• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Silver Mountain (ID) Ownership; 49º North (WA) Future

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Nope. But if I did I'd stick to Disneyland or Knott's Berry Farm for the coasters.
Funny, I think of Disneyland and Knott’s as great theme parks for kids, and I like them just fine for the overall fantasy experience, but for roller coasters the real grown up action is Six Flags Magic Mountain.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
@chopchop here is a link to another non-Disney, Anti-Whistler mountain in southern Alberta, Castle Mountain. I like to tell people that Castle is the greatest mountain in north America that you have never heard of.
https://www.pugski.com/threads/unofficial-guide-castle-mountain-resort-ab.4764/
What do all the Canadians have against Whistler by the way? Crowds on weekends can get out of hand and it is a finicky mountain weather wise, but wow is it beautiful when it's on and great skiing (when it isn't icy). Doesn't seem too Disney, though I have never been in summer.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Since you started talking about roller coasters ironically between Coeur d'Alene and Sandpoint, ID is Silverwood Theme Park. 4 coasters both wood and steel. 6 Flags tried to buy it, and they wouldn't sell. Try it, you'll like it.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Wasatchman, in answer to your question about Canadians who don't like Whistler:

Whistler is great for double black terrain mostly on the very upper mountain. It is also great if you live 1.5 hours away in Vancouver. However, if you are a typical ski-weeker looking to ski blues and blacks, why line up in the rain and overpay for everything when the rest of western Canada offers better quality snow, way, way less crowds and at less cost?

OTOH, Whistler has the very best partying and the most ski centric shopping. If it is for sale by the ski industry in North America, you can probably find it at Whistler.

The inverse of your question would be: Why do Americans like Whistler so much. And the answer is that a lot of Americans gravitate to the biggest, greatest, most famous etc. So Whistler being the largest ski resort in N.A.....

Another example: Revelestoke has been over hyped based on greatest vertical in North America.

Last edited:

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
@Wasatchman, in answer to your question about Canadians who don't like Whistler:

Whistler is great for double black terrain mostly on the very upper mountain. It is also great if you live 1.5 hours away in Vancouver. However, if you are a typical ski-weeker looking to ski blues and blacks, why line up in the rain and overpay for everything when the rest of western Canada offers better quality snow, way, way less crowds and at less cost?

OTOH, Whistler has the very best partying and the most ski centric shopping. If it is for sale by the ski industry in North America, you can probably find it at Whistler.

The inverse of your question would be: Why do Americans like Whistler so much. And the answer is the a lot of Americans gravitate to the biggest, greatest, most famous etc. So Whistler being the largest ski resort in N.A.....

Another example: Revelestoke has been over hyped based on greatest vertical in North America.
Fair enough. The crowds at Whistler can often get miserable and it is finicky weather wise.

Can't speak for others but I like like Whistler as when it is on, the skiing is great (some really special terrain) and the scenery is beautiful. But I haven't skied anywhere else in Canada. I really want to explore more of the other Canadian resorts. I probably would like many of the other resorts more as first and foremost I detest crowds. I've experienced the worst weekend crowds at Whistler than I think anywhere else I have been. Like a 50 minute wait on 7th Heaven.

And while I enjoy après, it's by no means that important to me to choose a ski resort for.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can't speak for others but I like like Whistler as when it is on, the skiing is great (some really special terrain) and the scenery is beautiful.

The last time that I skied Whistler a few years ago likely will be the last time.

It started snowing Thurs. afternoon and didn't stop until Friday night after leaving 110cm. of good quality snow. Upper mountain closed Fri and Sat morning for avi control. People started lining up at the closed lifts from the get go. I skied around on the groomers and got in a lift line at 10am and 35 min. later the lift opened, 20 min. after that I got loaded on a chair. I got a great thigh deep run back to the lift to a 20 min lift line, one more thigh deep run and then that was it for powder skiing as completely cut up snow was all that remained, everywhere.

One other thing about Whistler is that the best time to go is early April. Crowds are completely gone, everything is on sale, and while it can rain at anytime at WB, springtime is the best chance of getting sunshine. Late April and May is the start of bike season in the valley, ski sales are over, one of the mountains will be closed for lack of skiers.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
The last time that I skied Whistler a few years ago likely will be the last time.

It started snowing Thurs. afternoon and didn't stop until Friday night after leaving 110cm. of good quality snow. Upper mountain closed Fri and Sat morning for avi control. People started lining up at the closed lifts from the get go. I skied around on the groomers and got in a lift line at 10am and 35 min. later the lift opened, 20 min. after that I got loaded on a chair. I got a great thigh deep run back to the lift to a 20 min lift line, one more thigh deep run and then that was it for powder skiing as completely cut up snow was all that remained, everywhere.

One other thing about Whistler is that the best time to go is early April. Crowds are completely gone, everything is on sale, and while it can rain at anytime at WB, springtime is the best chance of getting sunshine. Late April and May is the start of bike season in the valley, ski sales are over, one of the mountains will be closed for lack of skiers.
When I have been to Whistler (usually around February) the sales even then were among the best I have ever seen. Like used Volkl Mantras with good bindings for like US$125.

If it weren't for cost of luggage and I already didn't have so many skis, I would have bought them. I kept thinking why does anyone even bother to rent skis at Whistler as you can buy used ones for crazy cheap prices.

Thanks for tip on April. But next time I go ski Canada, it will definitely be to try some of the other resorts I haven't tried.

And while I think the Wasatch in Utah is beautiful, I think you've got one on us with the Canadian Rockies. Wow.

TS
chopchop

chopchop

so many skis, so little time
Skier
Most of the STUFF at Silver the Condos, water park Gondi were started by previous ownership Hagadon Hospitality. Its' long time name was Jackass Skibowl and it just doesn't get too much more local than that. It may have more trimmings now but the same heart beats in the mountain. I have not skied there much in the past 2 seasons but did buy the combo pass with 49° North for the coming season, I like the place a lot.

Was a little worried about what was going to happen at 49° North so talked a bit to those in the know and they have some really good plans for my hill I can get behind. With that said COVID-19 re prioritized some of those plans, but some have started.
The day lodge got some much needed spiffing up.
They are doing major expansions on the snow making right now to get more consistent openings and coverage on the lower terrain. The ultimate plan, as I was told, is to add snow making up Silver Ridge (the main top to bottom run) to insure better coverage longer in the season.
There are serious plans for a new lift to parallel Chair 1 (the top to bottom workhorse of the ski area) and use the old chair to feed the top 1/2 when weekend crowds make it desirable. Look at the layout of the hill and the top of chair 1 creates a really nice 1,000' vertical area all by itself: trees, glades, moderately steep groomers, bumps, not bad off of 1 chair. 49° needed the infusion to stay viable in the market, it is a greatly underused ski area.

Schweitzer is the 800 lb gorilla in the region for being a 'resort'. Silver runs a far distant 2nd, while Mt. Spokane and 49° North are a full lap behind. Lookout Pass is a whole different layer of laid back, they still have free lesson programs for the kids (that is not very Disney in anyone's book).

The actual skiing is really good at all of these places but don't tell anybody else please.

@fatbob - so glad you chimed in here with this local knowledge.

Jackass Skibowl is one of the best hill names I've ever heard. Would be fun to have some memorabilia (lift chair bench?) with that stamped on it.

Great to hear about those development details about 49N. All focused on the quality of the skiing experience.

I read a little about the Eminger-led Sun Basin residential development that was reported on 2015 and launched 2016. Did that ever get off the ground other than cutting some roads? Landsat 2020 imagery shows zero units built:

I imagine those plans are still alive.

Lookout Pass looks like a fun hill. Nearly 360º aspect. Parking lot right there. $319 season pass??? 400" annually? Crazy.

I'm all about finding the semi-hidden/undervalued gems and am like you: no desire to share widely any great finds :) In fact, I almost didn't post this thread for that reason. But, that's probably pretty silly thinking. Folks who are motivated will find the good stuff.

TS
chopchop

chopchop

Skier

Had a day like that at Jackson Hole this Feb. Brutal lines. Delayed opening. One pristine-ish run.

Saving grace was some afternoon demos where I fell in love with some skis.

I won't go so far as to say I'll never be back. But it definitely colored my view of JHR in the era of IKON.
JHR_2020.jpg

TS
chopchop

chopchop

Skier

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Had a day like that at Jackson Hole this Feb. Brutal lines. Delayed opening. One pristine-ish run.

Saving grace was some afternoon demos where I fell in love with some skis.

I won't go so far as to say I'll never be back. But it definitely colored my view of JHR in the era of IKON.
View attachment 104966
Yup. No question the mega passes are changing things. Might have to join you at 49* North

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
@fatbob - so glad you chimed in here with this local knowledge.

Jackass Skibowl is one of the best hill names I've ever heard. Would be fun to have some memorabilia (lift chair bench?) with that stamped on it.

Great to hear about those development details about 49N. All focused on the quality of the skiing experience.

I read a little about the Eminger-led Sun Basin residential development that was reported on 2015 and launched 2016. Did that ever get off the ground other than cutting some roads? Landsat 2020 imagery shows zero units built:

Lookout Pass looks like a fun hill. Nearly 360º aspect. Parking lot right there. $319 season pass??? 400" annually? Crazy.

I'm all about finding the semi-hidden/undervalued gems and am like you: no desire to share widely any great finds :) In fact, I almost didn't post this thread for that reason. But, that's probably pretty silly thinking. Folks who are motivated will find the good stuff.
The condos at the bottom of Sunrise Basin has 1 building as of April. There has been 1 building since 2018, still don't think it is finished. 3 or 4 4 plex's would make no difference. I stood in a line once this year, they had power problems for about 10 minutes.
Lookout does have a very cool old school vibe and best snow in the region.

TS
chopchop

chopchop

Skier
The condos at the bottom of Sunrise Basin has 1 building as of April. There has been 1 building since 2018, still don't think it is finished.

LOL. Sooooooo overdevelopment isn't a huge problem, I gather :)

I wonder what the story was there. It was billed a $500MM mega project back in '15.

The 2020 Landsat image (must be no older than 60 days) does show several earth-moving vehicles and containers suggesting it's moving forward, maybe with TF giving it a new push. Regardless, a few condos away from the main base does not a Disney make.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier

I wonder what the story was there. It was billed a $500MM mega project back in '15.
The 2020 Landsat image (must be no older than 60 days) does show several earth-moving vehicles and containers suggesting it's moving forward, maybe with TF giving it a new push. Regardless, a few condos away from the main base does not a Disney make.

The gift shop at Silver sells plenty of Jackass-themed merchandise. The link you posted takes me to a Google Maps view that, yes, says copyright 2020... but it's the exact same aerial view (tractors and their shadows in the exact same spots) that Google Earth dates July 29, 2016. I think the 2016 date is the correct one, because Bob's right, there's one condo building finished or near-finished, and has been for a couple years. I've seen tracks from the slopes to the condos and just assumed folks were staying there, but maybe not.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
There is a real estate office down in the yurts by the bottom of the lift. Never paid any attention to it cause just not interested.
If I wanted a place closer to the hill (45 minutes now) would look down in Chewellah 10 miles from the ski area with all the important stuff; a grocery store a golf course, and a good little brewery.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’ve been thinking for a while now that mega passes may become a really good thing for the more mom and pop type ski areas. As things get more and more out of hand at the big players people are going to start desiring the experiences found at small to mid sized, off the grid type areas.

TS
chopchop

chopchop

Skier
I’ve been thinking for a while now that mega passes may become a really good thing for the more mom and pop type ski areas. As things get more and more out of hand at the big players people are going to start desiring the experiences found at small to mid sized, off the grid type areas.

That plus COVID. For me it was mostly COVID. Otherwise I would be in SLC Dec-March w/side trips to WY, CO, NM. But given the likelihood of visitor caps, a need to pre-register, and other annoyances at already busy resorts, I'm going this route and passed on IKON this year. Not sure if my choices represent anything other than one person's choices but you very well may be right.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January