• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Boot + Helmet BackPack - Carry On

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
Is it truly possible to find a backpack out there for Ski Boot & Helmet carry that actually fits the suggested carry on dimensions of 22" L x 14" W x 9" H.

The 9" Height seems to be the hardest for me when looking at some of these back packs. I know it's possible to stuff into some overheads, but is there something out there that actually comes close to this?

There are other examples out there, but generally the Dakine 50L Bootpack is a good example of a backpack doing boots and helmet together. Height says 13" on the specs and if it's packed out, I could see it exceeding that.

https://www.dakine.com/en-us/bags/t...MI1ZKR0Pei1wIVTp7ACh11lgyTEAQYASABEgKSLPD_BwE

Am I overthinking the carry-on dimension specs here? Feels like the only way this would work is to take the helmet out once you're on the plane.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Depending on where I'm going I use either my Transpack or a regulation sized carry-on, rolling bag. If I am staying ski in ski out I use the carry on which can fit both boots and the helmet as well with top of one boot sticking into helmet. If I will be driving around to different ski areas I bring my Transpack and usually end up taking one of the boots out in order to fit it into the overhead bins. I have done that several times and never been stopped or questioned at the gate.

quant

Don't worry; just go down.
Skier
Depending on where I'm going I use either my Transpack or a regulation sized carry-on, rolling bag. If I am staying ski in ski out I use the carry on which can fit both boots and the helmet as well with top of one boot sticking into helmet. If I will be driving around to different ski areas I bring my Transpack and usually end up taking one of the boots out in order to fit it into the overhead bins. I have done that several times and never been stopped or questioned at the gate.
I also use the Transpack with the same experience. If the plane is older with a smaller overhead compartment, I just take the boots out of the bag and put them under the seat.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I use 70 liter backpack and a small boot bag that measures 14 X 14 X 7. My boots, helmet, googles, gloves, sunglasses and one pair of socks all fit in the boot bag, but just barely. I can go away for 2 weeks with that, if I rent skis. OTOH I'm pretty tolerant about filling the area under the seat.

IME before I had that small boot bag I could always carry my boots and helmet AND a legal maximum carry on. One time a flight attendant asked me if I was gonna wear my helmet (I would have), but they all seem to know better than to question anyone's ski boots.

dm

DonC

Squeezing into my stabilyx tights
Skier
I use 70 liter backpack and a small boot bag that measures 14 X 14 X 7. My boots, helmet, googles, gloves, sunglasses and one pair of socks all fit in the boot bag, but just barely. I can go away for 2 weeks with that, if I rent skis.

After two weeks with only one pair of socks, I pity the person next to you on the plane ride back. :D

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
You might find some other type of bag that lets the boots nest flat instead of side by side. Or, just sling your boots over your shoulder (I do). Never check boots. The airport inspection agents seem to be used to ski boots in their x-ray machines. A friend flew to Calgary to ski at Banff, and her checked boots went to Reno. The airline rented boots for here, but it sure isn't the same. Anyway, she got the frequent flyer miles her boots earned. 22x14x9 will only be valid until the airlines shrink the spec again.

The airlines consider one ski bag and one boot bag to be a single piece of luggage for the purpose of gouging us on fees. I put my walking-around boots into the boot bag along with the helmet and other stuff and check it with the ski bag.

TS
oswaldr2

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
I put my walking-around boots into the boot bag along with the helmet and other stuff and check it with the ski bag.

That's a pretty good idea....haha

I have done the basic ski boot bag included with my ski bag as "one checked item" for baggage purposes. However I'm trying to become efficient with my luggage as I have the option to take public transit to the airport. If I had just ski bag + rolling duffel + boot backpack, I'd be a mean machine walking down the city streets to the train and from the train to the luggage check. I'd prefer not to carry the basic boot bag that I currently have because my helmet won't fit, I'd just use it for driving trips. I could obviously check the boots and helmet in the duffle and add some items to the ski bag, but I just got new boots this year and a new helmet last year. I'd rather have them on my person if you know what I mean.

Last edited:

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@oswaldr2

I have a Dakine DLX Cargo Pack 55L

I can put 315 BSL boots, a helmet, goggles, gloves, and likely a tightly rolled up pair of ski pants in it and it will fit in an overhead compartment on all but the smallest commercial configurations. Wear your ski jacket and you are good to go if they lose your luggage. The 1-2 seating configuration planes are going to be a problem.

Yeah I fly a lot and virtually know all the planes and who they work. I am a group 1 boarder so I normally get lucky

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
There are plenty of bags and configurations you can "make" fit in the overhead of most planes. However, in order to be 100% legit 22x16x9 it will have to be one where both boots lie flat nested L to upside down L. Anything with both boots upright or stacked will be too big in at least one of the three dimensions. Some people will take the helmet out and put it under the seat to smash the slightly bigger transpack style bags in the overhead. Getting it on that little gatekeeper box with boots and a helmet inside it is another matter though.

If it's got to be totally legal carry on the boots will have to be flat nested and not stacked.

This is what I mean by flat, nested..
high-sierra-wheeled-carry-on-boot-bag-2.png

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I agree with @crgildart

If I get a size checker at the gate, it has happened to me once (I fly 150,000+ limes per year) I would just put the helmet on my head and wear it on as a hat and deal with it onboard. Persnickety gate employees do not have the right to tell me my helmet is not a hat and wearable even tho they might try.

Just kill them with kindness and ask to see the airline and/or FAA regulation that says you can not wear a ski helmet. And they have zero right to make you keep it on while seated either.

They sometimes try to bully people, as long as you kill them with kindness you will be good.

I get profiled all the time at checkin. I often travel in gym shorts or warmup pants and a tech t-shirt. AS I walk up to the first class checkin they nicely point me to the economy checkin area.... :roflmao: A quick word about my FF status and they are very apologetic :hail::hail:

I laugh because I can see it happening as I walk up the the person in question.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I agree with @crgildart

If I get a size checker at the gate, it has happened to me once (I fly 150,000+ limes per year) I would just put the helmet on my head and wear it on as a hat and deal with it onboard. Persnickety gate employees do not have the right to tell me my helmet is not a hat and wearable even tho they might try.
Or wear your boots on the plane hahahaha!

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
Flying out of Rochester it is often the smallest commuter planes and they will gate check ski boots bagged or nude. But at least you see them do it and you have a 99.99% chance of getting them on the other end.

I have loathing for those of you who attempt to cram large carry-ons into overheads. I've had jerks drop them on me while I'm in my seat so now I get up and help the lame cheapskate at least get it into the compartment properly. It's the reason it takes 45 minutes to load a plane these days.

Sorry I meant to offend the guilty ;-p

I check my helmet and pack them in the center of clothing like an egg.

I used to pack clothing into the checked ski bag but if they are going to lose or delay a bag it will be the skis (too bulky, bags look alike, fall off carts) and I rather keep the claims/replacements simple and divided.

Just flew United Economy last minute. They shrunk the seat pitch to 31", couldn't even sit like a human. Awful airline, moo moo moo.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January