• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rod MacDonald

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hi, I'm interested generally on the technical side of mechanical things as I'm an engineer in manufacturing .

I've googled and looked at ski technical brochures , but cant find what on looking for : specifically I'd like a selection of " sectional " images of ski bindings- where you can see the inner works of the binding. Also if possible , an explanation of the working process in use where the binding is popped open and in the fully closed position (I.e in use) and how it operates under release conditions.
I realise this is rather a dry topic for most of the forum members, but I'm sure some of our technical experts can help.
Thanks in advance, keep safe everyone.

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
Rod, I'm already in that boat. The problem might be that I've limited myself to much older binding systems that are out of patent. What are you looking for? I feel like data on the way binding work and how to understand them had dried up. It's not like the old days when Gorden Lipe or Carl Ettenger would do those "Know Your Binds" in Ski or Skiing. I "bate" young ski sales people about return to center time or force...and they just look at me like a just arrived from Mars. I find all the concepts interesting and even grow more fond of older binding system that I dismissed. You can see my work on my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv8DcrNXE1DDT9fkbtz3VEg?view_as=subscriber or HRG3Design.
RickyG

Attachments

• Skiing Know Your Bindings Gertsch 6D Gordon Lipe Feb 1969.pdf
    278.2 KB · Views: 14
TS
Rod MacDonald

Rod MacDonald

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm just interested in the physical design " how it works" , not really the measurable characteristics relating to each . I'd like exploded diagrams such as are common in motorcycle or engine parts manuals , and sectional diagrams preferably in both open and closed positions with explanations of the mechanical aspects . I'll have a look at your channel, thanks for posting.

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
Rod...like this

Attachments

• Marker M4-Rotomat Drawing Sheet 4.jpg
    Marker M4-Rotomat Drawing Sheet 4.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 33
TS
Rod MacDonald

Rod MacDonald

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yeah, thanks. More interested in the rear bindings than the front though, and I'm keen to see a cross section of a complete assembled unit.

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
Rod which binding? Look through the videos and see. In the drawing section (last 1/3 roughly) there are sheet of a drawing based on the exploded front or rear. Here is the Rotomat & Brake for that heel...last two sheet of the drawing set.
Rick

Attachments

• Marker M4-Rotomat Drawing Sheet 5.jpg
    Marker M4-Rotomat Drawing Sheet 5.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Marker M4-Rotomat Drawing Sheet 6.jpg
    Marker M4-Rotomat Drawing Sheet 6.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 24

Sponsor

Staff online