• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski boots with walk mode that actually works?

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the Cochise 120. Bought mainly because it was the boot that fit me the best. The walk mode is decent, but it gets much better with a touring liner. It comes with alpine soles with smal traction sections, but Gripwalk is available.

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@brucen46 , what bindings do you have? Are you willing (able) to get new bindings?

I would stick to Alpine or Gripwalk soles.
AT soles will walk much nicer, but proper release is much more questionable, even in “AT compatible” bindings.*

WTR is the same idea as Gripwalk, but it’s the Betamax of ski soles, even Salomon/Atomic themselves have ditched it this year.

*https://digital.lib.washington.edu/...ington_0250E_16657.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
If you're set on walk mode, I can't offer much advise; my requirements impose a stiff solid liner that would make any boot shell walk mode useless.

However, I can tell you that if you manage to make the boot really fit well, you will be comfortable all day every day, no matter how stiff it is.

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
Looking at the Lange XT120LV. Anybody have these? I just want to be sure it will be a good resort boot. Using it as a downhill boot most of the time. I hear it would be more like a 110 flex compared to Lange RX120. Thanks.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
You can add Fischer Ranger 130 Walk DYN to your list. Don't if the fit is right foor your foot, obviously. By in terms of feateures: the walk spendidly (55 degrees range of motion) and the ski almost as good as my Fischer RC4 Curv 130. They have GripWalk soles and Dynafit inserts.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Looking at the Lange XT120LV. Anybody have these? I just want to be sure it will be a good resort boot. Using it as a downhill boot most of the time. I hear it would be more like a 110 flex compared to Lange RX120. Thanks.

Assuming you mean the XT Freetour. I spent a day in them. They don't have the smooth damp feel of the RX (or the older version of the XT), but are a very solid, poppy boot. Sort of inherent in the plastics used to achieve the lighter weight. They make it in a 130 flex if you're concerned about softness that is plenty burly. Or if that is not enough, there is a "Pro" version as well that is supposedly even stiffer.

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
The boot I mean to say is Lange xt Free 120 and thanks for the info. Hate to give up a good solid connected feel.

BLspruce2

Getting on the lift
Skier
I just received the Nordica Strider 130's and am them getting set up. They are size 29.5 and weigh about 4.5 lbs vs 6 lbs for my trusted Nordica Doberman GP 130's. I bought the Strider 130 version and glad I did as they are noticeably softer at least at room temperature than the Doberman 130's. I like stiffer boots as I am 6' 2", 220 lbs and ski 185+ length skis. My first impression is the Nordica Strider 130 is they have a much bigger volume toe box, more insulation but the heal seems tight. It has a 100 mm last vs the 99" mm last of the Nordica Dobermans but are a much more comfortable and warmth oriented.boot. I hope they are not too big as the shell size is correct for me. The reason I bought them is I own Nordica Doberman's 130 and older 150's and love them but they are not suited to walking or long days at a resort. They are really a consumer version of a racing boot. I normally take walking shoes and then put on my boots in the lodge before heading off but when going to resorts that is not convenient. I also wanted a boot for Tuckerman's Ravine on Mt Washington that I could hike up in. Anyway I will report back how these new Nordica Strider AT's work. It feel like they will be a compromise skiing wise as they are not as stiff but their added versatility and walking capability might make them the perfect for resorts, hiking up to other areas off piste etc. I looked at the competitor boots mentioned above and the level of engineering on all of them is incredible. I think if they can make boots that you can walk in and ski well in it will help the sport tremendously.

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
there are lots of boots with a good walk function, but nothing compares to a pinned boot. No matter how much they claim it's the same, it never is the same. That doesn't mean you can't find a boot that will work very well, but if you need a high flex #, you might be struggling to find something

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Loving all the recommendations for boots (everything from a zero G Pro to a BFC) with absolutely zero knowledge of the OPs foot or current boot, ski, size, weight, height, experience, binding, etc.... gives me hope for my new web startup: 'internethaircuts.com'.

Last edited:

Spring1898

Booting up
Skier
There are a lot of boots out there with decent walk modes these days and they seem to be improving with each subsequent generation. But it is hard to recommend any without knowing what your foot type is, and what kind of other attributes you are looking for.

You are going to hear a lot of people poo-poo boots with a walk mode as sacrificing this or that. I really like the walk mode as it seems every slope I go to has a long walk and 2-3 flights of stairs. That and I don't push my skis/boots to the ultimate limit to where it would likely matter.

Personally I have tested 3 different boots with walk modes
2019 Dalbello Panterra's, 2019 Salomon QST Pro's, and the Atomic Ultra XTD.

The panterra's were the heaviest, but they may have changed that this year. They were the burliest of the 3 I tried, but had the least ROM for the walk mode, that may also have changed this year. They were the cheapest and came with GW soles

The QST pro's were the middle weight around 3.5lbs, and had substantially improved ROM over the panterras, but the tongue design limited forward flex to a degree. They were the middle priced. They come with touring and alpine soles.

The Ultra XTD's are without a doubt the best ROM out of the 3, and loosening the buckles meant I had almost full ROM needed for walking and ascending/descending stairs. They are also the lightest at just over 3lbs, BUT the liners are thin and the boots are thin. They are not cold or flimsy per se, but definitely the least stiff out of the lot I tested and the least warm.
They are also the most expensive by a large margin but the ones I liked the best. for 2020 they changed to GW soles for better binding compatibility.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Personally I have tested 3 different boots with walk modes
2019 Dalbello Panterra's, 2019 Salomon QST Pro's, and the Atomic Ultra XTD.

I think it is worth giving a bit of context to these three boots. The first two are boots designed primarily for inbounds skiing, with a walk mode as an afterthought for comfort while moving around at the base or up a boot pack.

The Ultra XTD is an entirely different class of boot. It is designed first and foremost as a touring boot for long days on the skin track. The fact it can even be compared to boots weighing a pound more per foot is impressive.

Spring1898

Booting up
Skier
You make a good point about the Ultra XTD's, which I tried to touch on. But they really aren't that much lighter than the Panterras or the QST pro's. 1/2lb is definitely noticeable, but more so is the difference in feel due to design. The XTD's to me feel a lot different than the other two which feel much more like the traditional ski boot.
They probably wouldn't be worth mentioning except that with the GripWalk standard now they can actually be used with a lot more bindings.

TS
B

brucen46

Booting up
Skier
@brucen46 , what bindings do you have? Are you willing (able) to get new bindings?

I would stick to Alpine or Gripwalk soles.
AT soles will walk much nicer, but proper release is much more questionable, even in “AT compatible” bindings.*

WTR is the same idea as Gripwalk, but it’s the Betamax of ski soles, even Salomon/Atomic themselves have ditched it this year.

*https://digital.lib.washington.edu/...ington_0250E_16657.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

Hi, my skis have regular alpine bindings I believe. I'd rather not get new bindings, so I suppose that will limit my choice of compatible boots.

TS
B

brucen46

Booting up
Skier
Loving all the recommendations for boots (everything from a zero G Pro to a BFC) with absolutely zero knowledge of the OPs foot or current boot, ski, size, weight, height, experience, binding, etc.... gives me hope for my new web startup: 'internethaircuts.com'.

Hi, my height is 5'10, weight 185 lbs or so. Experience, probably intermediate, but I can't really carve yet and I'm still working on separating legs from upper body. But I can get down most greens and blues by skidding. My skis have alpine bindings only and I don't want to change that. Foot size is about 27 cm (US size 9 I believe). Unfortunately the other foot is about a half size smaller, so this is one of the big problems I had with rentals, one foot always felt either too loose or too tight.

offtraildog

Booting up
Skier
same as @Slim .. worked with a lcoal bootfitter and the Technia Chocise 120 fit my foot and style of skiing the best. The added bonus was the walk mode which is easy to use.

TS
B

brucen46

Booting up
Skier
Question: If I measured my feet attributes with one of those fancy camera ski boot apps and post the results here, can someone recommend a particular boot with an appropriate volume as a starting point for fitting?

The reason I ask is because I called some ski shops and their boots are around $700! Same boot online is sometimes half the price. So I figured if I buy a closely pre-matched boot to my feet, and then get the fitting done from there?

I assume that's what most boot fitters do initially anyways, isn't it? They measure the feet and recommend appropriate boots that would match the foot size?

E221b

New Yorker Dreaming of the Mountains
Skier
Question: If I measured my feet attributes with one of those fancy camera ski boot apps and post the results here, can someone recommend a particular boot with an appropriate volume as a starting point for fitting?

The reason I ask is because I called some ski shops and their boots are around $700! Same boot online is sometimes half the price. So I figured if I buy a closely pre-matched boot to my feet, and then get the fitting done from there?

I assume that's what most boot fitters do initially anyways, isn't it? They measure the feet and recommend appropriate boots that would match the foot size?
Oh you're going to get a whole lot of replies to this... Safe to say not a good idea. I'll let an expert like @Philpug take it from here lol

Sponsor