Pacific NW/AK/BC Skeetawk Ski Area in Hatcher Pass, AK

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
Pugski Ski Tester
The proposed ski area sits at mile 10.6 of the Palmer-Fishhook Road, going up to Hatcher pass. The existing parking lot sits at about 1,450 feet above sea level. The proposed beginner chair (triple chair) for phase 1a would run about 1,250′ long and have a vertical gain of about 300 feet. The proposed main chair (high speed quad), phase 1b, would be about a mile long and have a vertical gain of over 1,200′ (to approximately 2,650′ above sea level).

It looks Phase 1A is under development with the first lift towers being brought in.
IMG_1781.jpg
Photo courtesy of Lola Georg.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
Pugski Ski Tester
It looks like a trip to Alaska is in order.

Bad Bob

old n' slow
Skier
Hatcher Pass, been there skied that. There is some very nice terrain up there above and around the old Independence Mine area. For early snow we used to see some World Cup racers show up on occasions.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
Pugski Ski Tester
Hatcher Pass, been there skied that. There is some very nice terrain up there above and around the old Independence Mine area. For early snow we used to see some World Cup racers show up on occasions.
I did some cat skiing there in 96:

Summer hiking:

P-Ute

Putting on skis
Skier
Traveled to Alaska last month and took a few photos.
Skeetawk Ski Resort sign, definitely not as posh as Alyeska, yet!
upload_2019-9-11_20-31-49.png

Gate was closed and locked so I could not get a close up look. Could not see any facilities from gate area, but the gate did provide a spot to "Plug the Pug."
upload_2019-9-11_20-45-55.png

Lift towers for first lift are in place, but no cable yet.
upload_2019-9-11_20-58-59.png

This wider angle shot shows the terrain above first lift which will be accessed by 2nd planned lift (Phase 1B).
upload_2019-9-11_21-19-15.png

The upper terrain looks interesting. This will be a great local mountain.
I look forward to completion of Phase 1B and Phase 2, then returning with my skis.

Advertisement