• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I will always remember this photo of Shogo on one of the first Kryptonics boards...
d2bcef129993bcac5eef4c9d6b142dba.jpg

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Yep, Dog Bowl right? I think that BDS was the last deck he collaborated on before he passed. He signed some of them, would have been nice to get one he signed, but they go for 2-3 times what I paid for the Humpston signature one. I did go with Kryptonics (Slammers) because he rode for them at his peak.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
So many people skateboarded in SoCal when i was there. Even my hair guy at the beach skateboarded to that salon every day.

I saw a couple people on electric skateboards, I'd like to try that :)

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Not sure why, but I just ordered a Z-Flex Premium reproduction, stamped from the same mold from the old Zephyr shop where it all started. It's undrilled and ungripped so I can't easily set it up. There are still a couple Jimmy Plumber reissues out there for $200 with autographed posters. This was half that, compared to $450 for a well used original 70s deck. Will probably just display it with some wheels and trucks sitting in front of it on a shelf. If I had access to a skateshop old school truck patter jig and an expert who could drill it properly I'd set it up. For now will just leave it mint.

Last edited by a moderator:
TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
OK scored a heavy hitter old school Grail. G&S Bowlrider with Split Axle Gullwings and Road Rider 6 wheels, hardly skated condition. Some pitting in the Gullwing kingpin hardware. Don't tell Mrscrgildart how much I spent on this after also adding the correct brackets for the trucks..

Back in the family with her Warptail daddy and Fibreflex Kicktail little brother..

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I didn't remember the Road Rider wheels..until I saw the sticker. :beercheer:

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I didn't remember the Road Rider wheels..until I saw the sticker. :beercheer:
Came with 1/2 inch "Road Rider" ruby red riser pads.. too high for splitters though which aren't a wheel bite issue flat so I swapped them with the 1/4 inch risers on my Logan... which is rocking Road Rider 4's.

rpk4dotcom

More Retro memories????
Skier
OK scored a heavy hitter old school Grail. G&S Bowlrider with Split Axle Gullwings and Road Rider 6 wheels, hardly skated condition. Some pitting in the Gullwing kingpin hardware. Don't tell Mrscrgildart how much I spent on this after also adding the correct brackets for the trucks..
20228697_1747993145216216_1493231835358643843_n.jpg

One of the few things I didn't keep and wish I did. I traded my Gullwings in 1979 for a set of green Kryptonics. I know what those trucks are going for now, my lips are sealed!

1978-07-skateboarder-AD-roadrider.jpg
197X-skateboarder-AD-gullwing.jpg

Incidentally, in 1978 - Road Rider 6 - $7.95 each; Gullwing - $13.50 each, Phoenix - $12.50, Pro - $11.00

(Skateboarder Magazine July 1978)

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Heard a lot of feedback that some of the Z-Flex glass repros weren't ridable because they were too brittle and broke easily. Since they already had a bad rep I drilled mine to see for myself. It's totally ridable, not sure about dropping stairs or other air though. It's "boingy" like a Bahne or Hobie or other thinner glass shop deck from the mid 70s. Photos to come, but right now it's got Mid Tracks and re issue blue 55mms on it. It totally ROCKS tight carves down mellow hills. Got a couple more decks on the way.. Star Wars Tribute Santa Cruz(?) and a funky tie dye MPI fiberglass shorty with a big kick tail like they sold in hardware and some department stores when skating first really started to boom.

s-l500.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If only old skis were worth money like old skateboards.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
A friend of ours has had one for about a year now. He is quite happy with it . Whats a CPO?

Back in the family with her Warptail daddy and Fibreflex Kicktail little brother..

When I was a teen I used to buy and sell (to upgrade) my boards. My Bowlrider was the only one I regretted selling. Bought it from Skateboard City in SF after driving cross country with my family when I was 15.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just watched Bones Brigade: An Autobiography again. What a phenomenal documentary. As a young-un, II was totally fixated on ramp skaters and completely ignored Rodney Mullen..shame on me. Rodney was just as, if not more influentual in the progression of skateboarding as Alva, Hawk or any other.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Just watched Bones Brigade: An Autobiography again. What a phenomenal documentary. As a young-un, II was totally fixated on ramp skaters and completely ignored Rodney Mullen..shame on me. Rodney was just as, if not more influentual in the progression of skateboarding as Alva, Hawk or any other.
Mullen's still active. Search for Animal Chin's on YouTube in full.

Beyond that Russ Howell!! OMG doing this in his 60s..

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Big Red BANZAI!!!! Next to a regular one. When I bid on it I wasn't 100% sure it was the bigger one as no size measurements, just a photo and "Banzai" in the description.. Super cool to add to the collection.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
More minty Gullwing Goodies. The Phoenix has risen!

Kicktail, Bowl Rider, Warptail.

Grabbed a little MPI fiberglass kicktail, added Turbo Pro wheels. Also upgraded the Z-Flex wheels to blue 70mm since it's proven to be ridable.

Can't wait to SMASH the nose in to the curb hahahahaha!

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
New Mullen Mutt Freestyle Reissue with Tracker Ultralites and Kryptos.

Another Alva 77/78 eight inch. Bottom has no graphic left but signed by 1988 Alva team members Bill Danforth and Jim Murphy. Rolling on early Independents and first run OJII wheels

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Old School FibreFlex and another Slalom deck with a Sims sticker and painted red.. Was blue originally. Might be another G&S or a Tunnel.

Sims Pure Juice and X-Calibers on the FF. 80s 8" Gullwings and Turbo Pro wheels on the red one, I moved the trucks out on that too..

Sponsor

Staff online