• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sidas High V3 ski boot liner modification

jeff foreman

Putting on skis
Skier
Anyone know if these will take up space in a Atomic Hawx Ultra 130 1597804588568.png for a small ankle bone issue? How heavy are they? Next to nothing online or at the site providing any details.

1597804588568.png

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
it is a very light liner (construction is of ultralon type foam, so they will compact fairly quickly if there is space in the shell,the material will take a up a bit of space but more likely in the forefoot than the ankle

if you want to really suck up rearfoot volume have a look at zipfit Grand Prix freeride or Sidewinder, but when fitting only heat the liner NOT the shell as that will allow the shell to be pushed out further with the volume of the liner and when it settles down it will be back to too much volume (hope that makes sense)

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Taking up space with a heat moldable liner like the Sidas, totally depends on the amount of room you have in your Atomic Hawx Ultra 130 in relative terms to the volume of your foot. If your foot is stuffed into the boot and building in a fit pocket for your sore ankle is because it needs space, then the Sidas could be a good solution. If your ankle is sore because your ankles are banging around like a BB in a coke can because the volume of your foot and the shape of the Hawx shell are not a matched, is cause for looking at other solutions. Like CEM mentioned putting in a thicker denser liner like the Zipfit, or possibly a foam injected liner, or investing in a whole new boot that provides a love match of your foot and the boots internal shape without adding or subtracting space. Best served by getting into a good fitter that can help you assess the match between your foot and the boot you own.

TS
jeff foreman

jeff foreman

Putting on skis
Skier
it is a very light liner (construction is of ultralon type foam, so they will compact fairly quickly if there is space in the shell,the material will take a up a bit of space but more likely in the forefoot than the ankle

if you want to really suck up rearfoot volume have a look at zipfit Grand Prix freeride or Sidewinder, but when fitting only heat the liner NOT the shell as that will allow the shell to be pushed out further with the volume of the liner and when it settles down it will be back to too much volume (hope that makes sense)
thanks. will this liner be very different from my intuition Dreamliner's? They feel like I am skiing on cleaning sponges compared to the burly Atomic stock liner. The plastic tongue on the Atomic really helps take up negative forces but being a 30.5 makes my boot heavier than desired and of course the stock liner is packed out. I love Zipfits but not available locally and of course heavy. I am told the new Mimic liner is not fuller in volume in the ankle area relative to my now older version. I appreciate your feedback.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
thanks. will this liner be very different from my intuition Dreamliner's? They feel like I am skiing on cleaning sponges compared to the burly Atomic stock liner. The plastic tongue on the Atomic really helps take up negative forces but being a 30.5 makes my boot heavier than desired and of course the stock liner is packed out. I love Zipfits but not available locally and of course heavy. I am told the new Mimic liner is not fuller in volume in the ankle area relative to my now older version. I appreciate your feedback.

its kind of similar to the intuition in terms of same type of material, zipfit is slightly heavier yes, but you are in a light weight shell so that balances things out a bit.... next question is are you really a 30.5??? have you tried smaller? remember all boots can be made a little bigger (just checking as this is such a common thing)
the new mimic liner feels just like the existing one out the box, the difference being the 3D type material around the rear foot is customisable to give a more personal fit, not any difference in volume.... Mimic Pro coming (21/22) will offer a cartridge type foam fill for even more personalisation and it will take up some more volume around that area

TS
jeff foreman

jeff foreman

Putting on skis
Skier
its kind of similar to the intuition in terms of same type of material, zipfit is slightly heavier yes, but you are in a light weight shell so that balances things out a bit.... next question is are you really a 30.5??? have you tried smaller? remember all boots can be made a little bigger (just checking as this is such a common thing)
the new mimic liner feels just like the existing one out the box, the difference being the 3D type material around the rear foot is customisable to give a more personal fit, not any difference in volume.... Mimic Pro coming (21/22) will offer a cartridge type foam fill for even more personalisation and it will take up some more volume around that area
Wow great to hear about the newer mimic. Yeah I am a 30.5. I always go down at least one full size. I am US 13-13.5. Dialing the boot fit has been a issue for years. Have tried Raptors, Lange, Rossignol etc. The Hawx is really nice to accommodate my long splaying toes. Also getting a single boot to 4 lb's including the booster strap is a challenge.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Wow great to hear about the newer mimic. Yeah I am a 30.5. I always go down at least one full size. I am US 13-13.5. Dialing the boot fit has been a issue for years. Have tried Raptors, Lange, Rossignol etc. The Hawx is really nice to accommodate my long splaying toes. Also getting a single boot to 4 lb's including the booster strap is a challenge.

those numbers 13-13,5 US scare me..... i am a dead uk 11 (US 12) and easily get into a 28.5 shell, i can shoehorm my self into a couple of 27.5's as well, which is why you have to ignore the conversion chart, it is simply way way out!! what shell check have you got in your 30.5?

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm in a Lange RS130 in 30.5, but my US size is 14-14.5 (longer right foot, 6'6", 225 lb). If you have volume to take up, you probably should listen to CEM about downsizing your boot. However, I hear you about new liners, mine are close to packed out and I was eyeballing the Zipfits when I last visited my bootfitter for a tweak...

TS
jeff foreman

jeff foreman

Putting on skis
Skier
those numbers 13-13,5 US scare me..... i am a dead uk 11 (US 12) and easily get into a 28.5 shell, i can shoehorm my self into a couple of 27.5's as well, which is why you have to ignore the conversion chart, it is simply way way out!! what shell check have you got in your 30.5?
I always shell check for a performance fit so about 1" behind the heel. I think the issue with this boot is the last. I have been in a 29.5 in a Rossi allspeed elite. The problem remains the fit in the rear and I don't know that 2mm max of last width going down will solve my issue?

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
I would not sell a rank beginner a shell fit with 1" behind the heel. CEM is correct, your boots are too big. It is not a liner problem, it is a shell volume problem. If you measure a true 13, semi weighted on a brannock, then you are closer to a 29 shell. If you wear size 13 shoes, you need a 28 shell for performance skiing. For a performance fit that lasts a while you should be looking at a shell gap in the heel of 10 to 15mm. if you have an inch, you are at least one shell size too big! Do not throw good money away on a new liner for a boot that is too big. That liner money is half the cost of a brand new boot that is properly fit to your foot.

TS
jeff foreman

jeff foreman

Putting on skis
Skier
I would not sell a rank beginner a shell fit with 1" behind the heel. CEM is correct, your boots are too big. It is not a liner problem, it is a shell volume problem. If you measure a true 13, semi weighted on a brannock, then you are closer to a 29 shell. If you wear size 13 shoes, you need a 28 shell for performance skiing. For a performance fit that lasts a while you should be looking at a shell gap in the heel of 10 to 15mm. if you have an inch, you are at least one shell size too big! Do not throw good money away on a new liner for a boot that is too big. That liner money is half the cost of a brand new boot that is properly fit to your foot.
I was ballparking(and overstating) with the number. I have had local guys shell size me but that being said I will check out the XTD this season in the 29.5 and reduce the weight significantly at the same time. thanks

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
I was ballparking(and overstating) with the number. I have had local guys shell size me but that being said I will check out the XTD this season in the 29.5 and reduce the weight significantly at the same time. thanks
definitely have a look at a smaller size, and if needs be change boot fitter, make sure they are assessing range of motion at your ankle too, as a tight calf muscle or limitation in ROM can force your foot into the front of the boot making it feel too short... there are so many reasons that people end up in boots too big, anyone in my store who wants to go up at that 25mm shell fit needs to have a dam good reason maybe a heel instep perimeter 2 or 3 sizes above their length.... the biggest issue right now in ski boot fitting is the boot liners, if they were all good to length and a little more compliant around the front then it would be a lot easier... that said, things like this keep us in a job!

TS
jeff foreman

jeff foreman

Putting on skis
Skier
I always shell check for a performance fit so about 1" behind the heel. I think the issue with this boot is the last. I have been in a 29.5 in a Rossi allspeed elite. The problem remains the fit in the rear and I don't know that 2mm max of last width going down will solve my issue?
Purchased the 2019 Hawx Ultra 130 half price in a 29.5. Will fifth met punch right foot. Turns out that I am 107mm left foot and 109mm-110mm right foot on brannock device. My left always fits custom in any 98mm lasted boot of any brand or model. I also know there is considerable more forefoot room in the Ultra than other comparable 98mm category boots. I am assuming the tecnica punching tool will have no issue making room for the right foot without too much deformation.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Purchased the 2019 Hawx Ultra 130 half price in a 29.5. Will fifth met punch right foot. Turns out that I am 107mm left foot and 109mm-110mm right foot on brannock device. My left always fits custom in any 98mm lasted boot of any brand or model. I also know there is considerable more forefoot room in the Ultra than other comparable 98mm category boots. I am assuming the tecnica punching tool will have no issue making room for the right foot without too much deformation.

any boot press will work that shell, just go easy on the heat or you will get a lot of deformation, but if you get any it can always be rubbed out ;)

Sponsor

Staff online