• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Boots in a Women's 11?

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
My wife no longer fit's in her ski boots since having a baby. She now wears a women's 11 and it would appear that no one makes a women's boot that large. Are there any brands that run significantly larger or is the best option to go to a men's boot?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
She should get to a bootfitter. Most of the women I know who have had foot size changes after pregnancy, their feet got wider, not longer. In street shoes it's not such a big deal to go up sizes to deal with that but in a ski boot it can be very problematic. I wear a 9.5 street shoe and a 10 athletic shoe but my ski boots are a 24.5 that have been punched to allow for the wider foot. On most boot conversion charts a 24.5 is equivelant to a size 7.5. I would swim and lose all control in the 26.5 that the charts suggest.

lange-adult-ski-boot-sizing.png

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
*27.5 (Mondo) is the largest "women's" boot. At this point it is just cosmetic for the most part. Unless she was'ts softer colors or the model name in cursive on the boot, she can keep options open with a unisex boots.

*FWIW, most shops might have a minimal inventory in this size.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Disregard M/F designations, usually it's just a shorter cuff and a fuzzy liner.

A good boot fitter will put her in what will work.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree that if she can handle a taller cuff then going to mens boots is fine. For me, a taller cuff puts me in severe pain because it doesn't allow for my calf size.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
My wife no longer fit's in her ski boots since having a baby. She now wears a women's 11 and it would appear that no one makes a women's boot that large. Are there any brands that run significantly larger or is the best option to go to a men's boot?
My wife wears size 11 and she has had no problem finding boots. She was in a 26.5 before she basically gave up skiing for health reasons.

TS
Cameron

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
The tough decision becomes whether to try to find something local at the relatively limited options available in Southwest Ohio or wait until we go on vacation in April when inventory is likely to thin. If we wait until April what are the best options close to Copper Mountain?

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
How old are her boots? As an alternate option, she may be able to get her existing ones punched a little and still use them. If she only moved a half size, it should be totally doable.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A random thought, does she like her old boots other than feeling like they're now too small? Is it possible that a bootfitter could do some work on them to get them into shape and you don't have to worry about stock? If it's possible I might try that with the back up of buying new. I'm guessing Racer's Edge in Breck will be your best bet.

TS
Cameron

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
Her current boots are old. I think I bought them for her in 2001 and she hasn't skied since 2007 so I'm counting on more or less starting over from scratch on this trip but at least I am getting her back on snow.

TS
Cameron

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
She always complained about being cold, walking in ski boots, etc. so I figured it was worth a shot to try something different so I ordered a pair of Apex women's boots in a 27.5 but they were too short.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh yes, those are definitely too old to do modifications to them. Keep in mind that Apex boots will fit very differently than traditional ski boots. Given the lateness of the trip, I think I would lean towards finding something that she thinks will work and plan on having some fitting done when you get to Colorado. Another thought is to buy from REI so you have a longer return window so if the fitter looks at the boot and says no way you can still return. Normally I would never suggest this path but you're in a weird situation with weird timing.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
Where’s the harm in trying at a local shop first? You could get lucky and find some of last year’s stock marked down. And even if they don’t have the right boot, you might get some suggestions on what to look for based on your wife’s foot. Get a rough measure of her current mondo size by tracing her foot and make some calls to see what the local shops have. It’s a starting point.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
She always complained about being cold, walking in ski boots, etc. so I figured it was worth a shot to try something different so I ordered a pair of Apex women's boots in a 27.5 but they were too short.

Did you "shell fit" the new boots? If I had to bet, those should be big enough. With some fitting, a 26.5 would probably be good too.

Read this before you go further:

https://realskiers.com/revelations/know-buy-next-boots/

silverback

Skier
No shell? Who knew?

https://www.apexskiboots.com/blogs/the-system/fit-room

I'd still have her buckle in. Her toes should touch the end without being totally smushed. Have her bend her ankles putting a good amount of pressure on the tongue if the boot. Her toes should just lightly touch the front at that point.

There are lots of other things a boot fitter would do for her. Worth the effort and money to go to a good one. What ever you do, work hard to avoid slipper comfortable too large boots.

TS
Cameron

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
I rolled the dice and spend the big bucks on a pair of Apex in a 28 because they seemed to be the best way to overcome some of her gripes about skiing but she says they make her feet numb and her old boots never did that so I guess its back to square one with the search for a boot fitter.

silverback

Skier
Is she using thin socks?

I like these but people have their favorites. If they are much thicker than a pair of nylons, she'll have issues (and cold feet).

https://www.wigwam.com/products/p-whisper-socks.aspx?productid=2387

From realskiers:

"Socks play an insignificant role in providing insulation, a job better left to the inner boot. The role of the ski sock is to be slick, the better to slide into a recalcitrant boot, and to wick, as in moving moisture away from the foot. Using a thicker sock to boost insulating properties is an enterprise doomed to failure.

The thick sock — or, worse yet, the dread double-sock — takes up every iota of space that ought to be reserved for the miniscule amount of trapped air that’s essential for insulation of any kind to be effective.

It’s also more prone to wrinkle, sag and bunch, none of which is good. Not to mention that it’s probably made from the wrong fabrics, piling on more demerits. Worst of all, thick socks compromise circulation in the foot, resulting in cold feet at best and possibly even frostbite.

If you’re using thick socks to fill up excess space inside your boots, Lord help you.

If you want warm feet, buy an ultra lightweight synthetic blend ski sock. Make sure your boots are warm when you put them on."

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
I rolled the dice and spend the big bucks on a pair of Apex in a 28 because they seemed to be the best way to overcome some of her gripes about skiing but she says they make her feet numb and her old boots never did that so I guess its back to square one with the search for a boot fitter.

The boot fitter is typically the best bet. If she's tall with typical calves, there will be lots of options. If she's shorter with muscular calves, then women specific and short cuff options will be better. A fitter will look at her whole foot/leg and make the best recommendation.

Sponsor

Staff online