I demoed three Head skis back to back on a typical firm day at Killington - Rally, Monster 88 and Kore 93. Loved the first two but not impressed with the Kore. I'm sure it was the conditions. The Kore may be a delight in soft snow, but it would not be my choice as my only ski in the east. If limited to one ski, I would pick the Monster.

Thank you for the info. Don't even try thinking about me riding them through soft snow, it wasn't enjoyable. But the fact that i'm keeping them is making me lean towards a more aggresive and wide ski as my all mountain choice. I'm not from the east coast, we usually have destroyed pistes and soft snow piles in europe, i have described my style in former posts. My ideal choice would be the enforcer 93 or rustler 9 but i can't find a good deal on either of them, that's why i came here to ask.

TS
A1ex

A1ex

Skier
At 210 lbs, that Fischer you own is too short for you; sell it at a ski swap.
Whichever ski you end up with, you should go for the longest length, unless you avoid higher speeds.
At 150 lbs I found the Volkl 100-eight in a 181 cm length great in the snow (not enough grip on the groomed runs for my taste, but for soft snow it was the ticket). For you though, I would suggest the 189 length.
If you ski hard snow get Fischer the Curve, as well. That would be preferable to the one ski quiver in the 80 to 100 cm range.

I can't afford 2 skis right now because i'm keeping the fischers for my family members anyway. The curv is a great ski but it would be painful to ski them in soft snow and i feel like it wouldn't be different enough from my SC's. Thank you for the lenght advice anyway. What do you consider higher speeds btw?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for the opinion. I'm thinking about the kore 105 solely because i can get them for a very good price and i heard that they're really good for this kind of skiing. I want a more relaxed wider ski mainly for the fact that i mostly ride in soft and chopped up snow and i go off piste everytime i can, but i still ski a good amount of pistes. I don't consider myself as a powder skier, because i'm not skiing exclusively off piste, you just don't have the opportunity to do it everywhere...

A ski like the enforcer 93 or kore 93 (i could've had a great deal on those, sadly i was too slow) would be awesome but there are not many nordica dealers in my country and if they do have them, they're too pricey :(
A good deal is only a good deal if its a good ski for the conditions you are skiing.
I would only consider the Kore 105 if it were part of a quiver of 2.
Since you can't afford two pair of skis right now, you're better choice is to go with something in the 90's as suggested above.
See if you can find a Fischer Pro MTN 86 Ti or 95 Ti.
You'll find that it will serve you better than a 105.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
As everyone has mentioned, ANYTHING will be more stable and better in crud than your current undersized skis. You mentioned no deals on the Rustler 9 or Enforcer 93 but what about last year’s Brahma or a Navigator 90? I’d rather a Head Monster 88 than a Kore 93 myself and might be deals of those where you are.

Your current skis are tight turning, 67mm wide, pure camber, stiff skis in a short length, so a nightmare in crud/soft snow.
As long as you get solid flexing skis in the 180-187cm range with a higher turning radius than the very short 13m of your current skis with a bit of early rise/rocker in the tips, you will motor through crud or soft snow with ease in comparison. Would feel more stable at 60mph at your size on a 187cm Brahma/184cm Monster 88 than at 40mph on your current skis. Even bigger different if it’s choppy!

If you can’t get Brahma, Monsters or Navigators on deals, what about advanced all mountain skis in the 180-188 size from Black Crows, Armada or Faction? Think they are more common where you are and might be deals on them.

TS
A1ex

A1ex

Skier
As everyone has mentioned, ANYTHING will be more stable and better in crud than your current undersized skis. You mentioned no deals on the Rustler 9 or Enforcer 93 but what about last year’s Brahma or a Navigator 90? I’d rather a Head Monster 88 than a Kore 93 myself and might be deals of those where you are.

Your current skis are tight turning, 67mm wide, pure camber, stiff skis in a short length, so a nightmare in crud/soft snow.
As long as you get solid flexing skis in the 180-187cm range with a higher turning radius than the very short 13m of your current skis with a bit of early rise/rocker in the tips, you will motor through crud or soft snow with ease in comparison. Would feel more stable at 60mph at your size on a 187cm Brahma/184cm Monster 88 than at 40mph on your current skis. Even bigger different if it’s choppy!

If you can’t get Brahma, Monsters or Navigators on deals, what about advanced all mountain skis in the 180-188 size from Black Crows, Armada or Faction? Think they are more common where you are and might be deals on them.

Thank you for the info!
I did a bit of research and I found a pair of Navigator 90s in 179cm lenght for an awesome price, dunno about the lenght. Also i can still get the legend x96s at 186cm, they're supposed to be really good for medium turns and chopped up conditions with very good float.
And just to top it off, i also can get a nice discount on a pair of new pinnacle 95s at 177cm (i hear that they're pretty long, like 2-3cm longer than 177). I don't really know anything about black crows, faction or armada lineups. Any suggestions?

Any thoughts on these? It seems impossible to find a good pair in my size

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thank you for the info!
I did a bit of research and I found a pair of Navigator 90s in 179cm lenght for an awesome price, dunno about the lenght. Also i can still get the legend x96s at 186cm, they're supposed to be really good for medium turns and chopped up conditions with very good float.
And just to top it off, i also can get a nice discount on a pair of new pinnacle 95s at 177cm (i hear that they're pretty long, like 2-3cm longer than 177). I don't really know anything about black crows, faction or armada lineups. Any suggestions?

Any thoughts on these? It seems impossible to find a good pair in my size
The Pinnacle 95...skis really short though, for your size you NEED at least the 184. That Nav 90 is a money ski, if they have that in the 186, just get it.

Sponsor

Staff online