• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Side Wall Fracture - Fixable?

Roman

Putting on skis
Skier
Hi There, I am looking for a used pair of skis at a good price. The skis seem to be in good condition, however, I am concerned with the side wall fracture and edge compression. I've been doing basic maintenance on my skis for a while but have no experience with this type of damage. Any ideas if this is fixable?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 132

James

Out There
Instructor
I'd keep looking unless that's really really cheap.
It's hard to tell from such a photo. I had a ski I did something similar to first week I owned it, and skied for years. Buying it like that is another story. Why bother?

TS
R

Roman

Putting on skis
Skier
I'd keep looking unless that's really really cheap.
Thank you for the prompt reply. These are Stockli SC priced at $350. I am not in a hurry so will probably keep looking since I tend to keep skis for a couple of seasons at least.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi There, I am looking for a used pair of skis at a good price. The skis seem to be in good condition, however, I am concerned with the side wall fracture and edge compression. I've been doing basic maintenance on my skis for a while but have no experience with this type of damage. Any ideas if this is fixable?

PM @surfsnowgirl she sells a lot of used stuff....she might have something for you.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Thank you for the prompt reply. These are Stockli SC priced at $350. I am not in a hurry so will probably keep looking since I tend to keep skis for a couple of seasons at least.
$200 too high, $100 too high if they come with bindings. You can fill the crack with epoxy and hope moisture doesn't get in. You'll have to forever ski that bashed edge in the outside.. That takes 50% of the useful life out of the skis without the compromised moisture integrity issues likely to eventually happen.

TS
R

Roman

Putting on skis
Skier
$200 too high, $100 too high if they come with bindings. You can fill the crack with epoxy and hope moisture doesn't get in. You'll have to forever ski that bashed edge in the outside.. That takes 50% of the useful life out of the skis without the compromised moisture integrity issues likely to eventually happen.
Makes sense. I will pass on this option.

James

Out There
Instructor
What size are you looking for?
SC only or AX, etc?

Ski prices don't always make sense. I could take a popular pair, with many days on it, run over it with the car a couple times, and sell it for $200-250.
Meanwhile, a pristine pair for $450 has trouble selling.
Then unpopular pairs in good shape with fresh tunes have trouble selling. Even cheap.
I'd say recently, people are willing to pay more for good skis. Don't know if it's true but seems it.

TS
R

Roman

Putting on skis
Skier
What size are you looking for?
SC only or AX, etc?

Ski prices don't always make sense. I could take a popular pair, with many days on it, run over it with the car a couple times, and sell it for $200-250.
Meanwhile, a pristine pair for $450 has trouble selling.
Then unpopular pairs in good shape with fresh tunes have trouble selling. Even cheap.
I'd say recently, people are willing to pay more for good skis. Don't know if it's true but seems it.
I've kept my eye on both. I am 6' tall and 190lb so I was thinking about AX 175 or SC 170/177 (I seem to be in between sizes).