• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski cargo box

Kent

Getting on the lift
Skier
Any recommendations regarding a cargo box for skis? Good brands? Brands to avoid? This would be for a 2017 Subaru Forester.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I use the Yakima Sky box, summer and winter on a 4Runner. It's been 5 seasons. No complaints.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We are using a Skybox Pro that we transfer between the Golf Alltrack and the Yuxon XL. It holds 10-15 pairs of skis easily.

IMG_0288.JPG

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ You need a set of tennis ball bumpers on the ends of those rack bars!

ChrisFromOC

Putting on skis
Skier
Any recommendations regarding a cargo box for skis? Good brands? Brands to avoid? This would be for a 2017 Subaru Forester.

We also use the Yakima Skybox Pro. Fits easily on my Acura MDX and my wife's Subaru Outback. BIggest bummer for me is that our favorite place to stay in Mammoth has a height limit of 6'10" in the parking garage and neither vehicle is under this limit with the box so we always have to use a rack.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
That is a great color, BTW, @Philpug. M

Ski box....Packasport. We are on year 16 on our first. Have two others in the family. Bought my first Yakima about 30 years ago.

Google Packasport. Expensive, but IMO worth it.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Skybox Pro is probably too tall for an already tall Forester.. You will risk wrecking it in standard parking garages, drive thrus, low tree branches, etc. Another thing to watch for is to make sure you can mount it far enough forward on the crossbars so the rear hatch doesn't hit the back bottom of the ski box. I had to drill new holes in mine at the farthest forward point and it still keeps the rear hatch from opening all the way.. But heck I only paid $50 for it on craigslist and it came with a bike tray inside.

But if I ever have to replace it on a Forester I will be more picky about how far forward it can and should be mounted to allow proper rear hatch clearance. And, a low profile one is definitely recommended for a Forester since they are a little taller, due to more headroom and good ground clearance.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
How much difference a word makes - Thule PULSE Alpine has shown bad aerodynamics (too much front overhang - > car wobbles behind large trucks ; too abrupt a rear transition - > giant air burble behind the rear hatch - > rear end unstable esp. in crosswinds) and bad integration with the wind deflector so that the salt blown up by the deflector goes up and into the box overlap like water into a Lange toe dam. It's possible that a significantly longer roofline would lessen all these problems but I would be seriously hesitant to buy a Thule Pulse for just about any car.

Marcel

Booting up
Skier
have been using a thule sonic xl for 4 seasons and no issues... love the box!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In reality, I don't think there is a bad offering from any brand, it's just getting the model and size that fits your needs.

TS
Kent

Kent

Getting on the lift
Skier
Thule PULSE Alpine has shown bad aerodynamics (too much front overhang - > car wobbles behind large trucks ; too abrupt a rear transition - > giant air burble behind the rear hatch - > rear end unstable esp. in crosswinds) and bad integration with the wind deflector so that the salt blown up by the deflector goes up and into the box overlap like water into a Lange toe dam. It's possible that a significantly longer roofline would lessen all these problems but I would be seriously hesitant to buy a Thule Pulse for just about any car.
Good to know. Thanks.

Thule Force Alpine does the trick on our Forester. Can (just) be mounted forward enough to allow the rear hatch to be opened without contact. Not super low profile but haven't had any problems with that.
This is what I am looking at.

I need to look at the Yakima boxes.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Haven't hit them...yet...

It's not you and Tricia who are at risk, because you've internalized it. It's guests and mechanics. :)

Signed,
Guy whose mechanic has gotten pissed at him.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a Thule Adventurer that I really like. It's on an ancient Geo Prizm/Toyota Corolla. Yes, there's a lot of overhang, but you can carry up to a 210cm race ski in it without having to go diagonal across the box. It'll hold 5 pair of skis comfortably, probably 8 or 9 pair if you stuff it full.

Haven't noticed too many aerodynamic issues, TBH. I did put in about 1cm of spacers between the rear bar and the box to reduce under-box lift after the first week of ownership, but otherwise it's been wonderful.

Sponsor

Staff online