• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Boot walk mod

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
Looking at getting New ski boots this fall. Wondering what people think of walk mod in the new boots or is it just trouble?
My boots get alot of use. Thanks

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I used walk mode a few times, but kept forgetting to put it in ski mode, so have totally stopped using it. I don't do that much walking in my ski boots anyway. My boots get a lot of use... Skiing. 417 days so far.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Like @Sibhusky i used walk mode a few times and forgot to flip to ski mode after the walk and found myself annoyed during that first run of the day. Some people love it, but I also think it depends on the boots. Some boots have more robust parts in their walk/ski mode while some just have small plastic parts that can break fairly easy. While my old & new boots have a hike/ski mode lever, I probably won’t be using it.

I only have a couple hundred feet to go from my couch to the lift, so it’s not a big deal.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Depends entirely on you use case and how you ski.

Do you hike a good bit of terrain? Spend a good bit of time walking to/from parking or around base area? Have to deal with kids? Work on patrol? Coach a ski team?

If you're ripping GS arcs all day and don't shuffle around much -- probably overkill. But there is a reason I see lots of patrollers and race coaches these days wearing boots like the Lange XT Freetour, the Cochise, Dabello Lupos, etc.

I wouldn't prioritize it in a boot over other characteristics unless you have good reason to. But I find mine very handy to have and it will be a feature of my next boot.

(Yes, you give up a tiny bit of performance. My skiing isn't so perfect that those 2% matter, maybe yours is. Yes some of the older mechanisms suck -- but most modern mechanisms are really dialed.)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I use walk mode starting on the walk to the bus from my house until I put my skis on. I use it in the parking lot at the Basin.

I DON'T when I'm hiking in hike-to terrain in the resort. I prefer it locked to facilitate toeing-in to the steps.

I definitely use it when I tour. ;)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've never owned boots with walk mode, but my kids use it. I've wondered if it would be nice to have when putting around greens teaching little kids, standing around, a lot, or perhaps even park and switch skiing a a more upright, less forward lean setting option.

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
If you work in your boots, stand around a lot (think race parents), having a walk mode makes some sense. Otherwise, it's not worth it. Boots with ski/walk modes just don't ski as well as a fixed cuff boot.
If you are touring, get a lightweight, touring specific boot. It will double as a stand around/walk around boot if needed. You can ski in resort with it on a limited basis but it's not much fun compared to a real alpine boot.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Totally unnecessary.
Maybe for you, but for some it is a nice feature as @Doug Briggs said...

I use walk mode starting on the walk to the bus from my house until I put my skis on. I use it in the parking lot at the Basin.

I DON'T when I'm hiking in hike-to terrain in the resort. I prefer it locked to facilitate toeing-in to the steps.

I definitely use it when I tour. ;)

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Looking at getting New ski boots this fall. Wondering what people think of walk mod in the new boots or is it just trouble?
My boots get alot of use. Thanks

The walk mode in most Alpine boots is pretty much junk and not worth it unless you want/need some touring capability. For walking to the lifts the sole and the weight of the boots have the most effect IMHO.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When I had them on a pair of boots that I also used for touring, half the time that I was in a resort I'd take two laps wondering why the flex was so squishy on a frigid day before I remembered the boots were in walk mode.

You may have better short-term memory than I have.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is a cost for everything. Not all walk features are created equal, some are better than others and some are a cost of performance. What are you willing to give up, walking/hiking convenience or Nth degree performance?

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Oh, and if you're gonna go skiing in Europe, it is mandatory you après in your ski boots so everyone will know how rad you are. Walk mechanisms and tech-binding compatible highly recommended. The first for comfort, the latter so everyone knows you tour.

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Back when I used to bootfit full time we would get requests all the time to do a "après" fit. Which is basically someone who didn't ski but wanted to look the part and have a walk mode for the comfort of walking around in the bar.

TS
kayco53

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
"après fit."????? Ok but I rather ski. I'am a patroller and thought it might help. Think will skip it as I rather have boots that perform. Thanks everybody

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
"après fit."????? Ok but I rather ski. I'am a patroller and thought it might help. Think will skip it as I rather have boots that perform. Thanks everybody

I agree with you, skiing is much better than just standing around. It was usually the parent or partner that did not ski much.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I agree with you, skiing is much better than just standing around. It was usually the parent or partner that did not ski much.

Sometimes that is what your experience on snow requires, though. Coaches, race officials, 'yellow jackets', lifties.

Sponsor

Staff online