• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Boot walk mod

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
The idea that boots with a walk mode can't "perform" is huuey. There are lots and lots of people absolutely ripping out there that are skiing boots with a walk mode.

The only time I notice a performance difference is when I forget to flip the lever into ski vs hike mode. But that’s all user error. :facepalm:

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Nice on a long boot pack. Otherwise I don't use it.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
The only time I notice a performance difference is when I forget to flip the lever into ski vs hike mode. But that’s all user error. :facepalm:

I should've expanded a bit -- I'm not saying there is no difference. Yes, the Lange RS skis better than the Lange Freetour all things considered. That is, if you like a damper boot with more dialed flex pattern over a lighter weight boot with a poppier feel.

But without comparing two boots directly -- there is no reason to presuppose a walk mode is a performance killer. If you're used to race plugs and expect that kinda performance, most boots with a walk mode will be a disappointment. But if you're used to a run of the mill, 110-120 all mountain boot -- well many of the top end boots with walk modes nowadays aren't going to let you down.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I picked up some Lange Freetour 130 from a friend for and old pair of skis and a little cash. He didn't like them so they were barely broken in.

Without a thorough break in it was tough to tell skiing mushy moguls and heavy snow in the woods in April. My feet hurt like hell, but the same thing happened last time and I eventually grew to love the old boots. While the 130 is a bit stiffer than my very old boots, they do have a different flex, especially at the cuff, and could be lacking the smooth dampness mentioned by others. After giving them some time I'll try to report back in December.

Seems that after clicking into 180+ skis with two layers of metal an extra pound on the boots isn't going to be a big factor.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The idea that boots with a walk mode can't "perform" is huuey. There are lots and lots of people absolutely ripping out there that are skiing boots with a walk mode.
Your mileage may vary, but for me it's not so much that a boot with a "walk mode" won't perform well skiing; it's that over fifty years of skiing in boots without a walk mode (including my Koflach 911s that have a walk mode, but because of the super stiff custom foamed liners the walk mode is rendered useless), I have adapted to not needing a walk mode to walk to the après-ski bar. I walk just fine in my non-walk-mode boots.
BTW I am a ski patroller, and still don't miss the walk mode.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Oh yeah.

There are plenty of boots with walk mode that ski great. Not many ski great AND walk/tour great. The Atomic XTD is one that does,

If the OP is a patroller I would think he could definitely use boots with a good sole and walk mode. In some areas having uphill capability as well is a great asset. But still, fit and comfort should be the num 1 consideration if one is gonna be in ski boots all day, day after day. Something simple and durable.

TS
kayco53

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
Been skiing for 40yrs and never had walk mode. Never had one was just thinking about it. Been walking and climbing stairs for years without it. Just thought it might be a consideration on new boots. Good soles would be nice.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’ve learned that compromise products are exactly that.....a compromise. The only determination, if its good or not, is that is the compromise important. If it is, it is a good product, if not than definitely not.

For me I dislike the compromise because I generally must sacrifice what I like most. So for me I don’t think it’s worth it as I invest in the fit and performance, and for walk I must sacrifice a little performance.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
If I patrolled, I'd certainly at least try on some walk mode boots.

I'd say even demo, but that doesn't happen. Maybe your local rep would let you try a pair of his demos/personal boots for a day.
Boots like the K2 Mindbender, Atomic XTD, Nordica Strider, Lange Freetout and Roxa R# don't give up much.

Also boots are so personal you won't know until you try yourself.

Just the ability to release the cuff for standing upright and relaxing the quads is worthwhile if standing around is part of your job.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking at getting New ski boots this fall. Wondering what people think of walk mod in the new boots or is it just trouble?
My boots get alot of use. Thanks
It seems like you are asking about durability. I fear not many people can answer that. You’d have to find someone with a 5 year old pair, who skis a lot. Most boots have changed in that time. Most reviews are from fairly new boots. I do get the impression that manufacturers are generally figuring out better, more durable and reliable walk mechanisms. Since you are a skipatroller, it would seem worth taking a shot at it.

For those of you considering the difference between a lighter, walk mode freeride boot and a top of the line alpine boot Paul Forward does a good discussion in his review of the Lange XT free:
https://blisterreview.com/ski-boot-reviews/2018-2019-lange-xt-free-130-lv

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online