• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sidecut World Cup Diamond Guides?

racerchaser

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Does anyone have experience with Sidecut World Cup Diamond Guides?

I am interested in Sidecut’s World Cup side bevel guides and circular diamond files because:
1.They diamond files are round and
can be rotated. Hopefully this would lead to longer file life.
2. There appears to be a very solid connection between the file and the guide. I believe it would be an ideal tool for my daughter to use to learn how to sharpen her own edges.

I appreciate feedback from the Pugski community!

Thank you!
Racerchaser
Donner Summit

Attachments

• 4F1BE78B-C4E6-4A50-8A8D-1C57D8181525.jpeg
    4F1BE78B-C4E6-4A50-8A8D-1C57D8181525.jpeg
    13.6 KB · Views: 44

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
They are great. No issues and build quality is very high.

No clamp makes it easy for the kids as well and one less thing to go wrong for them.

Noticing more parents out that way are going for a razor tune however for the kids used to machine tuned edges. (Wouldn’t trust them with the snow glides!)

Last edited:

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Does anyone have experience with Sidecut World Cup Diamond Guides?

I am interested in Sidecut’s World Cup side bevel guides and circular diamond files because:
1.They diamond files are round and
can be rotated. Hopefully this would lead to longer file life.
2. There appears to be a very solid connection between the file and the guide. I believe it would be an ideal tool for my daughter to use to learn how to sharpen her own edges.

I appreciate feedback from the Pugski community!

Thank you!
Racerchaser
Donner Summit

Never used one. Seems like a good solid tool. The ones with the stainless glide would be the only way to go.
Just looking at the videos, my only concern would be it may easily rock due to the shortness of the disc and tool it self.
With some practice I'm sure it would be all good.
Stone life with any stone depends on using plenty of fluid, and not over pressuring the stone, especially on a damaged burred edge.
The no clamp design is a huge bonus to insure the stone will stay at the correct angle.
I use the Side Of The BEAST Pro. It's awesome.
One might want to look into the cost of the stones compared to "standard" rectangular stones.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
I use the German version http://www.hk-sportservice.de/epage...Alpin/"Kanten Bearbeitung"/"Disc Edge Winkel" they are better finished and a bit cheaper than the Side Cut diamond guides. I think most of the Side Cut ski tools are copies of older HK-Sportservice tools. They are very solidly built, glide smoothly along the skis and are easily held by small hands.

You could also look at the Swiss made Tooltonic tools which are also suitable for people with small hands https://www.tooltonic.com/en/

Cdninak

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I use the Sidecut WC file guide with clamp as well the WC Diamond Guide and highly recommend both. I’ve had my kids (6&9) start using the diamond guide when I’m tuning to start getting a feel for sharpening.

James

Out There
Instructor
I use the German version http://www.hk-sportservice.de/epages/Konrad_Herbert43839588.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Konrad_Herbert43839588/Categories/Shop/Tools_Alpin/"Kanten Bearbeitung"/"Disc Edge Winkel" they are better finished and a bit cheaper than the Side Cut diamond guides. I think most of the Side Cut ski tools are copies of older HK-Sportservice tools. They are very solidly built, glide smoothly along the skis and are easily held by small hands.

You could also look at the Swiss made Tooltonic tools which are also suitable for people with small hands https://www.tooltonic.com/en/
The German ones look good.
The Swiss Tooltonic look really only good for touch up. The file and diamond stone are tiny. I'm curious as to how the fabric back that touches the ski base works?

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
The German ones look good.
The Swiss Tooltonic look really only good for touch up. The file and diamond stone are tiny. I'm curious as to how the fabric back that touches the ski base works?

Given a choice I think most people would choose the German one, it has rounded edges, the edges on the Side Cut guide are quite sharp. The stainless plate on the Side Cut guide is overly thick and doesn’t extend quiet as far down the base as the one HK-Sportservice guide.

The Tooltonic is surprisingly capable for something that small, the black fabric is a piece of elastic held in place by two steel pins, there is a gap between it and the body of the tool down which the filings fall. The file is a bit on the short side but you can replace it with a longer one. The diamond disks spin during use, the holder is fitted with bronze bearings.

The Quarter is for scale and the grey disk on the left is a bored out fender washer with some wet and dry sandpaper stuck to it.

Tools.jpg

Bear in mind that Racerchaser chaser is looking for something for his daughter to use.

Sponsor

Staff online