• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sizing of skis

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm currently looking at skis for friends, or should I say, I'm always looking for skis for friends.

I was on a site and figured I would click on the button "What's my size?"

upload_2018-11-8_14-52-51.png

Considering I don't put too many non-beginners on skis shorter than 155 at this spec, I find it interesting. My wife is on 160s and enjoys them. On 147s, I'm pretty sure she would laugh at me. I know the industry likes to go short for beginners, but we are doing a disservice to those that should be on longer. I was influenced by an article on putting females on too short of skis and in my family I see the benefits of a little longer. Granted a 160cm ski for a 5"2" is only top of head, so it isn't really long at all.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I'm currently looking at skis for friends, or should I say, I'm always looking for skis for friends.

I was on a site and figured I would click on the button "What's my size?"

View attachment 57568

Considering I don't put too many non-beginners on skis shorter than 155 at this spec, I find it interesting. My wife is on 160s and enjoys them. On 147s, I'm pretty sure she would laugh at me. I know the industry likes to go short for beginners, but we are doing a disservice to those that should be on longer. I was influenced by an article on putting females on too short of skis and in my family I see the benefits of a little longer. Granted a 160cm ski for a 5"2" is only top of head, so it isn't really long at all.

I guess it all depends on the design/specs and build/materials of each particular ski. 144 is super short in any ski though.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe these charts work for basic carving rental skis. So much does depend on composite of ski and profile.

Hopefully I'll see if I made the right choice on recommending these. Kastle FX85

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I recently laughed at the same (or similar) online calculator too. I also find this experience at my local medium box sporting goods shop. They've got the best selection and pricing on a number of things so I continue to go back, but I'll negotiate the size on the rental skis larger. Given this, I suspect there's some rational behind these experiences. But, I can't even imagine a first timer on skis this (relatively) short.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
basic carving rental skis.

Isn't that a oxymoron? :D

The FX85 is a really nice ski for an intermediate. The taper tip and rocker allows it to ski short and be forgiving. The 157 is a good length. There is enough ski there for her to grow with.

Another good ski in the Kastle line is the LX82.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Isn't that a oxymoron? :D

The FX85 is a really nice ski for an intermediate. The taper tip and rocker allows it to ski short and be forgiving. The 157 is a good length. There is enough ski there for her to grow with.

Another good ski in the Kastle line is the LX82.
Arguably for an eastern skier the LX is the better choice

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Cool. I was going through buyer's remorse with this particular ski and size for my 12yo 5'3"/130# intermediate daughter.
The skis even arrived today and are unopened. We ski Tahoe and she likes to go between the trees on green/blue runs.

@Dwight apologies for the hijack.