• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
A group of friends and I are considering getting a storage unit in Truckee to keep all our gear up there for the offseason. Our lease runs out on April 30, and rather than packing up all our stuff, schlepping it home, and storing it here (mostly city dwellers, so not a ton of storage), and then hauling it back up next Dec, we figure we might be able to split something up there for $15-20/per person / per month. Also, if we want to do a weekend trip in May, our gear will be up there.

My question - these are drive-up units - meaning no insulation. If we store our skis in ski bags and our boots in our boot bags (soft goods will be in crates) - is this ok? We can leave storage wax on the skis. The question is that it does get pretty cold at night and I was wondering if this would be an issue in any way for the skis or boots.

Thanks!

TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
I'd be more concerned with heat - are the units metal?

The units are metal with an outside access roll-up door.

I didn't even think about heat. I'm not sure how hot they would get in the summer. Truckee doesn't get hot like east coast hot - it's still at 6,200 ft, but the sun is strong.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Cold won't matter. Mice in the warmer months might. I would keep everything in sealed tight containers, except skis.

TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Correction: Just spoke to the guy on the phone. The units are concrete and wood, with metal doors. He said that it doesn't get too hot in the summer.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Are the roofs metal? I'm skeptical that they won't get hot if you have lots of sunny warm days. 85 degrees with bright sun on a roof and steel door can easily drive temps up.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
I was thinking the same thing, the occasional bump up to 120-125 degrees wouldn’t be a big deal as long as a normal day is under 90 degrees.

However you have no way of knowing without data. You may end up with a bunch of hot boxed skis that also need to have the bases flattened because of the conditions they were stored in.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thats a pretty good idea. Skis, kayaks, bikes, meth lab...;)

As far as the heat, it's Truckee, it won't get too hot. No hotter than it would down where you live.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
A group of friends and I are considering getting a storage unit in Truckee to keep all our gear up there for the offseason. Our lease runs out on April 30, and rather than packing up all our stuff, schlepping it home, and storing it here (mostly city dwellers, so not a ton of storage), and then hauling it back up next Dec, we figure we might be able to split something up there for $15-20/per person / per month. Also, if we want to do a weekend trip in May, our gear will be up there.

My question - these are drive-up units - meaning no insulation. If we store our skis in ski bags and our boots in our boot bags (soft goods will be in crates) - is this ok? We can leave storage wax on the skis. The question is that it does get pretty cold at night and I was wondering if this would be an issue in any way for the skis or boots.

Thanks!

I wouldnt worry about it. My skis survived a summer perfectly in my garage which has 2 uninsulated metal doors and is west facing so it gets cooked in the summer. As long as you dont leave your stuff leaned against the metal doors/walls nothing should happen to the gear. Relax, enjoy your summer

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
This has got me thinking. In the past we've put the skis in our climate controlled storage unit. Now that we have the condo we keep our skis in our lockers in the locker room. Wonder what the ventilation is like there and if they'll be ok sleeping there for the off season.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Keep your boots on a shelf or encased in something mice can't get thru. Years ago we had mice transport the entire contents of bird seed bags under the sink to ski boots in a closet. I'd also put an insulating material between the skis and a concrete floor. Concrete seems to release moisture it has stored up.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Thinking we'll keep the ski boots in the boot bags in the closet in the condo. I'm getting a waxing iron so when we're done skiing for the season I'll scrape off the existing wax and throw some summer wax on there while they go nighty night.

TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Keep your boots on a shelf or encased in something mice can't get thru. Years ago we had mice transport the entire contents of bird seed bags under the sink to ski boots in a closet. I'd also put an insulating material between the skis and a concrete floor. Concrete seems to release moisture it has stored up.

Good point on the concrete flooring. I can definitely order a wire shelf off Amazon.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
If the units are exposed to direct sun, they could get hot inside despite ambient temperatures.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you keep the skis low on the rack the concrete floor will keep them a little cooler, and ask for a shadier unit if there is one.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmm...now I'm thinking about how to use the spare bedroom at our house. I wonder if @AKMINK will let me rent it out for storage?:D I could even pick up and deliver to the Truckee area.

James

Out There
Instructor
Years ago we had mice transport the entire contents of bird seed bags under the sink to ski boots in a closet. I
It's amazing what they'll do. I've had them chew through my boot bag, get inside then chew through the thin helmet bag. Their destination was a ziploc bag containing Free the Powder leather preservative. It's all plant based, and does smell good actually.

Sponsor

Staff online