• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 6.29.21 AM.png

Snowsports Industries America To Connect with Consumers
Agrees To Acquire BEWI Ski and Snowboard Consumer Expos​

PARK CITY, UT (November 15, 2019). Today, Snowsports Industries America (SIA) announced its intention to acquire the consumer-focused Boston and Denver Ski and Snowboard Expos from BEWI Productions, Inc (“BEWI”).

BEWI, founded in 1979 under the leadership of its Founder/President, Bernard E. Weichsel, is the producer of the Boston Ski & Snowboard Expo and the Colorado Ski & Snowboard Expo. The “unofficial kickoff to winter” for over 40 years, BEWI celebrates the winter lifestyle by connecting consumers with winter/outdoor products, resorts, specialty retail and more.

SIA understands that creating a direct connection with the consumer is critical to the future success of its membership, which is made up of stakeholders from across the industry including suppliers, retailers, reps and resorts. SIA is excited to provide a platform that not only delivers a new and authentic experience to consumers but also a valuable consumer activation for the entire outdoor industry.

“We are thrilled to be moving into the consumer space. Since the sale of the Snow Show which focused on a B to B experience, we have turned our focus to B to C. We asked ourselves how SIA can best connect our industry directly with today’s consumer and consumer expos make a ton of sense in this regard. Consumer expos create experiential and direct interactions with winter sports enthusiasts and potential enthusiasts. These expos are intended to benefit suppliers, specialty retailers, and all industry stakeholders equally. We look forward to building upon the legacy and tradition that the BEWI shows have come to represent while unveiling a new modern, consumer-oriented approach to this celebration of winter,” said Nick Sargent, President of SIA.

“I could not be happier that SIA will continue to bring consumer shows to the people of Boston and Denver. BEWI has been a long-standing partner to the winter industry and has provided the local consumer with important access to retailers, resorts and brands and created an overall excitement for winter!,” said Bernie Weichsel.

The transaction is expected to close by the end of the year and is subject to certain closing conditions. Thereafter, SIA plans to start the transformation of the Denver and Boston shows in the fall of 2020, with an eye on expanding to additional cities soon, thereby creating a nationwide network of consumer-focused events for the industry.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bernie Weichsel is a really great guy. We've had the good fortune of some long visits with him and actually stayed with him in PC last year.
He had one of the longest yet engaging speeches at the Stowe Hall of Fame ceremonies when he was inducted a couple years ago. He has a lot to share with us about the ski industry, and we should listen.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Many of the Ski Diva's were at the Boston show. They are saying that the Vail Resorts, epic pass, were not there. Including Stowe.

Now that you mention it, I don't recall seeing Stowe there. I did notice Okemo was missing and I don't recall seeing Sunapee

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
Vail Resorts does not participate in the ski shows. They have skipped the Denver event for a long while. They also pulled out of CO Ski Country—the CO version of Ski VT or Ski NH.

If SIA turns the show into a cant miss event for common skiers, then Vail could return.

If nothing much changes, folks should expect MT Snow and all the Peak Resorts to vanish from the show next year as well.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Vail Resorts does not participate in the ski shows. They have skipped the Denver event for a long while. They also pulled out of CO Ski Country—the CO version of Ski VT or Ski NH.

If SIA turns the show into a cant miss event for common skiers, then Vail could return.

If nothing much changes, folks should expect MT Snow and all the Peak Resorts to vanish from the show next year as well.

I don't get the logic. It can't be that much money to participate. Why wouldn't they want people to see their resorts at a ski show?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't get the logic. It can't be that much money to participate. Why wouldn't they want people to see their resorts at a ski show?
Perhaps it's just opportunity cost... i.e. they think shows don't reach enough or the right people and would rather spend that money to advertise elsewhere.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Perhaps it's just opportunity cost... i.e. they think shows don't reach enough or the right people and would rather spend that money to advertise elsewhere.
I suppose. I can't imagine the cost of a show is that high compared to Vail's marketing budget, though. They have a captive audience at the ski show. I know a lot of the visitors already know the resorts but they have younger kids that aren't as aware and that's the future customer base. Why not keep the Epic resorts in customers minds?

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider

It doesn't turn into bookings. Not the way that purchases are made these days.

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
I pay $1,800 to rent a 10' x 10' space at the Denver ski show each Fall and that's a 3 day show. I pay another $100 for power. Boston is a little more expensive as it's a 4 day show and costs (I think) $2,000 for a standard 10' x 10" booth space. Bigger booths obviously cost more and normally corner booths cost more too.

- Matt

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I pay $1,800 to rent a 10' x 10' space at the Denver ski show each Fall and that's a 3 day show. I pay another $100 for power. Boston is a little more expensive as it's a 4 day show and costs (I think) $2,000 for a standard 10' x 10" booth space. Bigger booths obviously cost more and normally corner booths cost more too.

- Matt

And that is just space costs - not travel, food, hotel, the cost of your booth itself and shipping it....

Most don't get that trade and consumer shows are not cheap. If I were to do it again I'm not sure that I'd go to trade shows. Consumer shows.... Would be very few and far between.

Enjoy.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
I suppose. I can't imagine the cost of a show is that high compared to Vail's marketing budget, though. They have a captive audience at the ski show. I know a lot of the visitors already know the resorts but they have younger kids that aren't as aware and that's the future customer base. Why not keep the Epic resorts in customers minds?
If you want to do that you need to rethink what the ski show really is about. Are you trying to sell hard goods, passes, tickets, random as seen on TV merch?

But it is possible. Loveland does a pretty good job. My kid clicked into skis the very first time at the Denver ski show. Loveland has a dry slope for skids to try—the kid still says it was his first time skiing. And you got to pet Parker the snow dog. Brand connection and family memory was made.

But most of the show was far less friendly for younger kids.

Past visits in Boston, also made the Denver show seem dull. Boston gets a lot more ski areas to attend, and the major resorts more often created mini zones. But that was before Vail bought Peak Resorts this year.

older institutions often exist simply because invested folks won’t let them die. Mission drift is easy to let happen when fighting just to survive.

For a new show format to work, the very reason of “why exist” Needs to be answered first.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
older institutions often exist simply because invested folks won’t let them die. Mission drift is easy to let happen when fighting just to survive.

For a new show format to work, the very reason of “why exist” Needs to be answered first.

Spot on.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And that is just space costs - not travel, food, hotel, the cost of your booth itself and shipping it....

Most don't get that trade and consumer shows are not cheap. If I were to do it again I'm not sure that I'd go to trade shows. Consumer shows.... Would be very few and far between.

Enjoy.

It's still small dollars for Vail. Pats Peak or Gunstock it's a lot bigger chunk of money.

If you want to do that you need to rethink what the ski show really is about. Are you trying to sell hard goods, passes, tickets, random as seen on TV merch?

But it is possible. Loveland does a pretty good job. My kid clicked into skis the very first time at the Denver ski show. Loveland has a dry slope for skids to try—the kid still says it was his first time skiing. And you got to pet Parker the snow dog. Brand connection and family memory was made.

But most of the show was far less friendly for younger kids.

Past visits in Boston, also made the Denver show seem dull. Boston gets a lot more ski areas to attend, and the major resorts more often created mini zones. But that was before Vail bought Peak Resorts this year.

Among other things you mention it exists to get flatlanders in NE excited about the upcoming season. Country Ski and Sports sells gear, along with some other vendors, but most of those ski areas are there to market their product, which is visiting their mountain.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
It's still small dollars for Vail. Pats Peak or Gunstock it's a lot bigger chunk of money.

Among other things you mention it exists to get flatlanders in NE excited about the upcoming season. Country Ski and Sports sells gear, along with some other vendors, but most of those ski areas are there to market their product, which is visiting their mountain.
I agree about the outreach potential and payoff for different groups.

Social media is a major change in the outreach department.

Vail says they follow the numbers and do what they can to convert and retain profitable customers. Vail gains very little in a Denver ski show. How the smaller Peak areas would benefit out east is maybe up for discussion.

Killington for a while, and now Ikon this year especially, have used great YouTube video strategies to hype and market.

Denver ski shows then come down to smaller areas making a pitch to uncommitted skiers, or folks looking for a less crowded major resort experience from the Front Range. The players are out there (Luv, ABasin, Cooper, Monarch, Sunlight, Wolf Creek, Targhee maybe). But the resort list and limited population of Denver is far smaller than what Boston draws from greater New England.

Thr Denver ski show is in need to the faster fundamental transformation. Multi resort passes and digital marketing have way more reach right now than a 10x10 booth at a convention center with paid parking and an entrance fee.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Vail Resorts always had a booth at SIA/OR in Denver with a discount pass available for anyone attending. Last year it was $299 for an Epic pass for the remainder of the year.
This year they are not on the Exhibitor list.
Mountain Collective is, as is IKON (Alterra)
I looked it up as Epic, Vail Resorts, and MTN. Not on the list. :huh:

Alterra has the booth on the Mezzanine right near the main entrance with a big presence.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Vail totally bailed on the Denver Ski and Ride Expo two seasons ago when Colorado Ski and Golf were no longer the anchor retailer at the show. My main reason for going was because Telluride had two discounted pass products only offered at a show they attended. Now that it is in place I can renew online or at Telluride.

And speaking of SIA, it will be weird not having the on snow at Copper this season.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
And speaking of SIA, it will be weird not having the on snow at Copper this season.
Weird is not the word that comes to mind for us. It sucks.
Our costs for attending OR and SIA more than tripled last year. This year its double what it was last year AND we still need to find lodging for one night between checking out of Denver and heading to Winter Park.
Don't even get us started on the mess of being at the Snowbasin trade show and Mammoth which have overlapping dates.
:nono:

Sponsor

Staff online