• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski boots with walk mode that actually works?

brucen46

Booting up
Skier
I'm in the market for new ski boots. I was thinking of getting free ride boots instead of on-piste only boots. Not that I will be doing any free riding, I'm just an intermediate and will stick to on piste. However, I wanted a more comfortable boot both on the slopes and walking around the lodge and parking lot. I've heard free ride boots are more comfortable as they are a bit wider and stand a little more upright. I don't care about losing any precision for downhill skiing. The biggest factor I want though is a good walk mode where when you flick the switch it actually feels more flexible and easier to walk. I once had boots with a walk mode, but there was virtually no difference in the modes. I could even ski downhill in walk mode with no problems.

I saw some of the new boots now that boast up to 50 degrees of motion range so I'm wondering if things have improved in this area. I was perhaps considering Rossignol Alltrack 110 or 120. Has anyone tried these? Does anyone know which boots have the absolutely best walk mode? How are free ride boots different from all-mountain?

Thanks.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Most folks around here are much, much more focused on their boots performance. The likely recommendation is to find a good bootfitter, forget about touring boots or walk mode, and let the fitter put you in a boot that fits your foot properly, and will allow you to ski (and progress as a skier) properly.

But if you're really set on walking and comfort, you might want to consider Apex boots: https://www.apexskiboots.com/

I've demo'ed them, and found them to be pretty good. You do have to carry the frames or leave them with your skis, but otherwise they could be your answer.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Does anyone know which boots have the absolutely best walk mode?

I do, but you probably don't want them (Arc'teryx Procline, 72 degrees of rotation, plus lateral movement where you can shift your ankle side to side). They're probably not compatible with your bindings and they're super soft & pretty terrible for the downhill (but I've heard they're fantastic for ice climbing).

What are your current boots and do you have any bindings that aren't going anywhere, where your new boot would need to be compatible? I'd go to fitter with your wish list and try things on. Walk mode cuff rotation is only part of the equation - pivot point matters, ramp angle matters - and which ones have the biggest impact on your comfort will be completely personal based on how you're built. (Other differences can include Gripwalk/WTR or even touring soles, so I'd definitely make sure you're working with a fitter who can point you in the right direction for compatibility).

If you're struggling to find something that works, I have a friend who keeps a pair of North Face Thermoball Traction Mules in her pack to switch into during breaks. Kinda extra, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous sometimes.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One thing to be aware of with Apex boots especially but also with AT boots to a lesser extent is, you are sacrificing mod-ability relative to a standard downhill boot, which means the boot might be more comfortable out of the box, but you're not necessarily going to get as good a fit overall.

With the Apex boots in particular, you're pretty much stuck with the shape of the frame. I see no way their boots could ever be made to accommodate my sixth toe area, for instance, as one part of their metal frame falls right on top of the spot I always get a punch on any new pair of boots. Certainly I could leave the boots looser to accommodate that spot, but I doubt the boots would ski very. (I'd certainly love to give a pair a try just to see how this works if I ever get the chance.)

Some AT boots have this problem to a lesser extent due to varying buckle configurations (in the name of weight savings and uphill performance). Again, if a buckle is sitting on top of an area where you need room, options to fix that will be very limited.

If you're looking for a boot that just fits comfortably in order avoid going into a shop multiple times for work, AT boots certainly will tend to be more comfortable while standing or walking. Having tried a number of AT boots last winter, certainly not all of them transition to walk mode with only a flip of a switch (they actually vary a lot), but I can also safely say that you'd… erm… notice if you left just about any of them in walk mode and tried to go downhill. The difference is night and day between downhill and uphill configurations.

That said, I'd still recommend looking for a good bootfitter and getting a properly-fit downhill boot. At least from my experience with fairly difficult feet to deal with, I can count on 5 or 6 trips back to the fitter throughout the season to get a new pair of boots dialed in. But, once i've got everything set, I don't really even need to worry about loosening buckles at any point throughout the day for comfort, yet I have boots that fit my feet without even a millimeter to spare just about anywhere inside.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
With the Apex boots in particular, you're pretty much stuck with the shape of the frame.

According to the Apex rep at the demo, this isn't true. Apparently they can do a decent amount of stretching and moving of the frame. Whether that would be anything like a standard boot, I don't know.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I'm in the market for new ski boots. I was thinking of getting free ride boots instead of on-piste only boots. Not that I will be doing any free riding, I'm just an intermediate and will stick to on piste. However, I wanted a more comfortable boot both on the slopes and walking around the lodge and parking lot. I've heard free ride boots are more comfortable as they are a bit wider and stand a little more upright. I don't care about losing any precision for downhill skiing. The biggest factor I want though is a good walk mode where when you flick the switch it actually feels more flexible and easier to walk. I once had boots with a walk mode, but there was virtually no difference in the modes. I could even ski downhill in walk mode with no problems.

I saw some of the new boots now that boast up to 50 degrees of motion range so I'm wondering if things have improved in this area. I was perhaps considering Rossignol Alltrack 110 or 120. Has anyone tried these? Does anyone know which boots have the absolutely best walk mode? How are free ride boots different from all-mountain?

Thanks.

The best boot that has a awesome walk mode, is pretty light, has good soles and is still great for skiing at the resort on Skis w/ Alpine Bindings is the Atomic Hawx XTD 120.

TS
B

brucen46

Booting up
Skier
The best boot that has a awesome walk mode, is pretty light, has good soles and is still great for skiing at the resort on Skis w/ Alpine Bindings is the Atomic Hawx XTD 120.

Thank you! Just the kind of answer I was looking for.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Look also at the tecnica zerog guide pro.
I think it skis better than the xtd, and it certainly walks well.

I would not get an alpine boot for your needs.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
I think you will find any of the modern walk mode boots to be far superior to you old boots with one caveat. To get full range of walk mode the upper buckles will need to be loosened.

For your use I would recommend staying away from AT soles and recommend Gripwalk. The AT soles will walk better but really can complicate binding use, even if the manufactures say otherwise. The Gripwalk will walk much better than Alpine soles.

As said before, fit does matter the most. Fortunately the availability of different fits is pretty good.

I recommend trying as many of these on as possible- both for fit and how you find the walk mode. Some will walk better than others, some will be easier to engage walk mode, some will be fiddly. How they work for YOU is what matters. This won't be a cheap venture so trying on is important.

If you can try on a few of these it will help you a lot. There will be no way to try all these, but this list should give you an idea of the variety available-

The Rossis you mentioned
Lange XT series available low volume and mid volume
Atomic XTD seriously low volume, not easy to put on, I don't feel it heat molds nearly as well as the regular Ultras, traditional punching may be needed fwd lean can be adjusted 13-17*
K2 Mindbender low and mid volume available, from early reports not the lowest volume Fwd lean can be set at 12* or 17*
K2 BFC supposedly has walk mode, no idea of how well it works, made for hobbit feet
Nordica Strider mid volume cushy feel
Roxa R3 series Lower mid volume
Roxa R/fit new boot, high volume
Tecnica Cochise mid volume, high instep, Pretty sure Zero G is AT sole only.
Fischer, not familiar with these fit wise
Dalbello Lupos, Low and mid volume
Full tilt Ascendant high volume
Salomon QST, mid volume with low instep, not sure if Gripwalk available, may only be AT and Alpine
Head Kore mid volume

The liner construction will also make a huge difference in the walk mode, most of these boots are more optimized for the down. If you want to see what a huge difference it makes, try on last years Hawx XTD 120 on one foot and a 130 on the other.

If you are happy with your current boots, spend $20.00 on a pair of Yaktrax Skitrax. Between the well designed rocker sole and the shock absorbing they provide,
I can run in my ski boots with no walk mode!

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Look also at the tecnica zerog guide pro.
I think it skis better than the xtd, and it certainly walks well.
Tecnica makes freeride boots with a good walk mode, like the Cochise. And the Scarpa Freedom SL has a good walk mode, with somewhat higher volume than Tecnica.

Ask your local boot fitter.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think you will find any of the modern walk mode boots to be far superior to you old boots.
THIS.

One addition to this point, the new sole options ie Gripwalk and AT also add a tremendous amount of range and comfort to the walkability of these modern boots. Now, go to your shop and see which walk feature boot fits your foot.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
According to the Apex rep at the demo, this isn't true. Apparently they can do a decent amount of stretching and moving of the frame. Whether that would be anything like a standard boot, I don't know.
I’d be curious to see how that works.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Thank you! Just the kind of answer I was looking for.

Keep in mind the XTD requires Gripwalk compatible alpine bindings, not standard alpine bindings.

And that is true for many boots with a good walk mode.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Just an aside to walk mode boots with the potential for shell thermoshaping (i.e. Fischer vacuum technology).

In my one experience with this technology, the walk mode was totally compromised by the shell reshaping process. A nice comfortable boot (Fischer Hybrid 12), but the reshaping made the walk mode non-existent. The cuff doesn't slide like it should.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Glad to see this thread turn around to give the OP the info he is looking for.
There are many options for a high performance boot at 130 flex with a tour / walk mode even for those who don’t tour.
I for one boot up at home in Cochise 130s and then either get a ride or even drive in my boots - not for everyone!
Spending 10+ hours in your boots daily - coaching, officiating and or teaching plus commuting you can really appreciate not being clamped in until it’s necessary and yes a great boot fitter is key with that performance fit.
When you add in aging knees and bone spurs on your feet - why wouldn’t you want a walk mode and tour buckles ?

TS
B

brucen46

Booting up
Skier
I think you will find any of the modern walk mode boots to be far superior to you old boots with one caveat. To get full range of walk mode the upper buckles will need to be loosened.

For your use I would recommend staying away from AT soles and recommend Gripwalk. The AT soles will walk better but really can complicate binding use, even if the manufactures say otherwise. The Gripwalk will walk much better than Alpine soles.

As said before, fit does matter the most. Fortunately the availability of different fits is pretty good.

I recommend trying as many of these on as possible- both for fit and how you find the walk mode. Some will walk better than others, some will be easier to engage walk mode, some will be fiddly. How they work for YOU is what matters. This won't be a cheap venture so trying on is important.

If you can try on a few of these it will help you a lot. There will be no way to try all these, but this list should give you an idea of the variety available-

The Rossis you mentioned
Lange XT series available low volume and mid volume
Atomic XTD seriously low volume, not easy to put on, I don't feel it heat molds nearly as well as the regular Ultras, traditional punching may be needed fwd lean can be adjusted 13-17*
K2 Mindbender low and mid volume available, from early reports not the lowest volume Fwd lean can be set at 12* or 17*
K2 BFC supposedly has walk mode, no idea of how well it works, made for hobbit feet
Nordica Strider mid volume cushy feel
Roxa R3 series Lower mid volume
Roxa R/fit new boot, high volume
Tecnica Cochise mid volume, high instep, Pretty sure Zero G is AT sole only.
Fischer, not familiar with these fit wise
Dalbello Lupos, Low and mid volume
Full tilt Ascendant high volume
Salomon QST, mid volume with low instep, not sure if Gripwalk available, may only be AT and Alpine
Head Kore mid volume

The liner construction will also make a huge difference in the walk mode, most of these boots are more optimized for the down. If you want to see what a huge difference it makes, try on last years Hawx XTD 120 on one foot and a 130 on the other.

If you are happy with your current boots, spend $20.00 on a pair of Yaktrax Skitrax. Between the well designed rocker sole and the shock absorbing they provide,
I can run in my ski boots with no walk mode!

Thanks, this was useful. I haven't tried them yet, but you're right the Atomic XTDs look like they will be too low volume. I'll look at some of the others on your list.

Dan P

Booting up
Skier
....the boots I just picked up this weekend: Dalbello Panterra 130 ID GW. If you are going to be walking or hiking much they are very light weight with special ID liners designed to flex, the ski/walk mechanism is SOLID with a wide range of motion, have GW soles installed from the factory, and they should be powerful on the descent. I had the Panterra 120s last season and they were amazing boots. The new 2020 Panterra 130s are well over a pound lighter than last years as the lower shell is molded out of a new material specific to the Panterra 130, fit just the same, and feel noticeably stiffer (at least in the shop). I can't wait to get them on the snow.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
If you can't find a good fit in the walking mode boots, you can make a boot without the mode more comfortable to walk in with Yaktrax brand "SkiTrax." These are made of rubber and they stretch over the sole of the boot. You have to take them off to clip into your ski bindings. These give you better grip/traction plus they allow you to roll heel to toe with each step. There is a bit of a rounded profile to them. I like them a lot and use them where I know I will be walking hundreds of yards. If I am not walking much, they are not worth the time to install. Definitely not as convenient as a lever you flip on a boot. I've used mine for about 20 days of skiing. I expect I could get at least another 20 out of them before I would need new ones.

10e24c2d-691c-4432-abdd-f8a67396b6f7