• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It always comes up in comparisons. Two skis that either come out of the same factory or are under the same ownership umbrella. What are some of the common ones that go up against each other and which do you prefer and why?

Nordica Enforcer v. Blizzard Bonafide (suggested by @Jed Peters)

Just a start but it could be an interesting topic, please add your comparisons and why you choose one of the other for your needs. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
For many years, I've scratched my head about all the overlap that Head Ski Co. They are the poster-child for sibling rilvary. The classic example is the Supershape line with 4 skis all very close to one another. From narrowest to fattest, they are: Speed, Magnum, Rally and Titan. All serious hard snow carvers with Head's highest level of technology built in. The Speeds are frequently seen on World Cup podiums held by a Head sponsored athlete who trades in his race skis for the photo op skis. Must be pretty damn costly for a shop to carry all 4 and then get the right one to a perspective customer. Plus, they need to carry other Head lines.

As a small mountain eastern hard snow skier, the Supershape Speed would be ideal for my needs. It just becomes a question of justifying $1k or so to pay for it. Not going to happen soon.

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
Nordica Steadfast vs Blizzard Bushwacker. Phil knows my thoughts. Hands down, the Steadfast, for me. I thought the Bushwacker was pretty good the first time I tried one, but when I decided to buy a ~90mm ski I tried it again, along with the Line P90 and the Steadfast. The Steadfast was more precise, had better edge grip and was more confidence inspiring than either of the other two. The Steadfast also felt more stable at higher speeds.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Two skis that a separated at birth....Kastle MX88 and Stockli Stormrider 88

The Kastle prefers to be driven where the Stockli is happy do be ridden. Now these skis are so good in ever aspect, the Kastle is a little stronger and requires a little more of your attention and the Stockli is just a bit easier but still has the all of the top end performance. Think of comparing a BMW with a Benz, a 5 series with an E-class. There isn't a bad choice between the two.

Jake M

AKA Gunnerbob
Skier
Head Instinct 83 and Monster 83? Both seem frontside, but a Monster at 83 width seems a bit too thin to be "freeride" vs "carving" for the Instinct?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Head Instinct 83 and Monster 83? Both seem frontside, but a Monster at 83 width seems a bit too thin to be "freeride" vs "carving" for the Instinct?

Do you want a flat ski to put your choice of binding on or are you fine with a system?

Jake M

AKA Gunnerbob
Skier
Typically I go system on skinnies, and flat on fatties. These sound like in-betweeners?

That kinda sounds wrong haha.........

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Typically I go system on skinnies, and flat on fatties. These sound like in-betweeners?

That kinda sounds wrong haha.........

Personally, I would go the other way and get the Monster 83 and put a Pivot 15 on it. MONEY.

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
Two skis that a separated at birth....Kastle MX88 and Stockli Stormrider 88

The Kastle prefers to be driven where the Stockli is happy do be ridden. Now these skis are so good in ever aspect, the Kastle is a little stronger and requires a little more of your attention and the Stockli is just a bit easier but still has the all of the top end performance. Think of comparing a BMW with a Benz, a 5 series with an E-class. There isn't a bad choice between the two.

I gotta get on a Kastle. Will My Ski Advisor, LLC have them in their pool?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I gotta get on a Kastle. Will My Ski Advisor, LLC have them in their pool?

You need to for sure. Unfortunately, while Vail has them in their system at other resorts, they aren't in stock at Northstar. I would like to have access to some and add them to my demo/test fleet. Maybe after SIA.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Dynastar PowerTrack 89 v. Rossignol Experience 88. These two skis are vastly different in the way they perform, so different they could coexist in the same quiver. The Rossi wants to be layed over and just carve a beautiful turn where the Dynastar with it's 5 point sidecut is much more relaxed and playful in a multitude of conditions.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Phil, just knock it off with all this good spot on thought, would you? :)

Sponsor