• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
I don't fly enough to visualize -- would a pair of ski boots, unbagged, fit under an airline seat?

I'm thinking not, but I must have dropped too much acid back in the hippy days, because I can't recall for the life of me. I snapped up a too-cheap-to-ignore, non-stop ticket from Philadelphia to Denver, but it's one of those new basic economy tickets. No carry-ons! Just what can fit under the seat in front of you. I have custom boots that I ALWAYS put in my 22" carry-on, rather than check them, but my wings are clipped on that front.

I've seen guys board planes with their boots hanging around their neck, but I never bothered to look what they did with them (presumably stowed them above). I could put them with the rest of my checked luggage, but you know how Murphy's Law goes, and my boots are the one essential bit of gear in my logistics train.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I'm going no guy..I can barely get my feet under there..you might be able to jam them in unpacked but the FA's might give you grief.

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm sure they will fit and leave a small amount of room for feet, are you tall?. I put a very large back pack with my camera gear and laptop under the seats of most planes.
IMG_0601.JPG
Very rare it won't fit for me and it's much wider than a pair of boots. It actually fits under the seat in small commuter planes but not in the small over heads they have. You would need to lay them flat end to end, and they would not be as long as back pack, comparing mine right now to the size of the pack. I'm betting you can rest your feet on top of the boots just in most planes, since my pack actually fits under and you wouldn't damage your boots putting your feet on them a little. I do try always get the aisle or just a little extra leg room but I'm not always so lucky.

I don't fly enough to visualize -- would a pair of ski boots, unbagged, fit under an airline seat?

I'm thinking not, but I must have dropped too much acid back in the hippy days, because I can't recall for the life of me. I snapped up a too-cheap-to-ignore, non-stop ticket from Philadelphia to Denver, but it's one of those new basic economy tickets. No carry-ons! Just what can fit under the seat in front of you. I have custom boots that I ALWAYS put in my 22" carry-on, rather than check them, but my wings are clipped on that front.

I've seen guys board planes with their boots hanging around their neck, but I never bothered to look what they did with them (presumably stowed them above). I could put them with the rest of my checked luggage, but you know how Murphy's Law goes, and my boots are the one essential bit of gear in my logistics train.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Would it depend on the size of your feet/boot if it fits under the seat.

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
Mine in that photo are 25.5 and I have some 26.5 shells here also and they take up less room than the bag so those sizes are good ), a street shoe size 12 might be an issue though )

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
If you are flying Spirit or Frontier ...Spirit, they are very strict about what you can take with you as a personal item. The personal item size is 18 in x 14 in x 8, which is not a whole lot. A pair of boots will likely exceed that. They may size it and if doesn't fit in the sizer, you will have to pay the carry-on fee at the gate, which is like $60. Frontier is a little bit more relax about what they consider a personal item. That being said, I wouldn't push it too much. Their personal item size is the same as Spirit and I think the fees at the gate are the same. So don't be surprised if either one tells you the boots are too big and you will have to pay the carry-on fee.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Will they they still on your feet?

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
Will they they still on your feet?
LOL there's an idea, just wear them!

I just measured my boots on the floor there, again they are a 25.5 shells, but easily fit in the 18x14x8. They measure 15x13x5.5. So still good. I'm pretty certain they will fit under all chairs if just in a nylon ruck sack or really light weight bag. It's kind of a good idea, might use it lol.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They likely will fit as long as you don't expect them to stand upright. Space in front of the aisle seat is smaller than the space in front of the middle or window seats. There's a rectangular box under aisle seats that decreases the storage space, and you can't have anything spill into the aisle, whereas the foot space on window seats bow out, allowing more volume.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I carry my boots and helmet all the time, along with a large carry on. My helmet and boots fit under the seat, and they change places with my feet once the plane is in the air. On southwest I can usually get them into the overhead. Sometimes a flight attendant will say something, but IME they all know better than to try to take boots away from skiers. The worst case is I'll put them on my feet.

dm

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Mine rode under the seat all the from Denver to Santiago but I wear 24.5's. I'd guess up to 27ish would fit.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I carry my boots and helmet all the time, along with a large carry on. My helmet and boots fit under the seat, and they change places with my feet once the plane is in the air. On southwest I can usually get them into the overhead. Sometimes a flight attendant will say something, but IME they all know better than to try to take boots away from skiers. The worst case is I'll put them on my feet.

dm
Oh, and wear the helmet & goggles too...you are sure to get the whole row to yourself.

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
I view my entire skiing "career" as pre-custom boots, and custom boots. A bootfitter once described my feet as an orthopedic nightmare. If my luggage doesn't make it (happened on a trip to Big Sky -- got it mid-week), as long as my boots do, it's a save.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
I’m a 9 1/2 btw, and it’s a United flight.

Ahhhhhh United's basic economy product. Great in concept and execution for the basic no baggage flyer but questionable for the skier. A 27 under the United economy product seat is going to be tight. Try stowing them in the overheard because at the end of the day the flight attendants will not be paying full attention and will be focused on getting the aircraft ready for departure which should afford you a little time. Be forewarned, you will have to pay if they dont fit. As a United frequent flyer I've seen people get dinged for items not fitting under the seat.

Sponsor

Staff online