• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Ski Bus in Utah , hotels

Brettski

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Does anyone stay at hotels along the ski bus route in Utah? I’d like to stay near the four cottonwood resorts.
Thanks!
Brett

bubbamsu

Booting up
Skier
We stay at the Residence Inn in Cottonwood Heights every year. I can't help you with the bus situation as we drive to where ever we are skiing that day, but the area is a great starting point for the 4 resorts near by or even driving around to PC or DV.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've done three trips where I've stayed in Midvale along the ski bus route. It's a great way to save money on lodging and transportation. For my trips, I book hotels within walking distance of the Midvale Fort Union Station. The area feels a bit sketchy, but it's not too bad. Midvale Fort Union is both a ski bus stop, with routes to LCC and BCC, and also a TRAX stop. TRAX is SLC's light rail system, so you can take TRAX into downtown SLC to go out to eat. You can even take TRAX all the way from the airport to Midvale Fort Union. What's also nice about Midvale Fort Union is that it's the first or second stop of the ski bus, so even though the bus ride is longer than at places closer to LCC or BCC, you are basically guaranteed to get a seat on the bus. There's a gas station, maybe Harts, that sells electronic UTA bus passes that can be reloaded online. I would recommend picking up one of these for the bus and for TRAX.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I don't know about the current season, but last season if you had an Ikon pass you could go to Solitude and get the pass activated so it would work as a free UTA bus pass.

SnowbirdDevotee

Putting on skis
Skier
For Midvale Fort Union Station you would stay at La Quinta, which is a nice hotel, but it's a bit of a walk with you stuff from the hotel to the bus station, but as said above, good spot because you are first on bus and will get a seat.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've done three trips where I've stayed in Midvale along the ski bus route. It's a great way to save money on lodging and transportation. For my trips, I book hotels within walking distance of the Midvale Fort Union Station. The area feels a bit sketchy, but it's not too bad. Midvale Fort Union is both a ski bus stop, with routes to LCC and BCC, and also a TRAX stop. TRAX is SLC's light rail system, so you can take TRAX into downtown SLC to go out to eat. You can even take TRAX all the way from the airport to Midvale Fort Union. What's also nice about Midvale Fort Union is that it's the first or second stop of the ski bus, so even though the bus ride is longer than at places closer to LCC or BCC, you are basically guaranteed to get a seat on the bus. There's a gas station, maybe Harts, that sells electronic UTA bus passes that can be reloaded online. I would recommend picking up one of these for the bus and for TRAX.

@RJS - this info is gold! Soon to be retiring and will be looking for ways to maximize my ski travel budget!

skinavy

Booting up
Skier
2 weeks ago we stayed at the Hyatt Cottonwood Heights, right at the intersection of I-215 and 6200/Wasatch Blvd. Hot tub.
Also a Hampton Inn and the aforementioned Residence Inn in the same cluster, along with 1/2 doz decent restaurants within 1/2 mile- pick a place, depending on who you get points with... For eats I recommend Porcupine and Hog Wallow. Tuscan, for upscale Italian.
Hyatt's shuttle will run you to the stop at the 6200 park-n-ride- barely 2 minutes. It's one of the later stops, so you will need to stand on weekends and powder days. That can be a long time standing, if LCC is closed. If you're nice to the shuttle driver he will leave a little early to get you on the ~8:00 busses to either BCC or LCC.
The Monday we were there was a powder day, 1st 2 busses were at capacity (a very flexible number, and wayy above stated capacity, it seems). The drivers are good about calling back to the mothership often, reporting how many people left behind at a stop, and they seem to send out more busses than scheduled if demand is high? May just have been how traffic was moving, though.
IKON pass gives you free rides to all 4 of the canyon hills. No fuss, no muss. No "activating" required now.
One lesson to pass along- When leaving Alta or Snowbird, look at the bus #! 953 goes back via Cottonwood Heights, 994 does not. A few of the runs around 4pm both leave at the same time... work-around is to stay for last chair and have an après...

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have done three stays at the Crystal Inn in Midvale. The end of the driveway is the bus stop for LCC and the BCC stop is across the street. Usually reasonable on rates and they have a comp breakfast and warm snack ( soup salad or pasta) included. Hot tub and pool as well. Its clean and the staff has a shuttle van that will pick you up at the airport and make reasonable runs to local eateries. I do not need high end accommodations so it fits me to a tee. Ymmv.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
I have done three stays at the Crystal Inn in Midvale. The end of the driveway is the bus stop for LCC and the BCC stop is across the street. Usually reasonable on rates and they have a comp breakfast and warm snack ( soup salad or pasta) included. Hot tub and pool as well. Its clean and the staff has a shuttle van that will pick you up at the airport and make reasonable runs to local eateries. I do not need high end accommodations so it fits me to a tee. Ymmv.

The maps from this year show you need to transfer to get to BCC from the Crystal Inn. Either that or take the free shuttle south of the highway to the BCC line.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
Second @skinavy report. Hyatt: free shuttle anywhere within 5 miles. Breakfasts included. Decent hot tub. Good pizza place in walking distance. BBQ ribs place in same parking lot is good. More expensive than the Hampton.

TS
B

Brettski

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks everyone for the good information!

Brett

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
Has anyone stayed at the Park Inn by the Fort Union station?

Reviews are pretty mixed, averaging around 70%. Normally I go for 80%+, but the close proximity to the station and the $50/night sale price makes it tempting.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
We ended up booking the Crystal Inn downtown. We're further from the Canyons, but that much closer to Snowbasin which we also plan to hit.

bmoreiskier

Booting up
Skier
third @skinavy on where to stay and the restaurant recommendations. I stayed at the Hilton last year, the bus stopped directly out front and was the first stop. Even on a powder day we had a seat on the way to the mountain, which was nice given the trip took more than 2 hours up and almost 2 hours back the two days we had foot plus of fresh snow. Funny thing is all i remember was the skiing not the terrible times on the bus. It was that good.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you have the Ikon pass ,you just swipe you pass as you get get on , the service is great plus they now charge for parking in BCC

Sponsor

Staff online