• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

EpicSkier14

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hey!

I'm looking for suggestions on a pair of freestyle ski boots. I went to a boot fitter and he put me in a pair of Salomon Xmax 100's and did alot of custom work, but they kill my legs and shins on jumps.

thanks for the recommendations!!

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't know about instep, but FullTilt.

Where are you located? Pretty hard to boot fit over the internet

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Do the Salomon fit you we'll? Not really a high instep boot.
If they do a good way to get a longer flex range which is part of what 3 piece boots offer,) is to shave the bottom of the second buckle from top. This allows for more range of flex as the buckle is delayed from hitting the overlap.

TS
E

EpicSkier14

Skier
Do the Salomon fit you we'll? Not really a high instep boot.
If they do a good way to get a longer flex range which is part of what 3 piece boots offer,) is to shave the bottom of the second buckle from top. This allows for more range of flex as the buckle is delayed from hitting the overlap.
Yes, the salomons were fitted by a shop and heat molded. they still hurt too much though. I'm thinking the liner is to high up on my calf or something. I got the same pain with a pair of Xpros.

TS
E

EpicSkier14

Skier
Don't know about instep, but FullTilt.

Where are you located? Pretty hard to boot fit over the internet
I'm in Maine. I like full tilts, but I tried a pair of 2017 Descendant 4' s and they were crushing my Instep. maybe the 2019 drop kicks are better?

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
I see a lot of park guys on FT's. I've been on them for years and put my son in them. I have a narrow low volume foot, skinny skinny ankles and they work great. If the shell fits your foot shape the intuition liners will make em like a warm glove. You can change out the tongues for stiffness depending on what you want for flex.

TS
E

EpicSkier14

Skier
I see a lot of park guys on FT's. I've been on them for years and put my son in them. I have a narrow low volume foot, skinny skinny ankles and they work great. If the shell fits your foot shape the intuition liners will make em like a warm glove. You can change out the tongues for stiffness depending on what you want for flex.
Cool. I wish I had a local shop that had a pair or a place that does free return shipping.

TS
E

EpicSkier14

Skier
what type of foot does your son have?

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
We both have the FT First Chair. His foot is shorter, slightly fatter and not as high of an arch as I have. I had to put custom foot beds in mine due to the low foot volume high arch issue. My son runs a thin flat foot bed under the liner to fill up the space for him. I initially had them fitted at the boot shop but fine tuned it from there as the first season in them went along.

TS
E

EpicSkier14

Skier
We both have the FT First Chair. His foot is shorter, slightly fatter and not as high of an arch as I have. I had to put custom foot beds in mine due to the low foot volume high arch issue. My son runs a thin flat foot bed under the liner to fill up the space for him. I initially had them fitted at the boot shop but fine tuned it from there as the first season in them went along.
Awesome. How high of an arch would you say you have? did you have pain in the boots at first?

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I'm in Maine. I like full tilts, but I tried a pair of 2017 Descendant 4' s and they were crushing my Instep. maybe the 2019 drop kicks are better?

The drop kicks are the classic last. They aren't going to fit your instep any better as they are very similar shape, with the Descendant having a bit more room in the forefoot.

Hesitant to make recommendations over the net. Talking with a local bootfitter in Maine (of which there are plenty) is really your best bet.

High instep, skinny ankle can be a tough one. You may be best off with custom work to accommodate your instep instead of being in a high volume boot generally. Depending on how different your instep is from your other measurements, you may be able to get away with just molding the shell (a la Fischer, Salomon or Atomic.) You may alternatively need a punch, liner mods, or zeppa grinding.

Some here who have a wide arrange of boot lines on hand may have better suggestions.

TS
E

EpicSkier14

Skier
The drop kicks are the classic last. They aren't going to fit your instep any better as they are very similar shape, with the Descendant having a bit more room in the forefoot.

Hesitant to make recommendations over the net. Talking with a local bootfitter in Maine (of which there are plenty) is really your best bet.

High instep, skinny ankle can be a tough one. You may be best off with custom work to accommodate your instep instead of being in a high volume boot generally. Depending on how different your instep is from your other measurements, you may be able to get away with just molding the shell (a la Fischer, Salomon or Atomic.) You may alternatively need a punch, liner mods, or zeppa grinding.

Some here who have a wide arrange of boot lines on hand may have better suggestions.

Could they make the FT shell work for me do you think?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Could they make the FT shell work for me do you think?

Really depends on how high of an instep you're talking about. Short of seeing and measuring your foot its hard to say. One problem with 3piece designs like the FT is that you can't exactly punch then instep since its the tongue. So you're limited to liner mods, or zeppa grinding. In my memory, the FT zeppa is .... non existent or anemic at best.

TS
E

EpicSkier14

Skier
Really depends on how high of an instep you're talking about. Short of seeing and measuring your foot its hard to say. One problem with 3piece designs like the FT is that you can't exactly punch then instep since its the tongue. So you're limited to liner mods, or zeppa grinding. In my memory, the FT zeppa is .... non existent or anemic at best.

Okay. I was looking at the atomic hawx prime 100's, but I don't really have that much cash to spend esp. after buying these.

TS
E

EpicSkier14

Skier
the bootfitter I saw said I have very very high arches. What would you think about a boot like the Dalbello Jakk or Salomon Ghost?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
the bootfitter I saw said I have very very high arches. What would you think about a boot like the Dalbello Jakk or Salomon Ghost?

High arches or high instep? Not the same thing.

Short of putting your foot in a boot, it's hard to know what is going to work well.

TS
E

EpicSkier14

Skier
High arches or high instep? Not the same thing.

Short of putting your foot in a boot, it's hard to know what is going to work well.

I have high arches. alot of boots I've tried on don't fit me over the instep area because it's so high.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I have high arches. alot of boots I've tried on don't fit me over the instep area because it's so high.

Then you have high arches and a high instep.

For example: I have a high instep and normal arches. Some people with high arches have a normal instep. It depends on the volume of the foot.

Sponsor

Staff online