• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Single Speed to a One-by.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Our Klein Attitute Race was a fun single speed when Tricia was back in Michigan and it was rolling terrain but here in the hills of Reno it is no fun in the varried terrain. So..I am thinking of changing it to a One-by. We have the cassette that was on the bike which had a 30T but I am not sure that is enough with the 32 front (old middle) ring, I do have the 24 from the small that could be used too. It is an old black Shimano LX rear hub which is not wide enough to get it to a 8, 9 or 10 speed sprocket. Since I have the parts, should I just start with the 30/30 or should I just go to the 24 in the fromt for a 24/30?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
the biggest issue with a one by on a 7 speed is there will be no way to keep the chain from coming off the bike since you will not have a clutched Rear derail, no narrow wide chain ring, and with out either of those you need a chain guide which your bike has no legit way of mounting. These problem will be even worse on the worldest overly stiffest bike, the Klein AL hardtail, with no give.

Truthfully unless you get a new rear wheel it would be much easier to go back to a 2x7. 2x7 has to be the cheapest workable option if you kept everything from before it was single speeded. If you get a new rear wheel getting a 32 front narrow wide and a 10 speed clutched rear derailler with 11-40 rear cassette.

If you still want a hardtail there are numerous nice 1x plus sized hardtails, with modern geo, disc brake, and droppers, for less than 1k on shop form. Some MUCH less than 1k. You ll probably spend 150-200 dollars just trying to put gears back on the klein anyways.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Changes like that used to be simple. Now, nothing is compatible. Josh is right, a mongrel modification will be nothing but headaches.You need to stick with the system it came with, not try to mix modern fashion with older systems.

I use the word fashion seriously. I consider the 3X10 system to be great gearing. Mine give a perfect shift every time, a huge range, and long life. You can't find one on the trails anywhere. I guess riders here would rather stay home than be seen with anything but the latest. I just saw a $300 3X10 crankset marked down to $69.

The older systems were pretty damn good. They are cheap to maintain. We did a lot of good biking on them (still do!). Don't be afraid to use them, they are much better than say, older skis.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Imagine my surprise when I drove the car into the garage and saw my baby single speed torn apart. :eek:

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Are you sure you can't get an 8,9, or 10 speed cassette on there? Let's see that hub, I think you probably can. If I were you, I'd put a 10-spd on there. Sunrise makes a 10 spd 11-46 that won't break the bank. Buy a cheapish narrow-wide 32t up front. Get a cheap clutched RD like an SLX and a matching shifter and you are all set.

If the wheel really won't take a wider range cassette, you are on 26"... people are pretty much giving those away.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I'm w/ @epic on this. There really aren't many 7spd cassette hubs out there. They existed for about 1-2 years before the 8/9/10 spd hub spacing became standard.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have access to the parts bin at the shop I am out and I can play with this and be into ot for les than $40 in parts. While I have the 7 speed cassette that was on the bike originally, the big ring is a 30 and pretty darn heavy. I found a 12-32 7 speed that works. I have an XTR deraileur to put on and there are 7 speed STX shifters on Ebay and I have one of them on order. Worse case, I can always put it back to a One-by.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
the biggest issue with a one by on a 7 speed is there will be no way to keep the chain from coming off the bike since you will not have a clutched Rear derail, no narrow wide chain ring, and with out either of those you need a chain guide which your bike has no legit way of mounting.

Truth on the chain retention.

Call Wolftooth Components and tell them the crank you have.

They probably have a "narrow-wide" chainring that will play nicely with your crank and 7-speed chain, and they are priced reasonably at around $60 IIRC.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, the project is almost complete, now for just the fine tuning. All the parts came in that I needed, rear 12-32 cassette, Alivio 7 speed shifter and a Sram 830 chain for less than $35.00 Before putting on a rear derailleur with a clutch, I figured I would try the XTR that I had and sure enough it worked. I still have on the 22 tooth small along with the 32 toot but I will end up removing the 22 when I get to the shop (I don't have a crank puller at home). I will run the 32 for a while to see how that is but combined with the 32 in the back, while it should be low enough, I might see if I feel I need to go with a 30. Even adding the cluster in the back, the bike hasn't lost harny any of it's playfulness but now it can actually go up hills.

fullsizeoutput_6f77.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6f78.jpeg

Yes, I know I need a cable end. ;)
fullsizeoutput_6f79.jpeg

Need to remove the small ring and move the 32T to the inside of the crank.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Now all you need is a nineteen year old, with a full complement of cartilage and synovial fluid, to ride it.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The last peice of the puzzle was to move over the front 32T middle chain ring to the left sde of the crank arms and that allowed the rear cassette to go from 12-32T with ease and no chain drop. In the process of swapping the chainring, I decided to leave the 22T ring on, firstly because because if the 32/32 wasn't enough for climbing, I could either manually move it to the 22T or if I find that I DO need the 22/32, I could just shorten the chain and drop the 32T front ring. I went in conservative and used the 22T front ring. On the climb with the 22T, I never needed the 32T in the rear, so t makes me think that the 32T front will probably be enough especially once I get stronger and some better skills get added. I took the Klein 1x7 out today and quite frankly if lived up to all of my expectations and does what I wanted it to do, for my bench mark climb that I have been using as the reference for the other bikes, and ny surprise of the bikes thati climbed this section, the Klein was indeed the slowest, by about 15 seconds.

As far as riding this 25 year old Klein Attitude, I can really feel how much things have changed. The Fox fork has maybe 80mm of travel, the 28" RaceFace bars feel narrow compared to the 32" modern bars. As mentioned earlier in the thread, Kleins are know to be stiff...I-beam stiff..Consult your doctor in 4 hours stiff. I am just thankful that i had on a saddle that has some give. The other geometry that really stood out was how steep the headtube angle is, in doing some research, it is about 71* depending on size. I will say the Klein Death Grip 2.35" tires are awesome in the soft Tahoe dryyyyyy moondust.

IMG_0200.JPG

Yes, the Attitude Race is a bit small for me..I prefer to say, it is nimble or tossible.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, the Attitude Race is a bit small for me..I prefer to say, it is nimble or tossible.

Dude, that thing would fit me. Well, minus a few dozen spacers on the steerer tube. :roflmao:

But ignore the heckling. Awesome that you're having fun with the bike. You guys in for the Moab gathering?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
lol small bike arent not nimble........they are just more jitterier and rougher.

I will never ride an AL Hard tail again, my body can nt take it.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
lol small bike arent not nimble........they are just more jitterier and rougher.

I will never ride an AL Hard tail again, my body can nt take it.
One thing about Kleins is that they are unusally long. Seat poast to handlebars on the small Klein is 28" and on the medium Trigger is 26"

I will agree that these are about the siffest AL bikes out there. .

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
One thing about Kleins is that they are unusally long. Seat poast to handlebars on the small Klein is 28" and on the medium Trigger is 26"

I will agree that these are about the siffest AL bikes out there. .

That measurement doesn't really mean what it used to since head and seat angles have changed so much. Measure the wheelbases, and see how they differ. You really want to measure "reach", TT length doesn't mean what it used to.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We did a 10 mile ride on some new terrain, much of which was rocky and bumpy. Phil did great on the Attitude. I'm afraid to ride with him when he gets a new bike. I won't be able to catch him at all. Even now, I can't stay with him on a ride.
IMG_0235.JPG

Sponsor

Staff online