• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SIA 2017: Reports from the Floor

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks as though the Wasatch may be in for almost every possible condition this week....including...rain.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
Between tonight and Thursday night it is expected to rain to 9,000 feet at Mammoth with high winds and only a short break Wednesday afternoon and evening.

I called Mammoth yesterday and they had not finalized plans. They are likely to relocate the demo to Canyon Lodge to mitigate wind impact. If so that will be in pouring rain most of the event. We're taking a pass on this one.

Scheckter says possibly another 5-7 feet of snow will fall on the upper mountain.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
I just called Mammoth again and the SIA demo for Wed/Thu has been cancelled because of the weather. They are considering a reschedule but don't know when that might be.

Lucky

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I did not yet and actually it is nto on my priority to get on it at the show because I have a pair waiting for me back at home that I will be usung for an long term test. But for you...I will try to get on it this afternoon. :thumb:
Thank you

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A few standouts for me from the test at Snowbasin -
  • Gortex is waterproof for snow conditions, not rain
  • The Blizzard Sheeva 10 is unbelievable and should be on the radar of any woman who's looking for a narrowish powder ski.
  • The Armada Trace 98 skied more nimble than the Victa 93 and was super in a big variety of conditions.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Probably needs a refresh of DWR. Being in NJ, my Goretex sees a lot more rain than snow and with a good DWR coating it's always kept me 100% dry.

Reactions: Ron

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
  • Gortex is waterproof for snow conditions, not rain.

Beg to differ. Even without a coating refresh, I stay dry in my gortex, jacket and pants. Skiing New England I've had plenty of chances to test it. Don't know if it compares to Neoshell (if that's what you call it); I've heard great things about that.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
No HH coat?
The cost itself was waterproof, but I had some water seep in through the pit zips. The pants were wet on the outside but dry inside
My mittens are a different story.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Agreed. But then why do we need Goretex if it's the DWR protecting us?

Penny over on ski diva can and has answered this ad nauseum. I'm still not sure I get it, but there's a reason ...

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
The cost itself was waterproof, but I had some water seep in through the pit zips. The pants were wet on the outside but dry inside
My mittens are a different story.
Rain is hard to keep dry no matter what. Though I love HH gear.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
OK, here is a quick rundown on why GoreTex. If you are bored with technical details, skip to the short version.

Here is a long version: GoreTex (or a similar membrane) is designed to let the water vapor (steam) through and keep water droplets from penetrating the membrane. DWR coating is designed to make water bead on the outer fabric layer to prevent the formation of a thin boundary layer of water on that fabric. Why is this important? becuase GoreTex membrane is a passive object, thus to transport steam it needs some driving force. Normally, the driving force comes from the absolute humidity inside the warm garment being higher than the absolute humidity of the cold outside air (the relative humidity of course goes the opposite way, but that's behind the point). Formation of the water layer on the outer face of the fabric (when the DWR fails) kills that driving force and effectively shuts down the GoreTex membrane for vapor transport. The membrane still remains waterproof, so rain or snowmelt would not penetrate it, but now it has the breathability of rubber (i.e. none) so you will get wet from your own sweat.

Short version: Without a functioning DWR GoreTex remains waterproof, but stops being breathable, so you won't get drenched from rain/snow, but would still get uncomfortable becuase of your own sweat.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Sailing foul weather gortex is the bomb for really wet days.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
  • Gortex is waterproof for snow conditions, not rain
BTW, that statement tells you something about the design of the jacket you were wearing. GoreTex should be absolutely waterproof in the rain if a jacket is properly designed and the DWR coating is in good condition.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
BTW, this is why most GoreTex gloves/mittens suck - the membrane is almost never directly bonded the the shell, so as soon as water seeps in between the shell and the membrane, your gloves are as breathable as a pair of rubber gloves. This is why a snow-sealed leather gloves is more effective than a generic cheap/mid-priced Gore tex glove. The uber-expensive Arcteryx ski gloves are a different story- this is how a waterproof breathable ski glove should be made- there the membrane is directly bonded to the shell fabric.

Sponsor

Staff online