• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
We have this walkway at Bromley that ski patrol and the instructors use all the time. I just think it's a poor design. We exit our quarters from the front of the building. We can go through the building, up the stairs and out the back but it's a bit of a maze and often crowded and not fast. I was resistant to use the walkway because you are walking up slope from the front and downslope when heading back to the barracks. It's a steep often slippery area of snow with a large mound at the bottom. There's a pipe there and you often use the pipe to pull yourself up onto the snow or to hang onto when you are stepping down. I was resistant to go this way but last season used it all the time because it 's the fastest way to lineup or the lifts. Noone has wiped that I know of but every time I do it I'm hoping this isn't the time I wind up on my a$$. Often ski patrol will drive their snow mobile right down to the bottom and I can't blame them. It's not an area customers go up/down often so it's mainly used by employees. One time I dropped down to my butt and slid down because it was fun but it was also safer than wondering if I was going to fall down it. I keep my personal jacket, skis and often my boot bag in the courtesy staff shed next to the lift to minimize my having to go up/down the death trap. This is also how patrol brings someone down on a sled. That's my only complaint is I wish that Patrol/Ski School exited the back of the building like at Magic to ease access to where we need to be so it's more convenient and way safer.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This incident at Northstar in 2016 was a case where the instructor was done with his morning lesson, dropped his students off at the mid mountain lodge, and was skiing down village run to his locker room in the village. (there are a couple different locker areas at Northstar, some in the village and some at mid mountain)
He was in uniform but Northstar was clear in their early statements that he was not on duty. I'm not sure how it all came out, but I know Northstar helped with expenses for his family. I know I was an employee at the time and we got a company wide email stating protocol to NOT talk about it.

This incident is (at least) one that influenced new rules about what you can do on your lunch if you're still in uniform.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah I've been told that ski area policy and VT employment law are at clear odds. Upshot- you'll need a lawyer. The whole "can't free ski in jacket" may have no legal significance. It is a deterrent.

Not sure which dept has more injuries. Snow making or ski/snowboard school.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Proper foot traction would be a good first step. Inexpensive to implement but difficult to enforce. The same is probably true for hard hats, helmets, lots of things.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I'm the ski instructor who was injured while training. Thank goodness that in Aspen I am covered by workers comp. I'm still not recovered, 4 months afterwards, and my shoulder is now looking like it may require surgery. I also did something to my injured knee yesterday and hope that it nothing that sets me back more than a day or two.

I'm a peak part time ski instructor, so I'm very thankful that my injury was covered by workers comp. If I was still a Vail employee, I'd be arguing with Vail about whether my injury was covered or not even though it appears that the law is pretty clear on the matter. Injuries are no fun, and this one has been the most difficult to recover from. So having some sort of workers comp is definitely a good thing.

Mike

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Apparently that depends, an instructor on this board was covered by Aspen Ski Co. while training. That would never happen at a Vail Resort.
Actually, if an instructor is injured during required training, for which the instructor is being paid, worker comp would apply at a Vail resort.

Lift Blog

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
It was voluntary training, not mandatory. I understand Vail believes voluntary training is not subject to workers comp.
It’s not up to Vail. The company can support its employee’s claim or not but ultimately the state decides.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It’s not up to Vail. The company can support its employee’s claim or not but ultimately the state decides.
Where the employer comes into play is how they describe the status of the employee during the incident.
Is the employee off the clock?
Is the employee doing training that is required by the department?
Is the employee under the guidance of a senior staff member?

Resorts may set up how they do training and how they describe it based on the risk management side of it.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
This has me thinking.... We have 3 days of paid training every season before they put us into the teaching schedule. During this training last December one of the instructors went down and was knocked out and broke his collarbone I think it was. Poor guy was out for the season. I wonder what our policy is with this stuff. I hope to never personally find out..................

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Hope you can avoid surgery, Mike. Heal fast & well!

James

Out There
Instructor
Where the employer comes into play is how they describe the status of the employee during the incident.
Is the employee off the clock?
Is the employee doing training that is required by the department?
Is the employee under the guidance of a senior staff member?

Resorts may set up how they do training and how they describe it based on the risk management side of it.
@Lift Blog is right though. Employers will attempt to convince you that "being off the clock" means there's no coverage. State law likely says otherwise. Vail makes people in unpaid training take off their jackets. Whether this has any effect on liability is open to question. They claim you're off the clock and thus not covered. The law likely says otherwise, but you'll have to fight for it. They're betting a good percentage won't bother.

"Required training" and "training" probably have no legal difference, but I don't know. Both involve training by someone at a higher level than you who works for the mt. Likely the trainer is paid, so that would make it even more officially part of the job. You're not there just playing and you're all employees. I suspect it's a fairly straightforward legal issue and may also depend on which state you're in.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Lift Blog is right though. Employers will attempt to convince you that "being off the clock" means there's no coverage. State law likely says otherwise. Vail makes people in unpaid training take off their jackets. Whether this has any effect on liability is open to question. They claim you're off the clock and thus not covered. The law likely says otherwise, but you'll have to fight for it. They're betting a good percentage won't bother.

"Required training" and "training" probably have no legal difference, but I don't know. Both involve training by someone at a higher level than you who works for the mt. Likely the trainer is paid, so that would make it even more officially part of the job. You're not there just playing and you're all employees. I suspect it's a fairly straightforward legal issue and may also depend on which state you're in.
I would be interested in hearing from @spencer, though he doesn't post here. I know he had a knee injury while finishing a lesson and had issues with how it was handled. He's not likely to comment on it because he still works for the resort.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
who pays for all the medical bills ?

I am curios to know if ski workers get sufficient health insurance to cover their riskier than usual job.

One would think that $200 day ticket, record breaking visitation and season pass sales that are unprecedented to the point of creating "overcrowding" at some of the ski resorts would warrant some benefit to the people/workers that make that happen. Going every day to work, providing great service to customers, making shareholders rich ...

Yet ...

MTN215.11

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
who pays for all the medical bills ?

I am curios to know if ski workers get sufficient health insurance to cover their riskier than usual job.

One would think that $200 day ticket, record breaking visitation and season pass sales that are unprecedented to the point of creating "overcrowding" at some of the ski resorts would warrant some benefit to the people/workers that make that happen. Going every day to work, providing great service to customers, making shareholders rich ...

Yet ...

MTN215.11

With all respect for your sentiments.

That is NOT the way it works.

Bottom line, ROI, free markets, employment at will, and all that

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
With all respect for your sentiments.

That is NOT the way it works.

Bottom line, ROI, free markets, employment at will, and all that

Sadly, you are correct but I am hoping that things will change ...

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Vail Resorts, the only ski company I've worked for the last dozen years, offers an employee-participation health care plan that many take advantage of. As a Medicare recipient and retired state employee with benefits, I didn't need the Vail offering, so I'm not familiar with the details, but I know many colleagues consider it valuable. I think one or two of the areas I worked for during the 38 years before offered plans I didn't need because I was working for the state.

One of the issues with resort employees can be seasonal employment.

Sponsor

Staff online